Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Oct 18, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #3,301 of 7,140

How do you guys find the UI for the QP1R? Anyone have any issues with the sorting / organization of Your tracks?

I had been using a PAW Gold, which is only file browsing - it scrolls pretty fast, and since it does not read tags or maintain a database, it boots really fast. (Sounds really good too, and lots of driving power).

The QP1R boots quickly, although not as fast, but does read tags.  Problem is, for an album-oriented guy like me, I want every album by the same artist to play one at a time, in proper track sequence, rather than playing all of the track 1's, then the 2's, etc.

I used "Tag & Rename" to make sure that track number was added to the beginning of the file names-using 01 for 1, 02 for 2, etc.  This gets the folder view to play in correct sequence.  Scrolling thru  a full 200G card takes a bit of time, and I would recommend doing a hierarchical folder structure....

Maybe the upper level being A B C D, etc...   then go from there and drill down to specific artists, or just how I have my folders; which is Artist-Album Title...

It is a quick and easy interface, and with some planning for large amounts of music, it is quite do-able.  I would do it by using a USB 3.0 card reader and then re-installing the card(s).  You can then have it do a library re-scan (which does take some time for a huge library) during your non-listening time.

I am interested in this library management effort, since the QP1R sounds so f-ing amazing.  It has plenty of power, and is very natural sounding-detailed but not analytical, musical, but not syrupy.  

Hope that helps, and would love to hear how others are doing this.....

Big shout out to Bruce Ball for his great support of the product and to fellow Head-Fi-er Axelcloris for loaning me his overnight at RMAF, so I could give it a real listen in the quiet and calm of my hotel room.  Bought it the next day.

Letter>Artist>album>songs.  File browsing.  Don't care about catagories.  Don't even allow the library to fill itself up with  unnecessary memory clutter, if that means anything to the QP.

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #3,302 of 7,140
Hi guys, I am experiencing a strange issue with my QP1R. It was working fine connected as a DAC with my PC last night and after disconnecting it the unit now won't play any of my tracks. The playing screen comes up but the progress bar doesn't move when I hit play. Consequently there is no sound output as well. I have tried reinstalling the firmware, performing a factory reset, turning OFF and ON the unit but nothing has worked. 

When I tried reconnecting it as a USB DAC, my PC detected the unit correctly but there was no sound output. 

Anyone here ever faced anything similar? Also what is the procedure to perform a hard reset when the unit is fully charged?

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #3,303 of 7,140
I had been using a PAW Gold, which is only file browsing - it scrolls pretty fast, and since it does not read tags or maintain a database, it boots really fast. (Sounds really good too, and lots of driving power).

The QP1R boots quickly, although not as fast, but does read tags.  Problem is, for an album-oriented guy like me, I want every album by the same artist to play one at a time, in proper track sequence, rather than playing all of the track 1's, then the 2's, etc.

I used "Tag & Rename" to make sure that track number was added to the beginning of the file names-using 01 for 1, 02 for 2, etc.  This gets the folder view to play in correct sequence.  Scrolling thru  a full 200G card takes a bit of time, and I would recommend doing a hierarchical folder structure....

Maybe the upper level being A B C D, etc...   then go from there and drill down to specific artists, or just how I have my folders; which is Artist-Album Title...

It is a quick and easy interface, and with some planning for large amounts of music, it is quite do-able.  I would do it by using a USB 3.0 card reader and then re-installing the card(s).  You can then have it do a library re-scan (which does take some time for a huge library) during your non-listening time.

I am interested in this library management effort, since the QP1R sounds so f-ing amazing.  It has plenty of power, and is very natural sounding-detailed but not analytical, musical, but not syrupy.  

Hope that helps, and would love to hear how others are doing this.....

Big shout out to Bruce Ball for his great support of the product and to fellow Head-Fi-er Axelcloris for loaning me his overnight at RMAF, so I could give it a real listen in the quiet and calm of my hotel room.  Bought it the next day.
Yes the SQ is seriously awesome. But the menu structure does drive me a bit nuts. Like you say, choose an artist and it dumps all the songs in one place with no consideration for albums.

I know you can browse by file structure, but it doesn't help with searching by genres (I listen to so many genres that a useful way to search by genre then artist and album is really sorely missed).

Questyle: new firmware to improve browsing?? Example, by artist (artist>album>track) or by genre (genre>artist>album>track).

Oct 19, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #3,305 of 7,140
Questyle: new firmware to improve browsing?? Example, by artist (artist>album>track) or by genre (genre>artist>album>track).[/quote]
+1
That would be an improvement for sure.
Although: for me it would be very important still being able to choose random playback on folder levels like genre, or artist, say for example: random to all jazz funk, or to all Kanye West, and so on. As of now this is possible.
When they just change the organization to genre>artist>album>track, then this will no longer be possible, because you always end up in one particular album (or single track).

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #3,307 of 7,140
  Did Questyle ever make a revision to the scroll wheel? I was on their Facebook page and there was a picture of the QP1R and it stated there had been?

I believe they did Darren,

I purchased mine a few weeks ago and when Phil from Audio Sanctuary took a look at it at the Indulgence show, he confirmed it was a new revision

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #3,309 of 7,140
  Thanks for the answer. Does that mean the scroll wheel actually turns properly now, as when I had one, my finger just slipped across it.

​Mine does, although I did also apply the wheel grip

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #3,310 of 7,140
I got my replacement unit some weeks ago. I think the wheel, as the volume knob too, are better than the first unit. Can't say if it's just luck, or something being revised. Visually there isn't any difference

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #3,311 of 7,140
Ok so here's a question for the knowledgeable among you;

Is it better to use a lower gain and higher volume, or a higher gain and lower volume?

I hear much talk about some headphones not sounding their best, even at high volumes unless they are sufficiently powered, however coming from a video background I am acutely aware that adding electronic gain to boost a signal raises the noise floor.

What is everyone here doing when it comes to gain?

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #3,313 of 7,140
  Regarding the scroll wheel, can somebody compare it to the Fiio X5ii. which one is better?

The two are completely different. The term "better" would also need to take into account the device they are attached to. 

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #3,314 of 7,140
  Ok so here's a question for the knowledgeable among you;

Is it better to use a lower gain and higher volume, or a higher gain and lower volume?

I hear much talk about some headphones not sounding their best, even at high volumes unless they are sufficiently powered, however coming from a video background I am acutely aware that adding electronic gain to boost a signal raises the noise floor.

What is everyone here doing when it comes to gain?

I was just thinking about this with my EE Zeus and ALO CDM. I personally prefer high gain/low volume even with sensitive IEM's. 'Something' seems to be lost in low gain/high volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back