Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Oct 29, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #3,436 of 7,140
Also with 16 you can eq...though I can hear the difference between 16 and 24 bit on Sony zx2. Also can hear 20k still according to some audio tests taken. Regardless. I will be getting the qp1r soon. Should come over the weekend. Excited to join you all

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #3,438 of 7,140
Also with 16 you can eq...though I can hear the difference between 16 and 24 bit on Sony zx2. Also can hear 20k still according to some audio tests taken. Regardless. I will be getting the qp1r soon. Should come over the weekend. Excited to join you all

Welcome aboard.  The more, the better.  I also believe I can hear a diference.  Could be a falic thing, I like big files and I cannot lie.

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #3,439 of 7,140

Quick question Dithy,

When you compared 16 and 24bit, was it from the same master? I was quite certain I could hear a difference but when it came to the crunch and I did some ABX testing, I just couldn't tell one from the other. I was actually quite pleased because it meant I could down sample most of my music collection and make some space
biggrin.gif

Your hearing is clearly better than mine though if you can still hear up to 20k. I max out at 13.5k, but that does seem fairly average for someone my age as I am now in my early forties.

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #3,440 of 7,140
  Thanks, but J from JRiver refuses to make the software blindguy-usable.
Anybody have other ideas?
Thanks anyway.

Hmm, that is quite annoying. I believe Foobar has a plugin, but it will probably be a bit more fiddly and I also don't know how well they cater for those with sight issues.

Welcome aboard.  The more, the better.  I also believe I can hear a diference.  Could be a falic thing, I like big files and I cannot lie.

​I like what you did there
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #3,441 of 7,140
Quick question Dithy,

When you compared 16 and 24bit, was it from the same master? I was quite certain I could hear a difference but when it came to the crunch and I did some ABX testing, I just couldn't tell one from the other. I was actually quite pleased because it meant I could down sample most of my music collection and make some space :D

Your hearing is clearly better than mine though if you can still hear up to 20k. I max out at 13.5k, but that does seem fairly average for someone my age as I am now in my early forties.
yes same tracks. Def also different from 16/44.1 and 24/192. One example track was everglow by Coldplay. It's mainly in space perception and decay of the piano notes for example. This inner nuance stuff. I mean am 28 and I play music 10 hrs a day. Also when I listen to stuff I listen on very low volume. Even with the gimped eu zx2 I listened maybe at 5-8% volume max. Definitely saves your hearing in the long run.

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #3,442 of 7,140
yes same tracks. Def also different from 16/44.1 and 24/192. One example track was everglow by Coldplay. It's mainly in space perception and decay of the piano notes for example. This inner nuance stuff. I mean am 28 and I play music 10 hrs a day. Also when I listen to stuff I listen on very low volume. Even with the gimped eu zx2 I listened maybe at 5-8% volume max. Definitely saves your hearing in the long run.

Just to make sure we're on the same page here, it was definitely the same master and not just the same track?

To conclusively test, I usually take a 24/96 or 192 file and then downsample it to 16/48

Apologies if that's what you're already doing. You may indeed have much sharper ears than I
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #3,443 of 7,140

You had enough of the ZX2 Dithyrambes? I am also thinking about QP1R, haha. Although I am glued to my iPhone and Mojo lately.

Oct 29, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #3,444 of 7,140

Thanks, but J from JRiver refuses to make the software blindguy-usable.
Anybody have other ideas?
Thanks anyway.

Hmm, that is quite annoying. I believe Foobar has a plugin, but it will probably be a bit more fiddly and I also don't know how well they cater for those with sight issues.

​I like what you did there
biggrin.gif

Actually, FB2K is much better for accessibility.  I'll look on the site for a plugin.  Tried it with DBPowerAmp, but 32-bitFP is outside their bailowik.  Thanks.

Oct 29, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #3,445 of 7,140

Quick question Dithy,

When you compared 16 and 24bit, was it from the same master? I was quite certain I could hear a difference but when it came to the crunch and I did some ABX testing, I just couldn't tell one from the other. I was actually quite pleased because it meant I could down sample most of my music collection and make some space
biggrin.gif

I noticed the same thing with Mark Knopfler's Tracker.  I bought the CD, but then bought the 24/192.  There was a diference in atmosphere, for lack of a better word.  Gave the CD to my son, Mark.  Still mad at me for naming him after the great one.

