013.jpg

007.jpg

Here is a link to the company website:

Purity Audio

For another review done by Skylab with internal pictures::

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ne-amp-329643/

CALIENTE CAPSULE REVIEW

Treble
Smooth and detailed without the etched sound of many solid state amps.

Midrange
Richly defined and warm, No solid state coldness here

Bass
A strength of this design. Full bass with nice texture. Good attack and decay without being lean.

Imaging
Soundstage is wide but do not expect the 3D holographic sound of a tube amp. Depth is not a strength.

Dynamics
Good dynamics even with inefficient headphones such as the AKG 701. Big improvement over opamp powered unbuffered amps.

Capsule conclusion
A breakthrough solid state amp that offers:

a)clean discrete output
b)filtered power supply
c)warm sound for tube lovers or those with bright or bass light headphones
d)$399 price

BACKGROUND
I have been looking for a warm solid state alternative to the Gilmore GS-1 for quite some time. My preference is for tube sound particularly in the midrange where most of the music happens. However, the amp at the top of my comparison test of 23 home amps (see link below under COMPARISONS) is the Bada PH-12 which is a hybrid that has tubes on the front end.

My goal is to find a headphone amp without tubes, but not at the expense of sound quality. The GS-1 sounds too sterile with the AKG 701 and the bass is fuller and better suited with the Corda Opera on those headphones. The GS-1 sounded a bit cold with my modified Denon D5000, but did a good job leaning out the high impact bass of the Denon's. I found the bass had too much impact with the Corda Opera and the Denon D5000's.

One of the salient features that makes the Headamp GS-1 highly respected is its discrete output. With the Caliente we have a modern design with discrete output for $399. There are two versions of this amp:

1-The Keep It Clean And Simple (K.I.C.A.S)

2-The Caliente is a class A design but is a “..tube like” version of the K.I.C.A.S.

For reference I directly compared the Caliente to several amps through my simple homemade A/B switchbox that used the same interconnects and source. I compared the Bada PH-12, Dodge 6210 and Presonus Central Station among others. One reference I used for as a solid state amp was a fully loaded PPA with glassman discrete buffers, 627/637 opamps to warm things up a bit, and STEPS power supply. This is a nice amp with the Denon D5000. It also has a bass boost option so I can add a bit of needed bass warmth up the AKG 701's. I also used the Travagans Red, which is similar to the Travagans White that Skylab referred to in his review for another solid state comparison.

TECHNICAL INFO
The amp is a class A design. It uses transistors, diodes and film caps to condition the signal. The Caliente also uses high quality electrolytics for power filtration and power reserve. It is the power reserve that interests me the most on this amp. I find that a key distinguishing characteristic that separates the top level amps and the middle contenders is that the top level amps sound better during complex musical passages. The top level amps usually have deeper bass with more impact. Both sound characteristics seem to be a goal of this design and I will be listening for them carefully.

There is a current feedback loop employed for high current output. Other audiophile type features include things such as metal film resistors.

The amp is designed to work as close as possible to the saturation range of the transistors operating specs. This provides adequate current to feed inefficient headphones such as the AKG 701's., but still cannot match the voltage output of many tube amps.

BUILD QUALITY
Swithcraft RCA's, Elna Silmic II, Panasonic pot, Panasonic F type power capacitors , Vishay resistors and Nuetrik headphone jack.

The Caliente uses a fairly comprehensive on board noise filtration system compared to other amps powered by an external power supply that depend more on the quality of the linear PSU.

From Purity Audio:
Our design has built in power supply ripple suppression and we have deliberately upped the PSU specs to make sure that the PSU is not the weak link. The PSU's Voltage and Current has been specified and tested to supply the amplifier with saturated power under all load conditions.

SOUND
I have not been happy with the sound of most solid state amps and have a bias for tube sound. Opamp based headphones amps have improved in two major areas since the CMOY and Pimeta days.

1-The amp designs have gotten better with buffers, multiple channels and improved power supplies.
2-The opamps themselves sound better and less clinical.

However, many headphone audiophiles still prefer discrete headphone amps over omamp based units. For my speaker amplification, I prefer discrete solid state amplification with a tube preamp. Discrete amplifiers gives me clean dynamic range, detail, treble extension, fast attack with deep, powerful bass. A tube preamp fleshes out the midrange texture, warms things up and helps with soundstage.

I wish I could rid myself of the hassle of tubes and find an all solid state solution for my speaker amplification. The Caliente provides both the advantages of discrete output with musical warmth.

