Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Apr 24, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #6,331 of 7,140
Does the average user find 20k songs restrictive? I have a huge vinyl collection, plus an ever increasing digital collection. I worked out a few years ago (given how much time I have left on this rock to actually sit and listen) that I won't get to listen to everything I own before I cork it. Not unless I can make it to 150 or something... :)

Even using a very conservative 3 minute average song time 20k is still 140 days of listening (7 hours per day) to hear it all. That's assuming you only listen to each track once, which isn't normally the case with favourites, new stuff, etc.. Maybe I'm thinking about it in the wrong way but 20k seems more than enough to me...

Not saying it’s restrictive but let’s throw a little math at this.

Below are a couple examples showing approximate limits if a user placed all flac or all lossy files on each card. I understand that most users are going to have a combination of all files types. I just want to illustrate that a 20k limit with the newer cards can limit the intended devices usability.

With 400GB cards there is approximately 366GB of usable storage and let’s say the average file size of a flac file is 30MB. This give you approximately 12,500 flac files per card. Since QP1R has 2 slots double this to approximately 25,000 flac files. If users put lossy files you are talking approximately 1/10 the file size so 125,000 lossy files per card or 250,000 total.

Now with 512GB cards soon to be released let’s say 460GB is usable space. With the same size files as above we are talking approximately 16,000 flac files or 160,000 lossy files per card. Again double if you have 2 card slots.

Personally I’d rather see the internal storage of the device be made to handle these size databases than left as space for users to place music on. Databases are designed and optimized for this. And truth be told these are considered small to medium sized. If implemented correctly access is extremely fast.

I don’t look at the 20k limit as 140 days of listening. I look at it as being able to access my music and to listen to it what ever manner I would like. Whether by artist, genre, etc. I would like to have access to all files that were placed on the cards.

Just my $0.02

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #6,333 of 7,140

Below are a couple examples showing approximate limits if a user placed all flac or all lossy files on each card. I understand that most users are going to have a combination of all files types. I just want to illustrate that a 20k limit with the newer cards can limit the intended devices usability.

With 400GB cards there is approximately 366GB of usable storage and let’s say the average file size of a flac file is 30MB. This give you approximately 12,500 flac files per card. Since QP1R has 2 slots double this to approximately 25,000 flac files. If users put lossy files you are talking approximately 1/10 the file size so 125,000 lossy files per card or 250,000 total.

Now with 512GB cards soon to be released let’s say 460GB is usable space. With the same size files as above we are talking approximately 16,000 flac files or 160,000 lossy files per card. Again double if you have 2 card slots.

Personally I’d rather see the internal storage of the device be made to handle these size databases than left as space for users to place music on. Databases are designed and optimized for this. And truth be told these are considered small to medium sized. If implemented correctly access is extremely fast.

I don’t look at the 20k limit as 140 days of listening. I look at it as being able to access my music and to listen to it what ever manner I would like. Whether by artist, genre, etc. I would like to have access to all files that were placed on the cards.

Just my $0.02
I also don't worry about the library software having enough song room, as I use file browsing strictly. For me, the library limit is big enough that I can create an adaquit playolist if I ever want to. My only disappointment with the QP1R is that they didn't work out a file playthrough choice, so I could listen to sequential file folders without having to intervene. The old FiiO X5 can do it, and it's only a mid-fi unit, and out of date. Why can't Questyle pull this off, when the FW looks and at least, operates similarly? My 33 years in piano tuning have taught me that culturally, Chinese people hate blind guys. I've been refused entry into many homes over the years. Could this be reflected in Questyle's policies? I doubt it, but I felt I had to put it out there.

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #6,334 of 7,140
Folder playthrough would be nice and you're right, the FiiO X5 had it and that was introduced in 2014! I doubt Questyle have any plans to release further FW updates. Personally, I'd like to go back the 60 step volume, as it was louder than the 120 step at the same percentage.

If you miss having an X5, why not pick up this bargain? Only $1,496.98 including postage and import duties!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FiiO-X5-...968508?hash=item1a4c29f7bc:g:mf8AAOSwDfxa1uB9

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #6,335 of 7,140
Folder playthrough would be nice and you're right, the FiiO X5 had it and that was introduced in 2014! I doubt Questyle have any plans to release further FW updates. Personally, I'd like to go back the 60 step volume, as it was louder than the 120 step at the same percentage.

