Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Jan 31, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #3,181 of 3,234
well, im shocked at the this:

Quote: from HERE
11. Mini3 (Price depends on build) built @ $125.00
12. Leckerton Audio UHA-3 @ $189.00
12. iBasso T3 @ $119.00

Mini3> iBasso T3 (by a small margin)

i have a mini3, and was thinking abotu getting an ibasso t3 or p4, but now idk, unless P4 is really a step up

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #3,182 of 3,234

Quote:
Would anyone care to comment on SR-71a vs. P-51?

I have both SR71a and P-51 since both came out and had kept both until last December when I sold my SR71a.  I like the P-51 sound more than the SR71a.  It is more musical to me.  The SR71a is definitely more powerful than the P-51 but I have the Protector and the SR71B so I didn't need the power of the SR71a.  The P-51 is very small and a perfect amp for all iems but it doesn't drive demanding cans very well.  The 71a is very neutral but too flat for me.  The pros for the 71a is that it uses standard battery so you never have to worry about not able to use the amp because you can't find replacement battery.  It is powerful and can drive demanding amps.  It is well build.  However, since I change to Protector and SR71b, I really like the balance sound character more.  It's more dynamic, open, and involving.  

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #3,183 of 3,234
Thanks for the input.

Well, right now, the most potent can I'm interested in powering would be the D5000, but perhaps a set of Beyerdynamics might be in my future. Does anyone else feel that the P-51 is underwhelming when it comes cans? I'm somewhat surprised to hear that... (Even after all my reading I feel like a noob to all of this.) 
confused.gif

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #3,184 of 3,234
I wouldn't do that if I were you.

Feb 1, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #3,185 of 3,234
Okay, to be honest the D5000 won't even be leaving the house. It's just the most power hungry headphone I've got at the moment, so I wanted to know what's what. I might be interested in picking up a new pair of cans for work, and this amp would do double duty with my ER-4Ps. Perhaps I need to reassess that line of thinking. 

I guess it's back to the search tool, thanks for opening my eyes. (Although had I done even a basic search of this sub-forum I would have seen that.) 

Feb 2, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #3,186 of 3,234
Skylab,
  Thank you, thank you!  I keep coming back to your thread over and over! 

I have taken the plunge and ordered a pair of Sennhesier HD650.  I know they are better with a home amp, but since I travel, I would like to also have a small inexpensive amp (less than $200).  It seems that people like the Hornet paired with the HD650 but that is out of my price range.  What are your suggestions?

Thanks!

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #3,187 of 3,234
Skylab does not use HD650 and I never seen his advices on amps for them. For $200, most recommended is Meier Headsix. I never heard it, but it is built and sounds similar to Meier Move. I know Move well and may highly recommend it for HD650.

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #3,188 of 3,234
Quote:
Skylab does not use HD650 and I never seen his advices on amps for them. For $200, most recommended is Meier Headsix. I never heard it, but it is built and sounds similar to Meier Move. I know Move well and may highly recommend it for HD650.

Kostalex, Thanks!  Any thoughts on the Meier Headsix vs.iBasso D4?  They are my top two choices.

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #3,189 of 3,234
I've not heard them. Basing on my experience with their siblings (Meier Move, D2 Viper, D3, D10 , D12), I would go with D4. I've just learned it is $199 and this is great price for:
  1. Its SQ
  2. DAC
  3. rechargable battery

HeadphoneAddict in his epic review placed D4 over Move.

Quote:
Kostalex, Thanks!  Any thoughts on the Meier Headsix vs.iBasso D4?  They are my top two choices.

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #3,191 of 3,234

Jalo, could you compare the bass between the 71a and P-51 for me? Which is stronger, etc?
Quote:
Quote:
Would anyone care to comment on SR-71a vs. P-51?

I have both SR71a and P-51 since both came out and had kept both until last December when I sold my SR71a.  I like the P-51 sound more than the SR71a.  It is more musical to me.  The SR71a is definitely more powerful than the P-51 but I have the Protector and the SR71B so I didn't need the power of the SR71a.  The P-51 is very small and a perfect amp for all iems but it doesn't drive demanding cans very well.  The 71a is very neutral but too flat for me.  The pros for the 71a is that it uses standard battery so you never have to worry about not able to use the amp because you can't find replacement battery.  It is powerful and can drive demanding amps.  It is well build.  However, since I change to Protector and SR71b, I really like the balance sound character more.  It's more dynamic, open, and involving.  

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #3,193 of 3,234

Quote:
Sorry, D4 SQ is my speculation. I believe it is placed between D12 and D10.

The USB DAC on my D4 ceased to function after a few months (several people have reported a similar problem - its the mini-USB connection on the unit itself), but I am still very happy with its abilities as an amp. My solution was to buy a dedicated USB DAC (Music Streamer II) for use with my computer and a 6G Nano for portable use. I am very happy with these combinations.

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #3,195 of 3,234

Quote:
Skylab,
  Thank you, thank you!  I keep coming back to your thread over and over! 

I have taken the plunge and ordered a pair of Sennhesier HD650.  I know they are better with a home amp, but since I travel, I would like to also have a small inexpensive amp (less than $200).  It seems that people like the Hornet paired with the HD650 but that is out of my price range.  What are your suggestions?

Thanks!

I find the HD650 more difficult to drive than the HD600.  I own the HD600 but sold my HD650.  They like an amp with higher voltage than 5v most of the time. Someone mentioned the Headsix - but I don't think the Headsix is enough for HD600, after I've heard other portables.  I'd venture to say the Meier Headsix/XXS running on 9v power is slightly less powerful than the D4 with 9v, but I'd need to compare them again. 

The $220 D4 in 9v mode is just enough for the HD600, but my Meier 3MOVE has more power and control for the HD600 than D4 even though it's using 9v like the D4.  The 3MOVE on 9v is noticeably better at driving the HD600 than the D4.  If you need portable to drive an HD650 the MOVE, 2MOVE or 3MOVE should do the job, although I've heard the 3MOVE was discontinued.  A used one might go for $200 if you look hard enough.  The amp on the 2MOVE is the same, and only the case is different.  Battery life is actually pretty good (over 50 hours).

I have tried the new Meier Stepdance which also has great power for the HD650, but battery life with the D4 or Stepdance is poor and in the neighborhood of 8-10 hours.  Stepdance does have noticeably more power than the D4, but no DAC.  However it can run on as high as 15v wallwart (regulated) and offers even more power.  On the other hand, the D4 can run in 5v mode via USB power if you run out of battery (which will happen).  If you don't need a DAC, and the 8-10 hour battery life is okay, then the Stepdance would be a better choice for the HD650.  The price is like $255 + shipping.

The Vividaudiotech.com V1 is a $99 amp that has some upper mids coloration that works well with my HD600 and Denon (but not Grado), and somehow it has gobs of power despite charging via 5v USB power.  The AD8397 opamp has good output and is used in the much more expensive Pico - this amp seemed to drive HD600 better than Pico, but the Pico sounded better which not playing as loud.  The optional rapid charger might operate at 9v, I don't recall.  It has more power than the D4 in 9v mode when driving the HD600, and I know it runs over 10 hours on a charge (I forget the exact amount).  

The V1, 3MOVE and Stepdance can make your face and ears vibrate and rattle with the HD600.  They don't feel like portable amps with these phones.  For me the best compromise is the 3MOVE, in terms of sound, power and battery life.  Plus like the D4 the 3MOVE can run off 5v USB with no battery, although you must use the DAC as source for that.  The Stepdance would give slightly better and more open sound, but the V1 sounds pretty good with HD600 if you are on an extreme budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back