Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Apr 23, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #512 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the Grado RA1. Not really a portable amp but in the same price range. Has anyone heard this one with AKG 701

Not with the 701, but with the 501 and the DT880. I keep going back to this for its uninvolved very transparent reproduction. Whether it be a Somy DEJ 2000 or an iMod, I just like its simple presentation.

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #513 of 3,234
so, when's the Millet Tube Portable making her entrance?
very_evil_smiley.gif

For anyone interested though, Mrarroyo and Vorlon1 have some interesting impressions
over in the millet tube portable thread here post #183 http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...221782&page=10

Apr 23, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #514 of 3,234
The Millet Tube Portable interests me to be sure, but it's expensive, and so I am not going to buy one, especially after Mrarroyo has already commented on it, and since he had some small problems with his.

Apr 23, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #515 of 3,234
Thanks to GreatDane, today updated with the Meier PCIII:

> Meier Audio Porta Corda III

http://www.meier-audio.de

GreatDane was nice enough to lend me a Meier Porta Corda Mk III to review. The PCIII is large-ish for a portable amp – longer than a SR71, but a little shorter, and since it’s in a plastic case, it’s lighter than the SR71. I am not a fan of the PCIII’s industrial design – it isn’t going to win any beauty contests, that’s for sure. But I am not reviewing these things for looks, so how is the sound? In a word, great. It’s definitely in that top tier of amps that make me go “WOW this sounds good!”.

Build Quality: B+: Here again, the amp is functional and the case is solid enough, but it’s not pretty at all. Connectors are all above-average solid, though, so it gets some points back for that.
Treble: A: Treble is amazingly clear. Smooth, open, liquid, and detailed ZERO grain. Highly transparent, and neutral. Shares this with its big brother home amps. Great air. Maybe lacks that very last bit of extension that the Larocco amp has, though.
Midrange: A: Here again, very open, smooth grain-free, transparent sound. Talk about an open window to the music! This is the kind of midrange performance that we live for.
Bass: A-: Excels in pitch, attach, and definition. It doesn’t have quite the punch of an RSA amp in this regard, however.
Neutrality: A-: Neutral except for the very slight lack of bass weight.
Soundstaging: A-: soundstage width is excellent, depth is just short of the best. Image specificity is very good. A couple of times I actually turned my head to “listen” for a sound!
Transparency: A: This is a strong suit to be sure – Meier amps are jaw-droppingly transparent.

So the PCIII is not just a great amp, but with it’s $160USD price, it’s an incredible value, and it has to be that it and the Xin SuperMicroIV are the two best VALUE portable amps I have ever heard. I cannot imagine better sound for less. If you can deal with the pedestrian looks, this amp rewards with way above price-class sound.

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #516 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PCIII is large-ish for a portable amp – longer than a SR71, but a little shorter

So which is it, already?
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #519 of 3,234
Yep, Nick got it
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #521 of 3,234
Skylab, did you try out the USB DAC?

OH YES! using the DAC is a true delight, and possibly even better than a good quality analog source...power it with a 30 volt wall wart and POW!
eggosmile.gif

I thought the amp was a good value at what I paid but I believe Dr. Meier has lowered the price...correct?

Thanks for the review. Great job.

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #522 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab, did you try out the USB DAC?

OH YES! using the DAC is a true delight, and possibly even better than a good quality analog source...power it with a 30 volt wall wart and POW!
eggosmile.gif

I thought the amp was a good value at what I paid but I believe Dr. Meier has lowered the price...correct?

Thanks for the review. Great job.

I did not try the USB DAC, since it wasn't really relevant to the review, and I have heard Meier's excellent USB DACs in other products. And yeah, Meier lowered the price of thr PCIII, so it's a heck of a deal currently.

Thanks again for the loan!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But how does the Grado RA1 fit into the SQ of the other 19 or so amps listed on this thread???

I cannot help, never heard one.

Apr 24, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #523 of 3,234
skylab, any particular reason why the new go-vibe V6 not in the review yet ? I mean I have one I can loan you for a few days if you're interested, and if thats the only reason why.
Mine's the AD8620 version. Would be nice if someone can send you the AD8397 version as well.

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #525 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandrake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish the Porta Corda III USB was rechargeable.... Any hint that this may be in the wings? Great review....

Thanks!

That would be nice for a future version(internal rechargeable lithium). The 9 volt battery is easy to change. It has a slide-off plastic cover with no screws. Battery life is pretty good from my memory (35 hour+/-).

One thing that was not mentioned in the review is the excellent crossfeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back