Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Aug 13, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #2,748 of 3,234
I see the Toucan quickly becoming the top price/performance winner on this list if someone gets one to review
wink_face.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #2,749 of 3,234

Quote:
I see the Toucan quickly becoming the top price/performance winner on this list if someone gets one to review
wink_face.gif

I have the Toucan, though have no other portable headphone amp to compare it to, other than one of those cheap Bravo V2 hybrid tube amp things,  but in power and SQ it competes with this, and thats just using a single ended connection.

Battery is great too, so for me it is a great, small & tidy little desktop amp. I would be very interested to see how it compares with other portable amps, esp. in SE only mode, hopefully Skylab can grab one to review soon.

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #2,750 of 3,234
Don't own either, but many who have heard both have been comparing it favorably to the Protector.  Since the Protector is currently the top of the list in *real* portable amps (of which Skylab correctly states that the fiQuest and Lisa don't really count), I'd expect we might have a new champion.

Aug 15, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #2,752 of 3,234

Quote:
Skylab, do plan on reviewing the rsa sr-71b when it arrives? I'm dying to buy a protector or p-51, but the description of the sr-71b on ray's site really makes me want to wait too!

Wow - you just brought my attention to the SR-71b. It is nothing less than an epic speech written on the RSA website. It has to be good to live up to that. 
regular_smile .gif

Aug 15, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #2,753 of 3,234
Just wanna thank Skylab for compiling this post, it's really helpful for the newbies :)

Keep up the spectacular work

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #2,754 of 3,234
Quote:
Wow - you just brought my attention to the SR-71b. It is nothing less than an epic speech written on the RSA website. It has to be good to live up to that. 
regular_smile%20.gif

It doesn't have to live up to that anymore than the Protector had to live up to the claim of a soundstage that wrapped all around your head. RSA are marketing geniuses. Seriously, they are very good - the best on Head-Fi.

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #2,755 of 3,234

Quote:
It doesn't have to live up to that anymore than the Protector had to live up to the claim of a soundstage that wrapped all around your head. RSA are marketing geniuses. Seriously, they are very good - the best on Head-Fi.

Yeah - I have had the P-51 since it came and I am still loving it. I am sure 71b will lift the bar even further for portable devices. I am looking forward to read about it and hopefully listen to it at a meet soon. It really is exciting times in portable head-fi. 
regular_smile .gif

Aug 15, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #2,756 of 3,234

Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that RSA's amps are genuinely some of the best. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #2,757 of 3,234
At the moment I have no plans to review the SR71b, but that could well change.  I have two other reviews to finish, one for the Meier Stepdance, and a DAC review, then I will see if Ray wants to loan me a SR71b for a spin...

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #2,759 of 3,234
Can this amp be used with a Cowan S9 ......I hear conflicting opinions about the line out vs headphone out.   Is this amp more bang for the buck than RSA because its is half the price of the P-51 mustang.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #2,760 of 3,234
Which amp were you referring to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back