Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Feb 13, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #6,136 of 7,140
That's why I think we can't say, that only seven units in USA is affected. We may say that only seven people decide send it back to repair. I think there are people who just decide "live with" not working properly battery indicator.

As one of the Questyle QP1R '7'(?), has anyone heard back from Questyle (Bruce)? I for one, have not.

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #6,137 of 7,140
I'm also one of the Questyle US 7. No word from Bruce since that initial request for our info. I hope Bruce is ok?

I hate to be ungrateful. My QP1R does still work and it still sounds great, but it's been through some rough patches with its battery where I thought it was completely dead, and for a couple of days I couldn't get it to boot at all. In addition to the battery indicator problem (which I think improved a bit after the last software update), my USB socket doesn't seem to be connecting consistently.

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #6,138 of 7,140
So you have to pay (postage) for having something to listen to while your unit is having hardware modifications to work how it should have done from day one? Shouldn't Questyle be reimbursing their distributors?

It wouldn't cost Questyle that much, as according to Bruce, the USA distributor, he only knows seven units didn't respond to the 1.09 firmware from his territory.

Shipping w/insurance for full value was in the ballpark of $35 US.
That's why I think we can't say, that only seven units in USA is affected. We may say that only seven people decide send it back to repair. I think there are people who just decide "live with" not working properly battery indicator.

There is most likely another group of people that just don't use their player enough to know if there is a problem or not or even that a problem is known to exists. I dealt with Questyle and was taken care of. It did take a while and I experienced some frustration. They were good enough to send me a loaner because I was scheduled for revision hip replacement surgery, that I never ended up using. But everything worked out in the end and that's really all that mattered.

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #6,139 of 7,140
Then there's a third group. Although reading this thread convinces me they're a small group, indeed. Those who love the sound; who wouldn't let a ridiculous issue like an irrattic indicator of a small issue get in their way of enjoyment. They use the power of their minds to get a feel of how much stored power they've used, and charge it appropriately.

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #6,140 of 7,140
All right, I'm going to become unpopular here by asking a straight question rather than researching MORE. I've been toying with picking up a pair of full size HP that can be very adequately driven with the QP1R. The Focal Clear got my attention when I saw that I can get the uglier Clear Pro as a 3 year 0% interest buy. A friend has the Utopia that I left on my head for about 30 seconds before taking them off and damning him for ruining me. However, that was driven with a CMA600i, not the QP. I read what Moe wrote about the Elear and Utopia in the first page reviews. If I'm reading correctly, the Elears can be driven easily but the Utopia not so much. Has anybody tried the Clear's with the QP? I may be wrong but I'm thinking that the Clear may be closer to Utopia power requirements than the Elear. Thanks for any help and suggestions

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #6,141 of 7,140
All right, I'm going to become unpopular here by asking a straight question rather than researching MORE. I've been toying with picking up a pair of full size HP that can be very adequately driven with the QP1R. The Focal Clear got my attention when I saw that I can get the uglier Clear Pro as a 3 year 0% interest buy. A friend has the Utopia that I left on my head for about 30 seconds before taking them off and damning him for ruining me. However, that was driven with a CMA600i, not the QP. I read what Moe wrote about the Elear and Utopia in the first page reviews. If I'm reading correctly, the Elears can be driven easily but the Utopia not so much. Has anybody tried the Clear's with the QP? I may be wrong but I'm thinking that the Clear may be closer to Utopia power requirements than the Elear. Thanks for any help and suggestions
I have, at RMAF, right before I flew to Bulgaria. The Clear, paired with the QP1R, is my favorite sounding Focal headphone in the market out of the lineup I’ve listened to (I have not listened to the Elex yet). At 55 Ohms, the Clear is more efficient and easier to drive than the 80 Ohms Utopia, in my experience.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #6,142 of 7,140
I have, at RMAF, right before I flew to Bulgaria. The Clear, paired with the QP1R, is my favorite sounding Focal headphone in the market out of the lineup I’ve listened to (I have not listened to the Elex yet). At 55 Ohms, the Clear is more efficient and easier to drive than the 80 Ohms Utopia, in my experience.

I greatly appreciate and respect your input Maurice, and I'm looking at my options. The Clear Pro would make the financial burden easier to manage, and all specs are identical to the Clear. However, at the increased price for the Pro nobody has been able to identify any improved performance over the Clear. The only difference appears to be the ugly red pads and different badging.

Feb 14, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #6,143 of 7,140
I greatly appreciate and respect your input Maurice, and I'm looking at my options. The Clear Pro would make the financial burden easier to manage, and all specs are identical to the Clear. However, at the increased price for the Pro nobody has been able to identify any improved performance over the Clear. The only difference appears to be the ugly red pads and different badging.
My gut intuition would be to go for the Clear since it looks like the internal specifications are identical. Before purchasing and for piece-of-mind I would personally contact Focal themselves to become 100% certain there are no acoustic changes and/or differences from the Clear to the Clear Pro (other than the pads and badging).

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #6,146 of 7,140
No replies recently to calls/emails to Questyle US. Going to Questyle website, US contact information no longer shows. Did Questyle change their customer service protocol? Most would agree - no repair status updates are disconcerting. This is my second return for QP1R. Was told my QP1R may be returned to China for repairs and likely take awhile. My QP1R was as new. Wondering when I'll get it back and what I'll get back. To audio manufacturers - communication is important.

Actually, a bad neck injury from a car accident, but I am still here and answering every email and phone message.

I can be reached at 702-751-9978 or usa@questyleaudio.com any time.

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #6,147 of 7,140
Feb 15, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #6,148 of 7,140
Actually, a bad neck injury from a car accident, but I am still here and answering every email and phone message.

Pleased you're around, but sad to hear of your injury. Edited my post prior to sending. My unedited post said I hoped US agents back was ok, as having talked with him previously discovered we both have had our share of health issues. Will contact you later knowing you are maybe not feeling so good now.

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #6,149 of 7,140

Please have it monitored closely. A neck injury with me caused an arterial dissection, which caused a massive stroke. Now I'm missing about 38% of my cerebellum.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #6,150 of 7,140
As one of the Questyle QP1R '7'(?), has anyone heard back from Questyle (Bruce)? I for one, have not.
I have not seen anything since the Dec 8 email acknowledging submission of my personal information. I'm in the US, having purchased my unit from Acoustic Sounds. At this point, I'll be happy, but surprised if I ever have a reliable battery charge indicator. Kind of wish I had waited until the bugs were worked out, instead of buying an earlier unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back