Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Oct 1, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #1,246 of 3,234
HI
Have a query,the pr II on the ipodstudio website is it the mk2 version or the older one.And full monty at ipodstuido told me ther eis a 3 week lead time so any of you guys by experince do you think the wait would go beyond 3 weeks or does full monty keEp to his word
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #1,247 of 3,234
I don't know anything about what ipodstudio is selling, but Larocco Audio is definitely flaky about how long you may have to wait...

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #1,250 of 3,234
I have just updated the review to include the following:

Update 10-5-07

Leckerton Audio UHA-3

Info:

The UHA-3 was loaned to me by it's maker, at my request. It's got a USB DAC, which I will comment on elsewhere, but which I will say here works very well and sounds very similar to the analog input performance which I detail here.

Build Quality: A: Well built in a nice metal hammond case. Nice faceplate and knobs. Batteries recharge with the USB connection, very nice way to go! Power switch on the rear, separate from the volume knob is also very nice IMO. Well built little amp..
Treble: A-: Nice, sweet, grainless, and clean, but slightly laid back. Lacks ultimate air and extension, but still very enjoyable. This may be what makes the soundstage seem slightly small, though.
Midrange: A-: The midrange is open, lush, inviting, and nicely transparent, although not quite as much so as the top amps here. It's not the least bit too aggressive, but it is just a tad warm of neutral. Still, here again, very enjoyable presentation.
Bass: A+: Bass lover's amp to be sure. Great impact, depth, punch, and definition. Really enjoyed this part of the presentation.
Neutrality: A-: Slightly warmish sound. More so even than the Meier Move, but not so much that the amp sounds colored, just a tad mellow.
Soundstaging: B+: The soundstage is slightly small feeling. Instrument placement and image specificity is good, but it seems like the stage is a little too shallow and a little lacking in width. Still, not bad, and not a fatal flaw at all.
Transparency: A-: Loses just a little for a slight hiss that is present at any volume level, but in general, an open, transparent sound that's very enjoyable.

The battery lasted me over 24 hours on a single charge. The UHA has a lot of nice features, and it sounds VERY good. It's easily worth the asking price, and belongs in the top tier of portable amps. I was really impressed. The quality of current portable amp offerings is stunningly strong, and the UHA-3 is no exception. Nice job to Leckerton Audio.

Conclusions (10/5/07)

OK, so now its now 25 amps! Here is my view on how the amps stacked up. Note that the sum of the "Grades" I give does not always tell the whole story in how I rank them, since the whole is sometimes greater or lesser than the sum of the parts, and I am often forced to split hairs here, since the list has gotten so long.

1. Triad Audio Lisa III
2. Larocco Audio Pocket Reference II mk 2
2. Meier Audio MOVE
3. RSA SR71
4. RSA The Hornet “M”
5. Xenos 1HA-EPC
6. RSA Tomahawk
7. Meier Audio Porta Corda III
7. Xin SuperMicro IV
8. Headamp AE-2
9. Leckerton Audio UHA-3
10. Portaphile V2^2
11. Storm B-4
12. mSeed Spirit
13. iBasso P-1
14. Microshar uAmp107
14. Practical Devices XM4
15. C&C XO
16. iBasso T2
17. Go-Vibe 6
18. Xtra X-1 Pro
19. Xenos 0HA-REP
19. iBasso T1
20. Xtra X-1
21. C&C Box V2
22. Little Dot Micro+

As always, this is JUST MY OPINION, but I hope it has been helpful.

Oct 6, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #1,251 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just updated the review to include the following:

Update 10-5-07

Leckerton Audio UHA-3

Info:

The UHA-3 was loaned to me by it's maker, at my request. It's got a USB DAC, which I will comment on elsewhere, but which I will say here works very well and sounds very similar to the analog input performance which I detail here.