If you miss having an X5, why not pick up this bargain? Only $1,496.98 including postage and import duties!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FiiO-X5-...968508?hash=item1a4c29f7bc:g:mf8AAOSwDfxa1uB9
I wholeheartedly agree with you, here - it would be nice to go back to the 60-step volume (or at least have an option to choose!) I posted this a bit earlier in the thread - hopefully the option will be available in the near future.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #6,337 of 7,140
I was quoting the price AMP3 are asking, which is £1,080.50 (Ex VAT). If they were asking £999 (Ex VAT) like HiFiHeadphones.co.uk, it would be very tempting, considering AMP3's discount codes,

I'll remind them the RRP has gone down... :wink:

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #6,338 of 7,140
Ditto! Since I have this high-quality DAP, I put more hi-res content on it, needing less quantity.
And, in reference to your post about balanced/SE, what's the DAC chip in the QP2R?

Same as the 400i and 600i - AKM AK4490

Apr 25, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #6,339 of 7,140

Just my $0.02

I get your perspective but when you start talking about as much as 160,000 (320,000 doubled!!) files my mind boggles. :L3000: . We are probably heading off topic a little but I think the way we consumer music has changed sooo much with downloads. Here's another way to look at it. Assume the average CD album had/has 10 tracks, even taking your lowest Flac count per card of 12,500 that's 1250 CDs = a fair sized collection. Scale that up to you maximum lossy file count and we are talking about a collection of 16,000 CDs!! No one used to own that amount of music. Let's also assume we all pay for everything we own (lol). In the UK on itunes that's 69p per song = £11,000 for a 16,000 files (£110,000 for 160,000) but of course most flac/hi-res files are more. That would buy some very nice headfi indeed. :)

To me there is something a little wrong with these numbers but I do understand if you happen to have that much you'd want to able to access it in an easy way. Indeed, it would have to be easy to navigate it all!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #6,340 of 7,140
I wholeheartedly agree with you, here - it would be nice to go back to the 60-step volume (or at least have an option to choose!) I posted this a bit earlier in the thread - hopefully the option will be available in the near future.

I've got the latest version of the QP1R with the battery hardware modification, which works perfectly. Would rolling back to v1.0.8 mess up the battery indicator?

Trouble is, Questyle's site gives me a download speed of 0.4kb per second and then I get a network error.

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #6,343 of 7,140
I get your perspective but when you start talking about as much as 160,000 (320,000 doubled!!) files my mind boggles. :L3000: . We are probably heading off topic a little but I think the way we consumer music has changed sooo much with downloads. Here's another way to look at it. Assume the average CD album had/has 10 tracks, even taking your lowest Flac count per card of 12,500 that's 1250 CDs = a fair sized collection. Scale that up to you maximum lossy file count and we are talking about a collection of 16,000 CDs!! No one used to own that amount of music. Let's also assume we all pay for everything we own (lol). In the UK on itunes that's 69p per song = £11,000 for a 16,000 files (£110,000 for 160,000) but of course most flac/hi-res files are more. That would buy some very nice headfi indeed. :)

To me there is something a little wrong with these numbers but I do understand if you happen to have that much you'd want to able to access it in an easy way. Indeed, it would have to be easy to navigate it all!

I understand and agree just throwing out some numbers. It was some quick numbers and an initial guess for average flac file size. I believe for this level of this player most files are going to be flac and dsd with some lossy thrown in. Was just pointing out that the 20k limit could be easily exceeded if one chooses. I’m not saying increase the limit tp 320k but I could see increase to at least a 30k - 40k.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #6,344 of 7,140
I've got the latest version of the QP1R with the battery hardware modification, which works perfectly. Would rolling back to v1.0.8 mess up the battery indicator?

Trouble is, Questyle's site gives me a download speed of 0.4kb per second and then I get a network error.
Please try out v1.0.8 and let us know if the battery indicator has affected you (if you haven’t already).

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #6,345 of 7,140
I will do. The battery was very high when I rolled back, but I'll put some hours in tomorrow. I really can't get over the extra volume with 1.0.8 over 1.0.9. I hope if Questyle do release a new firmware, they put back the dB's that escaped last time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back