Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Mar 1, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #1,037 of 7,140
I'd like a comparison as well. Pity FiiO released it too soon with lots of issues and only an IEM amp module. Why one card slot as well. I know cards are getting bigger, but the X5 will always have twice the capacity. We all don't want to stream!

I've just got a new old stock X5 (1st Gen) and with a Fiio E12A Shure SRH1540 headphones, I can't tell the difference between it and the X5ii I used to have before I upgraded to the Questyle QP1R.

Yea that and I heard that it had some problems with the wireless connectivity I think. Like getting interference/noise when using wifi. Do you think the QP1R's wheel is as good as the ipod classics'?

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #1,038 of 7,140
Do you think the QP1R's wheel is as good as the ipod classics'?

ROFLMAO - sorry, the QP1R wheel is the source of all evil. Either you have to wet your fingers or you have to apply
some ugly piece of plastic to make it a bit usable. 

But it i said last firmware has improved it. Also during CanJam Singapore I was told that in future there
will be some plastic included in the package.

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #1,039 of 7,140
Once again, the "ugly" piece of plastic is a very very one sided unjustified comment. I posted a picture of my QP1R with said "ugly piece of plastic", and I defy anyone to distinguish it.

The QP1R ergonomy is not without its faults, but this talk is unjustified, at best.

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #1,040 of 7,140
ROFLMAO - sorry, the QP1R wheel is the source of all evil. Either you have to wet your fingers or you have to apply
some ugly piece of plastic to make it a bit usable. 

But it i said last firmware has improved it. Also during CanJam Singapore I was told that in future there
will be some plastic included in the package.

Wow that bad huh? Haha damn kinda discouraged about buying it now. It seemed ok when Moedawg140 reviewed it in the video. But I guess I might need to try this out first if I can. Otherwise I would have to look at the other options available for high end daps.

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #1,041 of 7,140
I'm finding the wheel works better than I originally thought. ☺

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #1,043 of 7,140
Can anybody compare these with a Lotoo paw gold? Are what people saying really true? Is it better than the AK380 or is that just preference? Coz quite shocking, considering the huuugge gap in price. But I guess the AKs are already overpriced in general.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #1,044 of 7,140
Yea that and I heard that it had some problems with the wireless connectivity I think. Like getting interference/noise when using wifi. Do you think the QP1R's wheel is as good as the ipod classics'?

I have the Fiio X7 and have had zero issue with it.
I believe having wifi restricted it two one card hence we have this split with non wifi with two cards.
Amp 2 non available in UK yet so waiting. With my Hifiman HE1000 I have to currently use with my Vorzuge amp. Sounds great.
With my QP1R I don't need the ext amp.
Software and operating the X7 beats the Questyle every which way.
I keep the QP1R because it sounds so good.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #1,045 of 7,140
I have the Fiio X7 and have had zero issue with it.
I believe having wifi restricted it two one card hence we have this split with non wifi with two cards.
Amp 2 non available in UK yet so waiting. With my Hifiman HE1000 I have to currently use with my Vorzuge amp. Sounds great.
With my QP1R I don't need the ext amp.
Software and operating the X7 beats the Questyle every which way.
I keep the QP1R because it sounds so good.

I see. Do you feel the x7 bests the QP1R in sound quality by alot or just a bit? Could you please compare the two quickly like their strengths/weakness and their sound sigs? Thanks

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #1,046 of 7,140
I see. Do you feel the x7 bests the QP1R in sound quality by alot or just a bit? Could you please compare the two quickly like their strengths/weakness and their sound sigs? Thanks

I don't think the X7 bests the QP1R I think using the Vorzuge amp helps the X7 get close.
X7 has great soundstage and clarity. QP1R is more dynamic and has the edge overall. But the QP1R won't let me delete folders on the fly whilst the X7 UI is far more sophisticated.

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #1,048 of 7,140
I don't think the X7 bests the QP1R I think using the Vorzuge amp helps the X7 get close.
X7 has great soundstage and clarity. QP1R is more dynamic and has the edge overall. But the QP1R won't let me delete folders on the fly whilst the X7 UI is far more sophisticated.

Lol sorry I meant it the other way around; the QP1R besting the x7. That's why you kept it right? Yes, agree about the ui though.

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #1,050 of 7,140
I spent the last 4-5 months trying to decide on what to upgrade in my portable rig. I really like(d) my X5 (E12A combo). It sounded great, and was a super convenient transport. I considered new IEM's or cans, maybe adding a Mojo, or upgrade the DAP. I was extremely hesitant about pulling the trigger on anything due to not wanting to deal with buyers remorse. After reading a lot of posts in forums, and several PM's to and from different members, I realized that the only thing I care about is the SQ. I've got about $8000 into my home system but can't really turn it up in an apartment (movies excluded). I'll admit that my decision weighed heavily on this thread. I highly respect Moe's experience and expertise on the subject. I mean, look at the time and energy put into this thread as well as the rest of the board. Not to mention past and present gear. Regardless of any decision...there are going to be doubts. No two ways around it.

I took a leap of faith based on the answers to my questions. Was I initially kind of put off by a UI completely different than my X5? Yes. Because I didn't know how to use it after an entire two hours of not wanting to screw something up or dropping the DAP. The wheel is entirely different than the X5. What is it like? I have no F'n idea. All I've owned is the X5 and an old COWON D2 which has no wheel.
I used to drive a Hyundai Sonata, now I drive an AWD Ford Freestyle. The wheel feels completely different but does the same thing. I didn't like the Ford when I first started driving it. If I go into an Audi, I probably***...wait...yeah...I know I'll like it. But you get the picture.

The SQ out of the Questyle is UnF***ingBelievable! And that's just on Low Gain. Is the UI a little inconvenient compared to my X5? Yes. But so is a turntable compared to internet radio. I decided against going with the FiiO or Onkyo because I already have a Note 5 in my pocket. I don't need a second Android device. I wanted something to make up for the home system that I can't listen to at a volume that "I'd like to" become accustomed to.

I ran the white filters in my 846's because that was the only way I heard the highs I was looking for. I lost the low end a bit but made up with the bass boost on the amp. Now, with the modded blue filters I'm hearing stuff on the high end I never knew existed, and there's plenty of power on Low Gain to feel the thump in my body from the IEM's in my ears. I can't wait to get the unmodified blue inserts again. I have no doubt that the QP is going to deliver on both ends of the spectrum.

I forgot...I listened to different parts of my music collect last Friday night for 5 hours straight in the dark. Of course... YMMV 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back