Build Quality: A: Well built in a nice metal hammond case. Nice faceplate and knobs. Batteries recharge with the USB connection, very nice way to go! Power switch on the rear, separate from the volume knob is also very nice IMO. Well built little amp..
Treble: A-: Nice, sweet, grainless, and clean, but slightly laid back. Lacks ultimate air and extension, but still very enjoyable. This may be what makes the soundstage seem slightly small, though.
Midrange: A-: The midrange is open, lush, inviting, and nicely transparent, although not quite as much so as the top amps here. It's not the least bit too aggressive, but it is just a tad warm of neutral. Still, here again, very enjoyable presentation.
Bass: A+: Bass lover's amp to be sure. Great impact, depth, punch, and definition. Really enjoyed this part of the presentation.
Neutrality: A-: Slightly warmish sound. More so even than the Meier Move, but not so much that the amp sounds colored, just a tad mellow.
Soundstaging: B+: The soundstage is slightly small feeling. Instrument placement and image specificity is good, but it seems like the stage is a little too shallow and a little lacking in width. Still, not bad, and not a fatal flaw at all.
Transparency: A-: Loses just a little for a slight hiss that is present at any volume level, but in general, an open, transparent sound that's very enjoyable.

The battery lasted me over 24 hours on a single charge. The UHA has a lot of nice features, and it sounds VERY good. It's easily worth the asking price, and belongs in the top tier of portable amps. I was really impressed. The quality of current portable amp offerings is stunningly strong, and the UHA-3 is no exception. Nice job to Leckerton Audio.

Conclusions (10/5/07)

OK, so now its now 25 amps! Here is my view on how the amps stacked up. Note that the sum of the "Grades" I give does not always tell the whole story in how I rank them, since the whole is sometimes greater or lesser than the sum of the parts, and I am often forced to split hairs here, since the list has gotten so long.

1. Triad Audio Lisa III
2. Meier Audio MOVE
3. RSA SR71
4. RSA The Hornet “M”
5. Xenos 1HA-EPC
6. RSA Tomahawk
7. Xin SuperMicro IV
8. Headamp AE-2
9. Leckerton Audio UHA-3
10. Portaphile V2^2
11. Storm B-4
12. mSeed Spirit
13. iBasso P-1
14. Microshar uAmp107
15. C&C XO
16. iBasso T2
17. Go-Vibe 6
18. Xtra X-1 Pro
19. Xenos 0HA-REP
19. iBasso T1
20. Xtra X-1
21. C&C Box V2
22. Little Dot Micro+

As always, this is JUST MY OPINION, but I hope it has been helpful.

Skylab, so now that you have also tested out the iBasso D1, where would you rate it in your growing list? and the modded version of D1 you tested also?

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #1,253 of 3,234
Quote:

1. Triad Audio Lisa III
2. Meier Audio MOVE
3. RSA SR71
4. RSA The Hornet “M”
5. Xenos 1HA-EPC
6. RSA Tomahawk
7. Xin SuperMicro IV
8. Headamp AE-2
9. Leckerton Audio UHA-3
10. Portaphile V2^2
11. Storm B-4
12. mSeed Spirit
13. iBasso P-1
14. Microshar uAmp107
15. C&C XO
16. iBasso T2
17. Go-Vibe 6
18. Xtra X-1 Pro
19. Xenos 0HA-REP
19. iBasso T1
20. Xtra X-1
21. C&C Box V2
22. Little Dot Micro+

Where's the D1?

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #1,255 of 3,234
Guys, my loan of the iBasso D1 was contingent on my commenting on it in context of it being a DAC/AMP, not a portable amp like most of these. That is why there is a different review thread I started for it.

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #1,256 of 3,234
Sorry if this has been asked before... can't seem to find a specific answer... but I'm considering buying the MOVE, now, my specific need is an amp that's got strong bass in the 100Hz and below range. YOu gave the MOVE an A+ in bass, along with the UHA3... does that mean that they are equally "bassy"? Which of these amps had the strongest bass? Is the MOVE one of the stronger bass amps?

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #1,257 of 3,234
Both have excellent bass, and you couldn't go wrong in that department with either, although I still prefer the Move overall.

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #1,258 of 3,234
Quote:

Guys, my loan of the iBasso D1 was contingent on my commenting on it in context of it being a DAC/AMP, not a portable amp like most of these. That is why there is a different review thread I started for it.

But you still have it (at least mine), so you could comment on how this particularly modded iBasso D1 amp section sounds.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #1,259 of 3,234
LOL Miguel! But I just don't think it's right. The D1 isn't meant to be a stand-alone headphone amp, so it just doesn't belong here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back