Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Feb 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #3,211 of 3,234

Sky, you are worry about a $300.00 difference between the two devices, when you would spent an extra $600.00 on the ED8 Le for a little piece of wood decal.  Hehehe, coming from you it's very funny to me .
rolleyes.gif

LOL! Yeah, not so much an issue for me, but for many people I expect that it would be.

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #3,212 of 3,234
Mr. Shoewax, you are not way off base at all.  I totally agree with your sentiment.  

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #3,214 of 3,234
Sky, by the time you take into account the "supposed to be" Reference level Wolfson Dac, the excellent master clock for jitter free reclocking, the most compact device of the group, the battery implementation, the flexibility of the coax and line out, the fact that it is stackable with other portable amps, the ability to watch movie/video on an airplane in full theater/concert level enjoyment, and the potential limited market size, the price level seems about right for me.  

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #3,216 of 3,234

Quote:
it's hard to tell from the pic on their site, about how big is the solo compared to, say, an ipod classic?

Just go to the 6Moons site and find the review they did on the Solo 'stack'. IMO, the Solo/Rx/Classic look like they were made for one another. Just be aware that the Rx didnt quite live up to some of the insane hype that preceeded its release (insane as in 'generated by HF'). No, I havent heard it, but there are plenty of posts here - in any case, you arent limited to an ALO amp : I only mention it because the stack does look very good ergonomically.

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #3,218 of 3,234
ALO Solo 'Stack'

Teaser 1:

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/dipod/1.html

Teaser 2:

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/canjam2010/1.html

Shazam:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/aloaudio2/1.html

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #3,219 of 3,234
Feb 8, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #3,220 of 3,234
Yep, the Solo and accompanying amp are a good match for the iPhone/iTouch form factor - probably slightly less so for the Classic, but for those of us with the 6G Nano, any of the above look like a great fit. I love the DAP, loathe the form factor/touch screen.

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #3,221 of 3,234
Yep, Nano 6g, that I also have and if you bundle the 6g on the of the solo and amp, it will perform a disappearing act on you and viola, only the Solo and the beautiful music is left.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #3,222 of 3,234

Quote:
Yep, Nano 6g, that I also have and if you bundle the 6g on the of the solo and amp, it will perform a disappearing act on you and viola, only the Solo and the beautiful music is left.

My Shuffle has indeed disappeared, as in I have no idea where the hell it is. Another strike against the trend to tinier and tinier DAPs, IMO.

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #3,223 of 3,234

Quote:
Quote:

My Shuffle has indeed disappeared, as in I have no idea where the hell it is. Another strike against the trend to tinier and tinier DAPs, IMO.

My friend, I am afraid it is not the tininess of the DAP but one's prefrontal cortex that is doing the disappearing act.....just kidding.
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #3,224 of 3,234

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My friend, I am afraid it is not the tininess of the DAP but one's prefrontal cortex that is doing the disappearing act.....just kidding.
biggrin.gif

haha! I want to use that phrase in everyday conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back