Oct 29, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #3,446 of 7,140
Maybe I'm a bit deaf, but I felt the difference between 16/44 and 24/192 with the same mastering only on my deeply modified Ibasso DX100. The only difference for me is the quality of treble. However, it was unsufficient. 
I mostly use Hifiman 801, so I'm not tormented by the problem of HiRes :)

Oct 29, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #3,447 of 7,140
Maybe I'm a bit deaf, but I felt the difference between 16/44 and 24/192 with the same mastering only on my deeply modified Ibasso DX100. The only difference for me is the quality of treble. However, it was unsufficient. 
I mostly use Hifiman 801, so I'm not tormented by the problem of HiRes :)

On the contrary, if you can hear the difference at all, then you have better hearing than most. It takes pretty exceptional hearing to differentiate between 16bit audio and above, with many who claim they can unable to do so in a test environment. :)

Oct 29, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #3,448 of 7,140
I haven't picked up any new Hi Rez for a few weeks now. After not being thrilled with the remastered Oasis, Be Here Now I stopped and realized that two of my test track albums are both 44/16 320bps (Incubus HQ Live and Tori Amos To Venus and Back Disc II). If the recording is poorly mastered (for my taste), it doesn't matter whether it's Hi Rez or not. I've been picking up mostly 80's/90's rock/alt rock lately that's not available higher than 44/16 and have been pretty much floored with the sound. I was listening to Pixies, Doolittle earlier and couldn't believe the detail (ripped from CD). But I guess that the gear I'm using has a little to do with that too, huh? 

wink.gif

Oct 29, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #3,449 of 7,140
On the contrary, if you can hear the difference at all, then you have better hearing than most. It takes pretty exceptional hearing to differentiate between 16bit audio and above, with many who claim they can unable to do so in a test environment.
smily_headphones1.gif

As I mentioned, this difference is unsufficient. I can hear it only on 2-5 tracks and only on my modified DX100 with ER-4S. In 24/192 cymbals sound a bit less harshy. That's it. Due to my music tastes (emoviolence, chaotic hardcore) this so rare benefit of 24/192 doesn't matter at all. I use only 16/44 :)

Oct 29, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #3,450 of 7,140
You had enough of the ZX2 Dithyrambes? I am also thinking about QP1R, haha. Although I am glued to my iPhone and Mojo lately.
Mr CraftyClown here has brought me to the darkside. I had the mojo first but I feel it's really midcentric with rolled off treble. Also bass at times feel thuddish. There is this weird digital treble grain with the mojo....like it tries to be so detailed yet smooth at the same time. Then I got a zx2 and listened single ended. Imaging was better but was not pleased. Then went balanced...then it was a total beast. Way better imaging. Great all around resolution and detail. Esp inner detail like when a singer sustains a note. You can hear all the fluctuations and the grain in the voice. You can also hear silence and lisps in some singers. Also I love the drums and cymbal hits...just love that shizzz zz of that cymbal. Just the deal breaker with the Sony was....I couldn't use my studio monitors with them because of weak output and I didn't want to go pita balanced cable. Also the lack of dac functionality. Yoy cant listen to the sony other than out of stock player so it makes tidal useless on it. I do miss it after listening to my brand new go v2+ infinity. Though it sounds good balanced and more detailed, I don't find it very emotional and inner nuances arent there either. The percussion is like tizz tizz and there is slight digital grain and less meat around all the notes vs zx2. Hence I decided to get a qp1r after hearing drummers say it sounds ok(now that had become a deal breaker). I don't need to stack and also have usb dac functionality and don't need a seperate amp. Also has line out for my studio monitors so all in all...prob best purchase in an all in one, but all depends on the sound when I hear it when it comes. Will let you know my thoughts. Just only thing that scares me is that wheel ><. Hope it isn't too smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back