This amp is smooth but not at the expense of detail which is a problem of some tube amps. The midrange is presented with musical warmth without the leanness of many opamp designs. Bass is quick and powerful. The bass on the Corda Opera was among the most solid I have heard from a solid state amp, but the Caliente has better definition and goes a bit deeper with better linearity.

A key test of high end amplifiers for me is how they sound during complex music passages. Many tend to slur notes together and do not delineate notes clearly. One measure for this is the slewing ability of an amplifier that is a technical specification commonly published for high end speaker amps. The faster the slew rate, the quicker the amp responds to the input. This quickness is a strength of discrete amps compared to their tube counterparts.

The Caliente sounds clean during complex music passages. Many refer to Pace Rhythm and Tempo (PRAT) describing when amps fall behind the pace of complex music (particularly in the bass) and sound congested. This is a strength of the Caliente.

HEADPHONE SYNERGY

AKG 701
The Caliente seems like it was voiced with this headphone, the synergy is near perfect. For me, it is not about what is the best amp or the best headphone, but rather the best amp/headphone combination. I found the synergy between the ASL MG Head MKIII and Sennheiser HD600 almost magical, although the amp with other headphones did not produce that same spark.

The AKG 701 presents a problem for many headphone amps because it is among the most inefficient to drive. I have found it can be bright bordering on thin sounding with reduced mid bass resulting in a sound that can make some disbelieve it is a high end headphone with the wrong amplification. Many tube amps, with sound characteristic that may help offset it's deficiencies, do not have adequate drive for the AKG 701.

The Caliente provides texture and warmth to the treble. It gave me fullness for the mid bass and let the deep bass that the AKG701 is capable of, flow through. I think a possible reason for the problem reported that the AKG 701 has weak bass is due to many of the amps utilized not having the ability to deliver the deepest bass that these headphones can deliver. The mid and deep bass with the Caliente was superb through the AKG 701. Those who thought the bass was missing in action would be surprised hearing this combination.

Sennheiser 650
Brings out the detail with these headphones. This amp allows the Senns to show what they do well: soundstage width and depth.

Denon D5000
I find these headphones can be a bit bright and can sound harsh but work well with tubes. The Caliente smoothed out the brightness but still allowed the detail that the D5000 is capable of. Bass may be too much for some.

COMPARISONS
I will leave that test for inclusion in my comparison review linked here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ns-red-266118/

CUSTOMER SERVICE
I spoke with Oriel Mendelovitz, one of the engineers from Purity Audio. He was very helpful and patient. He also seemed happy to answer all the pesky audiophile questions to my satisfaction.

OTHER HEADFI COMMENTS
I am mostly in agreement with Skylab's comprehensive review linked above. Rather than reiterate his findings I have tried to add to it by providing additional technical info and comments about the dynamic capabilities.

CONCLUSION
The Caliente amp addresses many of my reservations about solid state units by using discrete output. It has a warm sound quality for tube lovers who have found solid state is too sterile for their preferred headphones.

My notes keep repeating the word “emotion”. The midrange has a palpable sound that is a trait of the top amps. This amp gets the breathy voice of female vocalists right (such as Tori Amos) and brings you closer to the music. If you are tired of clinical sounding amps, you need to hear this one.

The Caliente is in a league with other high end amps that are more expensive. I remember when we did not have many quality headphone amp choices too long ago. It was either $1095 Melos SHA-1 or DIY CMOY/Pimetas with not much in between Now, we even have choices for discrete headphone amps.

REALITY CHECK
After I listen to any new audio product I like to take some time to moderate any over enthusiastic findings. One true test is the test of time. Will the listener have the same enthusiasm after a while, or will flaws become more apparent? I have found that products such as the Technics SP10 turntable and SME arm, Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers, Ampzilla amplifier still sound good even though they are 30 years old. I think the Caliente will still sound this good as newer products come and go.

MANUFACTURER'S COMMENTS
Before we Caliented the KICAS, we only had it as our prototype and received many comments about how it sounded too dry, similar to your experience with GS-1, I assume. It was from that Toronto (7.7.07) meet that we ended up adding the Caliente to our lineup. Also, Peter is a tube fan, so he wanted something 'warmer' sounding. Anyway, the KICAS is designed for those listeners who want neutrality (of which I am one) and/or people with bass heavy phones such as D5000, GS1000, DT990 and 770, JVC DX1000, etc. Our official opinion is that these types of headphones will sound neutral, crisp and natural with the KICAS, and will retain high levels of detail, imaging and soundstage. The Caliente offers more tonal 'bloom'/'warmth', which many people look for in their headphones - this does however, come at a cost due to the physics of sound. Increasing bass amplitude at lower frequencies can constrain soundstage and mask detail; That said, the KICAS may sound dry on bass light and dry 'phones like the AKG K701 (actually, AKG in general) and Sennheiser HD600. To sum up, Caliente's sound stage/field may sound narrower on fuller sounding headpones and overly bassy at worst where the KICAS may suffer from a dry/clinical sound on bass-light cans. I always suggest that any potential customers check with me if they are unsure about their choice in amp. I'm glad to help them customize a solution based on their gear and listening styles.

