Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Oct 17, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #3,286 of 7,140
Hello
I listen to trance music and bass is important for me. How do you compare them on their bass production? Thanks

Both have good tight, and to my ears 'correct' bass, not over emphasised thank goodness. Overall, sound from Mojo is a little more detailed, but laid back, less upfront. The QP1R is in your face, exciting.

I rate both units so highly, what sounds best I believe is dependent on the iem/headphone used. With good synergy, their is little between them in my enjoyment. Both let the music be the winner.

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #3,288 of 7,140
If you love bass and Trance try out some Fostex TH-X00 (Massdrop) sometime. IMHO nothing in price range beats it for bass that does not overwhelm the rest of the frequency range.

The QP1R and TH-X00 are indeed a fantastic pairing :D

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #3,290 of 7,140
I decided to break out the old X5/E12A stack to listen to while studying tonight. First I decided to drop the amp and listen to the X5 alone after I wasn't thrilled with the sound. Then I realized that the X5 sounder "warmer" than what I'm used to hearing from my QP1R. Then I decided that I was done studying (after only 2-3 songs) and that it was time to pack it in. I am still extremely pleased with using the FiiO as the transport for my home systems. Next time I want music to study with...I'm bring the right DAP outside with me to start with.
smile.gif

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #3,291 of 7,140
Did you mean the LC sounded better than the QP1R, or the UD-301 sounded better than the Yggy or the QP1R???
It getting the Yggy to make the Carbon sound better than the QP1R. The combo of the two that is.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #3,292 of 7,140

I'll give you my thoughts; I'm never gonna use them.
I have the Hugo and QP.  I also had a week to audition the Mojo.  I'd stack my QP1R up against the Hugo.  Both are clear and resolving, the Mojo is slightly muddy.  Mojo lags behind in timbral quality.  QP and my Hugo let you hear the frequency, but also the identifying overtones that distinguish one instrument from another.
I admit that I didn't find the time to directly compare QP with Mojo as I should've.  I have done that with Hugo and QP, finding their sound comparable.  I'd say that Mojo would figuratively coat the sound of a QP1 in a dulling, plastic film of resolution.
As I've said before at times, the Mojo is great for raising the quality of low-fi and mid-fi DAPs and smart phones, at a reasonable price.  But, I honestly believe that the Mojo is unnecessary for the QP.

Hello
I listen to trance music and bass is important for me. How do you compare them on their bass production? Thanks

I can give you more of an answer later in the week.  Medical stuff tomorrow.  But, reading on, I'd listen to @andrewh13.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #3,293 of 7,140
Oh, I see. So the Yggy + LC (in SE mode?) can make the pairing sound better than the QP1R alone. But am I correct in my assumption the QP1R alone may sound better than the LC with a medium spec DAC? Interesting because I'm an LC owner, and the idea of taking the QP1R (future purchase) on vacation to save a little room over my Mimby + LC sounds helpful, as long as they are comparable fidelity-wize...

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #3,294 of 7,140
Oh, I see. So the Yggy + LC (in SE mode?) can make the pairing sound better than the QP1R alone. But am I correct in my assumption the QP1R alone may sound better than the LC with a medium spec DAC? Interesting because I'm an LC owner, and the idea of taking the QP1R (future purchase) on vacation to save a little room over my Mimby + LC sounds helpful, as long as they are comparable fidelity-wize...
Haven't heard the Mimby with it but might in two weeks at the Nashville meet I think a mimby will be there so I might give it a go. Yes the QP1R blew the Carbon and UD-301 combo out of the water for sure save the space QP1R is all you'll need to be happy and can drive just about anything with ease.

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #3,295 of 7,140
Hello

If you're using the Andromeda's, output impedance is going to effect the overall sound (from what I'm told). My current combination of the QP1R, Norne Audio Silvergarde and Andromeda's will most likely be my end game rig. With that combination, the bass hit so hard that I really thought I was going to break something. The Silvergarde made up for any additional bass impact that someone may be looking for out of the Andromeda. Aaaaaaaaand...I still don't hear any hiss. 

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #3,296 of 7,140
I'm thinking about purchasing my most expensive headphones ... either the mrspeakers Ether C Flow or one of the new ZMF's Eikon or Atticus

I wish I had a place to try them out ... anyone in NYC with a set of Ether C Flows?

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #3,299 of 7,140
How do you guys find the UI for the QP1R? Anyone have any issues with the sorting / organisation of Your tracks?
Yes you got to think ahead. With my Fiio it put albums in the artist place QP1R doesn't you have to place them there. Firmware upgrade notice ! I have albums all over the place just too lazy to fix it right now.

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #3,300 of 7,140
How do you guys find the UI for the QP1R? Anyone have any issues with the sorting / organization of Your tracks?

I had been using a PAW Gold, which is only file browsing - it scrolls pretty fast, and since it does not read tags or maintain a database, it boots really fast. (Sounds really good too, and lots of driving power).

The QP1R boots quickly, although not as fast, but does read tags.  Problem is, for an album-oriented guy like me, I want every album by the same artist to play one at a time, in proper track sequence, rather than playing all of the track 1's, then the 2's, etc.

I used "Tag & Rename" to make sure that track number was added to the beginning of the file names-using 01 for 1, 02 for 2, etc.  This gets the folder view to play in correct sequence.  Scrolling thru  a full 200G card takes a bit of time, and I would recommend doing a hierarchical folder structure....

Maybe the upper level being A B C D, etc...   then go from there and drill down to specific artists, or just how I have my folders; which is Artist-Album Title...

It is a quick and easy interface, and with some planning for large amounts of music, it is quite do-able.  I would do it by using a USB 3.0 card reader and then re-installing the card(s).  You can then have it do a library re-scan (which does take some time for a huge library) during your non-listening time.

I am interested in this library management effort, since the QP1R sounds so f-ing amazing.  It has plenty of power, and is very natural sounding-detailed but not analytical, musical, but not syrupy.  

Hope that helps, and would love to hear how others are doing this.....

Big shout out to Bruce Ball for his great support of the product and to fellow Head-Fi-er Axelcloris for loaning me his overnight at RMAF, so I could give it a real listen in the quiet and calm of my hotel room.  Bought it the next day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back