Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Mar 23, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #2,372 of 3,234
Great review!!!

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #2,373 of 3,234
Thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #2,374 of 3,234
Cheer's Headphone addict, Edaward NG & Skylab,

I am def ordering a Mustang from Ray when i get paid at end of month!

I will have a look at all the sources mentioned for amp cable connector as after all i will need one (I know i will need two as apparantly i need a "lod" for the Touch), but not sure which would suit which player and phones or will a top cable be good with which ever player/phones i use?
(am i worrying, being analytical to much!?)

Also while i am here, can anyone point me in the right direction of someone who can repair/replace my cable for my Shure E500's as they have the notorious split problem and do not want Shure to touch them (poor customer service) and want a good quality cable that will last!

Thank's guy's & to Skylab once again for the assistance with the amp, can't wait now to order one
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #2,375 of 3,234
Great review!!!

I'm interested in buying Corda 3Move. But I nocited in your review that some amp is not so good to be paired with IEM (causing some hiss). Is Corda 3Move good to be paired with IEM? I'm using UE SF5Pro.

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #2,377 of 3,234
the 2Move is great with IEM's, in low gain mode.

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #2,378 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking for the smaller Headsix, which is the quietest amp I've heard with low impedance IEMs, I'd say you're on the safe side with the 3Move.

Which potentiometer did Jan Meier use in the 3Move? If it is the same as he used in Headsix it has some troubles in the first 10% of the volume where right/left volume balance is really bad. And that is a problem using my ultra sensitive Super FreQs. I can only listen comfortably at very low volumes.

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #2,379 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which potentiometer did Jan Meier use in the 3Move? If it is the same as he used in Headsix it has some troubles in the first 10% of the volume where right/left volume balance is really bad. And that is a problem using my ultra sensitive Super FreQs. I can only listen comfortably at very low volumes.

The volume pot in my 3MOVE is much more accurate at low listening levels with IEM than my Headsix is.

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #2,380 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The volume pot in my 3MOVE is much more accurate at low listening levels with IEM than my Headsix is.

Ok that is great then. For this very same reason I just bought the P-51 Mustang to replace the Headsix.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #2,381 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok that is great then. For this very same reason I just bought the P-51 Mustang to replace the Headsix.

Well, to be fair, the best volume pots I have used for IEM have been on my RSA amps, as well as my Micro Amp, Headfive, and WA6.

May 2, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #2,382 of 3,234
Question about the mustang... Are the batteries replaceable once they die? and compared to good home amps, how do they fare say against a kicas or an audio gd c2c

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #2,384 of 3,234
> Music Max LT1

Info: Welcome to Audiophilechina

I was asked by the exporter/distributor of this product, Audiophilechina, to review it. When it arrived, I was quite shocked about how much it looked like a RSA Tomahawk. I have to admit this initially dampened my enthusiasm for reviewing it. However, since RSA goes through great lengths (wisely, IMHO) to hide the key components of its amps, and since the resemblance is strong, but not exact, I forged on. One thing this amp does NOT have in common with the RSA TH is the price – the LT1 is $99.

Build Quality: A: Nice metal case (see comments above). Very well build and reasonably attractive. SMALL, but solid. There is some noise and hiss at higher rotations of the volume control, but the amp has a LOT of gain, and so this was not really an issue.

Treble: B+: a little grainy and veiled compared to the better amps here, and lacks absolute air and extension – but reasonably transparent. But it is definitely soft on top – something to be aware of in system matching. Wasn’t a good combination with my AT ESW9 in that regard, but was better with my Senn PXC350’s.

Midrange: A-: generally smooth sound not too forward, and clean enough, pleasant presentation, without the last word in transparency or openness. A little lush, which is a nice place to be, though. Vocals and string tone were natural sounding, and well served.

Bass:
A: Very good definition and depth; nice and punchy and full. Very impressive for an amp in this price range. Double kick drum like from Sirenia’s “The Mind Maelstrom” was very impactful.

