Review: PS Audio Power Plant Premier Power Regenerator
Aug 22, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #31 of 87
I own two Premiers, one of which unfortunately just went on the blink after a few months of operation. It is at PS Audio being repaired -- I will be interested to see what they say origin of the problem was. It started putting out 90 volts instead of 120 at over 12% distortion (by its own meter, which I checked with my own multimeter). My other Premier is a year old with no problems.

Generally, I agree with Markl's comments. The Premier lowers the amount of noise in the music you hear (and video you watch) by giving your equipment better quality electricity to work with. Lowering the "noise floor" in your music is extremely important as it allows you to hear more of what is on the recording. It will make a difference in every single piece of music you listen to, with better results, of course, on better recordings (because there is more detail -- such as hall ambience -- to begin with). Unfortunately, lowering the noise floor in a system is almost always expensive (the other component I have purchased recently that significantly lowers the noise floor is a preamp by Audio Research). Dedicated electrical supply circuits can (but don't always) help here as well.

All other things being equal, one reason audio equipment usually sounds better at night is that there are fewer sources of RFI and EMI using the power lines as transmission antennae.

I also own an Equi=Tech Q isolation transformer which is about the same price as the Premier and has far fewer electronic parts to go bad (the Premier is comparable to a transistor based power amp in complexity and failure modes). I am not sure that the Q is 100% as good in lowering the noise floor as the Premier is at its best (the Q won't reduce harmonic distortion in the power it outputs, so maybe the Q is only 90% as good) but in my experience the Equi=Tech products are far more reliable and more foolproof than the PS Audio products. At the margin, for me, it is a toss up between slightly better peformance for the Premier but way better reliability for the Q. PS Audio won the last round, so I have two Premiers, but after the problem I just experienced with my second Premier, my next high end power unit will probably be an Equi-Tech again.

For anyone who doubts that these things work there is an easy test: compare the picture on a TV plugged into a wall to the picture on the same TV plugged into a Premier or Equi-Tech Q. It is usually easy for even non-hobbyists to see the difference because most people are far more sensitive to visual changes than audio changes.

Whether the degree of improvement is worth it is up to you, of course. Like most people here I am a hobbyist and have trained ears, so it is worth it to me. On the other hand, though I can tell the difference between a $50 wine and a $15 wine -- the $50 wine really is better -- I personally buy the $15 (or preferably $10-12) wine, so "better" in this case is not "worth it."

One alternative worthy of investigating for those who don't want to (or can't) put a lot of money into a power conditioner is the APC H15 power conditioner. APC is a expert in power conditioning and supplies products, e.g., for data centers, to large, demanding customers such as IBM.

I bought an APC H15 for a small home theater I am putting together for my daughter and she was so pleased with the results I bought another one for use with some of my own video components. You can get the H15 for $400-450 from several very reliable Internet electronics houses (B&H, Vanns) and in addition to EMI and RFI filtering it does under-voltage and over-voltage correction, which is nice to have. Plus it is very cool looking. My 25 year old daughter was quite pleased with its appearance in her equipment stack! And it helped her 52" Samsung 650 perform very well in a high rise apartment in an urban environment (where you would expect to have lots of noise on the power line).

Regards, James

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #32 of 87
I have a P600 which has been running alomost continously for 5yrs with no problems

Aug 22, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #33 of 87
Concerning running this in a headphone rig (see sig. below).

Does the Power Premiers run hot? If so, like tube hot? I think I read they have a fan so does this mean they need space to "breath." I am trying to determine if I have enough space in my present system for this unit. Presently I have around a half inch of space on top and bottom on my current power conditioner. Would this be enough room for this unit. Thanks in advance for any help.

Aug 22, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #34 of 87
For me the p500 was,and is, is a no brainer.

Its that good. One of these years I'm going to upgrade to the premier. Only thing not using regenerated AC is my Bryston 4bsst. The premier should be able to deliver ample electricity.

Two weeks ago, Music Direct had a demo unit on sale for 1500. Just saying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Millheim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does the Power Premiers run hot? If so, like tube hot? I think I read they have a fan so does this mean they need space to "breath." I am trying to determine if I have enough space in my present system for this unit. Presently I have around a half inch of space on top and bottom on my current power conditioner. Would this be enough room for this unit. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dan, my understanding is the premier runs much cooler than previous models. However, I highly recommend you ask your question on the audio asylum pspower forum. You should get the straight dope.

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/tv.mpl?forum=psaudio

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #35 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Millheim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Driving a headphone system PPP becomes only luke-warm on the hottest spot. The fan has never started when I used it. However, there are ventilation holes on the top and only half an inch free above it seems too little for me. It might work, probably does, with this limited load but not when driving it hard (max output is 1500 W).

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #36 of 87
I bought 2 b stocks directly from PS Audio for $1,537 each. They also gave me the 30 day return, which I was told is not normal on b stock items.

I love mine. The power is my apartment is terrible. I use one for my big amp and the second one powers source components, preamp (RSA B52) and video.

Aug 26, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #37 of 87
I've got a B stock coming from Music Direct. They told me that the 30 day does apply with them.

When auditioning the Purepower APS i realized how much the Isoclean stuff was not helping the dynamics in my system. Plus it costs a lot more than the Purepower or PPP.

I did not go with the Purepower because it's fan is on all the time.

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #38 of 87
I just got one from audiogon for 1000. So far it's helped with the static that generates when my computer does something and it was a great price
tongue.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #39 of 87
I am toying with idea of trying a PS Audio Premier Power Plant. I was a little disappointed to learn that it doesn't provide Balanced Power as the original had.The original was basically a class AB Balanced amplifier. It output a Balanced (+60, -60, Ground ref) signal. The current model however is not balanced, it outputs 120 volts, Neutral, Ground, and is a Class D amp.

That being said I believe that the PS Audio Premier Power Plant is an outstanding value. My only hesitation is my system is too large for a single Powerplant. In reality I'd need at least two or even better three units to cover my system. At some point I do plan on trying one on my front end.

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #40 of 87
I have a achance to buy a new PPP with warranty for 40% off list price,should i go for it?

I already have a P600

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #41 of 87
I've got a Black P3 running in for a week now. In a headphone rig it runs cool with no fan. I agree totally with Markl's review. Unlike other power conditioners I have used, this unit takes nothing away from detail and dynamics while dropping the noise floor appreciably... 24/7! I have not noticed any affects of "burn in" like other gear. It sounded great from day one. Power cord upgrades do impact the sound regardless of the cleaner power. Anyone using stock should seriously consider some third party offerings as it offers considerable improvement. I'm using Locus Design- Nucleus PC's with 079 Oyadie and VD PC's through out. Connecting a Quantum Symphony Pro. to the P3 took the sound to a whole new level. Critics will bash the Symphony Pro but it provides a vividness and sparkly to the leading edge of sound and atmosphere (air) that is palpabale...my favorite power tweak and I've tried a bunch. The new Quantum QX 2/4 makes me drool but I digress,ha.

Bottom Line: The P3 is a real "keeper" and the build quality is remarkable. For anyone who stays up till the wee hours of the morning for those magical listening sessions, imagine having that experience any time of the dayor night? That's what the P3 gives you!

Would any owners care to comment on your experience with the Clean Wave function? I would like to compare your impressions with what I am finding? Thanks.

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #43 of 87
Got the ex-demo unit yesterday.Will wait to see if it's better than the old P600

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #44 of 87
I also use sine wave but I think the Clean Wave sometimes can give a slight improvement of sound quality: more pure tone, more fluid and more dimensional (air, soundstage). Or maybe, it cleans the brain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back