Jun 22, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 51
Many people have asked me to try different PSU's with this amp to see if there are any audible differences. I am in the process of trying this. DIYers should be very careful about doing this right and not exceeding the 12V 800 ma input.

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 51
Terrific review tbonner! I see once again we are pretty much in agreement.

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 51
Great job on the review!

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 51
did anybody review the red one (Caliente) compared to the (K.I.C.A.S) ?

Jun 27, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by j24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did anybody review the red one (Caliente) compared to the (K.I.C.A.S) ?

This is the Caliente, it comes in Red, Black, and Silver. AFAIK the regular KICAS comes only in black.

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 51
In addition to my headphone addiction, I also collect and modify vintage FM tuners. After many modifications I have learned to appreciate the improved sound quality with a properly designed and filtered power supply.

I have begun to listen to other power supplies with the Caliente in an attempt to improve the sound. I tried a regulated Radio Shack power supply listed here:

RadioShack.com - Power & Batteries: Home & office power: AC (Home) adapters: 3-12V Regulated 1000mA AC Adapter

This was a lightweight PSU in terms of construction compared to the unit supplied with Purity Audio amp. When I plugged the Radio Shack unit in (I used the “L” adaptaplug male power adapter to plug into the amp) the sound was also a bit lightweight compared to the stock unit. Bass lost some of it's impact during deep passages of Tori Amos' song “Big Wheel” from her superb American Doll Posse album. The difference was subtle but still palpable. It was not as dramatic as the differences I experienced when going from a wall wart PSU on a PPA to a STEPS power supply on the PPA. The STEPS seemed to control the bass better during complex music passages.

I also tried a 9 pound MASTECH HY1803 which is a test bench power supply with variable voltage, variable current and very low ripple. This is an industrial strength unit probably not suitable for most home audio applications as it is too big and heavy. However, I was surprised to find very little sound difference between this beast and the stock Purity Audio unit.

I looked at more traditional units from ELPAC, that offers both medical and commercial spec PSUs. I have tried ELPAC's before with my M3 and they sounded quite good with a low noise floor.

This medical spec switcher fit the required voltage and current:
ELPAC POWER SYSTEMS | WM1012-760 | Power Supplies | Power Products | Newark.com

This commercial unit seemed better as it was regulated:
http://www.elpac.com/products/commer...cuments/wm.pdf

so I will try this one next. However, judging from the lack of sound improvement going to the bulky MASTECH I am not expecting much of a change over the stock Purity Audio PSU which seems up to the task of providing nice bass my AKG 701's. I continue to enjoy the Caliente which seems as though it were voiced to work with the 701's which can sound bass-lite on many other highly respected amps. For those who believe the key to headphone heaven is a properly mated system or have had problems getting adequate bass from the AKG 701's, this is a truely great synergistic combination.

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 51
Interesting finding, and nice to know.

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I continue to enjoy the Caliente which seems as though it were voiced to work with the 701's which can sound bass-lite on many other highly respected amps. For those who believe the key to headphone heaven is a properly mated system or have had problems getting adequate bass from the AKG 701's, this is a truely great synergistic combination.

Interestingly enough, the Caliente also LOVES the HD650's. Because of the transparency and control of the bass delivered by the Caliente, it is NOT too dark or too much bass with the HD650's. And the Caliente is well-suited to provide the level of detail across the acoustic spectrum that the HD650's can present gorgeously. This amp also works really well with Grados, and even the VERY sensitive Shure SE530's. Given the range of headphones that the Caliente works so well with, the Caliente is one heck of a versatile solution for modern headphone listening.

Aug 27, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #14 of 51
All I have seen are impressions of Caliente. But I gotta ask, what about K.I.C.A.S, its supposedly uncolored version? Im surprised it hasnt got any attention. Clean and simple signal, not EQed and colored.

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #15 of 51
My new Caliente is currently burning-in running a pair of AKG K701s, with Sennheiser HD 650s soon to arrive (tomorrow). Thus far, it is much smoother sounding than my LD Mk II with stock tubes, yet very detailed. Mid bass is THERE, hallelujah!!!!!! Will update after 100 hours, and with the HD 650s later on.

Cheers,

Rory

Users who are viewing this thread

Back