Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Jan 8, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #3,031 of 3,234

Quote:
Any updates on the mega comparo? I can definitely wait if the Toucan is being included balanced or if there are plans to review the Ibasso PB2 coming out next week.

I'm very sorry about the delay here.  The holidays distracted me somewhat, but in all honestly the biggest distraction was the Xmas arrival of the Ultrasone Edition 10, which has proven to be both interesting and a little vexing. 

Further, I am having trouble coming to meaningful conclusions in my comparison of the "Big Three".  They are all so very good, you see...

Quote:
Thanks for your years of efforts on this thread Skylab    "Balance" This term has confused me.  What it means depends on who you talk to.
I am NOT an expert on the behavior of electrons. However Phil IS and I defer to his knowledge./ Phil's Lisa design Balances THREE  channels!
That is why it is called Lisa  "III".  The new version L  "3" .And even our name  "TRIAD"   attempt to bring notice of this 3rd channel.  Yes there
are 3 contacts on my head phone jacks. Phil drives them all !  This driven ground  costs  almost, 50% more parts and 50% more size..
I hear about "Lisa is bigger" than the others. However,, Phil said  " the active ground drives the noise into a black hole"   We are not known
for being small.  We give up the size for the sound.  Lisa is balanced  between three channels!    
 I am looking forward to the shootout with clenched cheeks,. WoW, what a way to end this thread. 
With much respect and gratitude:  Thank You Skylab..

Interestingly, all of the "Big Three" as I am now calling them - the L3, the Stepdance, and the SR-71B, are "balanced" to some degree, depending on how you look at it.  The L3 and Stepdance use a variation of this "3rd channel" or "Balanced Ground" concept, and the SR-71B is completely balanced in terms of completely separate amplification chains.

Quote:
Whilst not the snappiest of publication titles,  it was one of those very few ebooks that, once you pick up . you truly can't put down until finished. Sensational.

My pleasure!  Glad is has been helpful.

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #3,032 of 3,234
No problem, Skylab! I have been following your Edition 10 impressions for fun, so I haven't missed out. I am sure the review will be great. Take all the time you need to make the big review a good one.
beerchug.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #3,033 of 3,234
I'm waiting for this final too and thank sky to lead me to buy the Stepdance.
 So I hope the Step Dance will win the battle
tongue_smile.gif
But Actually I'm afraid, that balanced Sr71B is going to win this test.
I feel the LCD2 is somehow power hungry and you know how powerful the SR71 B is. 

thank again for all the great reviews here

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #3,034 of 3,234
I can already tell you guys this much, although I hope it's not a let down: there is not going to be a clear "winner".

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #3,035 of 3,234
There never is. We'd have no need for these sort of threads otherwise
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #3,036 of 3,234
My interest was never who wins or loses but rather what are the strength and weaknesses of each and their sound characters.

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #3,037 of 3,234
Right, and that I am working on outlining.  Each has it's own areas of relative strength versus the other, is what I am finding, not surprisingly.

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #3,038 of 3,234
Quote:
Right, and that I am working on outlining.  Each has it's own areas of relative strength versus the other, is what I am finding, not surprisingly.

Rob, without giving anything away, would you say these are subtle differences or large, easily noticeable diffs? of course the cans you're pairing them will influence this. i used to own the highly regarded xin supermicro 4 and while it could sound quite good, it didn't sound so nice driving k340s!
eek.gif
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #3,039 of 3,234
The differences are generally pretty subtle.  But they're there. 

One thing that is very clear to me - the Meier Stepdance wins in terms of price - performance...and loses in terms of battery life!

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #3,040 of 3,234

Quote:
The differences are generally pretty subtle.  But they're there. 

One thing that is very clear to me - the Meier Stepdance wins in terms of price - performance...and loses in terms of battery life!

I suspected that might be the case, Rob, and its easy for many here to dismiss battery life as 'low priority' when compared to SQ/power etc, but I got the distinct feeling in the iStreamer thread that it CAN be a deal breaker for those who are obsessed with finding the 'ultimate' portable rig.

I was genuinely surprised by the extent to which some of us want it all - human nature, I guess, but I'm not sure how realistic that is when you start carrying an iPad, a dedicated DAC, a headphone amp and a $1000 pair of IEMs around just to listen to a few tunes on the way to work ....

The concept of using a portable amp as part of a stationery bedside or office rig seemed lost on these folk, but that is the niche for the larger portables, IMO.

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #3,041 of 3,234
Very true. Regardless of the outcome of this test, my portable rig will remain an iPod Nano (current gen) and the P51 Mustang - as it is incredibly small, light, and sounds great.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #3,042 of 3,234
The P51 is like having a Transformer hooked up to the JH13 Pro or the PortaPros. It is a small package that has plenty of kick to it. 

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #3,044 of 3,234
Quote:
Very true. Regardless of the outcome of this test, my portable rig will remain an iPod Nano (current gen) and the P51 Mustang - as it is incredibly small, light, and sounds great.

Skylab, it is very interesting that you apparently find the Nano to be a good alternative to your iMod as a line out source!

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #3,045 of 3,234

Skylab, it is very interesting that you apparently find the Nano to be a good alternative to your iMod as a line out source!

For portable use, IMO, it's plenty good enough for me, especially since that rig only gets used on airplanes - once I land, I use the iPad as the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back