Neutrality:
A-: not extended, slightly rolled off treble, is the main issue here, but with the right headphones, like say Ultrasones, if could be bliss.

Soundstaging: B+ Nothing really spectacular here, but nothing really shameful, either. A bit better with depth than width. The main issue is that there was no “out of the head” image placement at all.

Transparency: B+: The amp sounds nice, but just does not provide the “open window on the music” that better amps do. It takes only a few seconds of listening to the iQube to realize how big the difference is in this regard. Then again, the iQube is 5-6x the price!

If you have only $99 to spend and want a decent portable amp, the LT1 is very easy to recommend. I was more impressed with it than I was the same-priced NuForce Icon. While I wouldn’t really call it a giant-killer, it certainly punches above its weight class. However, if you can spend just $60 more, the Meier Audio Headsix is a much better amp. But in the lower price classes, money buys a lot more improvement than it does at the higher end! For the asking price, the Music-Max LT1 gets an enthusiastic recommendation.

Conclusions (6/9/09)

NOTE: All new reviews have to be added to the end of the thread due to the length of this post - only the rankings will now change.

OK, so now it’s now 48 amps! Here is my view on how the amps stacked up. Note that the sum of the "Grades" I give does not always tell the whole story in how I rank them, since the whole is sometimes greater or lesser than the sum of the parts, and I am often forced to split hairs here, since the list has gotten so long. Also please note that even if these amps include a DAC, that DAC performance was NOT a factor in these rankings AT ALL. Also, for clarification, this ranking is based on sound quality ONLY, and does not take things like size or battery life into account.

1. Triad Audio Lisa III @ $600.00; Power supply is $350 additional
2. Qables iQube @ $605.00
2. RSA Mustang P-51 (review here) @ $375.00
2. Larocco Audio Pocket Reference II mk 2 (availability unknown - PLEASE read entire review)
3. Headamp Pico @ $349.00
3. Meier Audio 2MOVE (and the older MOVE) (3MOVE @ $270.00)
4. RSA SR71 @ $395.00
4. RSA The Predator @ $475.00
5. RSA The Hornet “M” @ $370.00
6. Xenos 1HA-EPC (discontinued)
7. RSA Tomahawk @ $295.00
7. Meier Audio XXS / Headsix @ $166.00/187.00
8. TTVJ Portable Millet Hybrid @ $459.00
8. Decware Zenhead @ $295.00
8. iBasso D3 Python $219.00 (review here)
9. Xin Reference @ $279.99
9. Meier Audio Porta Corda III (discontinued)
9. Xin SuperMicro IV (current version auditioned 1/22/08) @ $199.99
10. ALO Double Mini3 (review here) @ $235.00
10. Headamp AE-2 @ $349.00
10. Graham Slee Voyager @ $233.00 + S&H from UK
11. iBasso D2 Boa $165.00 (review here)
11. Go-Vibe 7
11. Mini3 (Price depends on build) built @ $125.00
12. Leckerton Audio UHA-3 @ $189.00
13. Portaphile V2^2 @ $275.00
14. mSeed Spirit (discontinued)
14. Mini-Box E @ $229.00
15. Storm 3 (NOT B3) (review here)
15. Storm Little-2 (review here)
15. Storm B4
16. iBasso P-1 (discontinued)
17. Visely HEA- 1 @ $135.00
18. Microshar uAmp107 @ $135.00
18. Practical Devices XM4 @ $135.00
18. C&C XO @ $209.00
19 Music Max LT1 $99
19. iBasso T2 (T4@ $109.00)
20. NuForce $99 (review here)
20. Go-Vibe 6 (discontinued)
21. Xtra X-1 Pro @ $104.00
22. Xenos 0HA-REP (discontinued)
22. iBasso T1 (discontinued)
23. Xtra X-1 (discontinued)
24. C&C Box V2
25. Storm B3
25. Little Dot Micro+ (discontinued)

As always, this is JUST MY OPINION, but I hope it has been helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back