Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Jan 7, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #2,251 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Byrnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be very interested in seeing what you thought of the Cute Beyond amp and see where you rank it compared to the others you have ranked. I love mine but I'm curious if there's better portables out there.

He did a review of the Cute beyond and compared it to a couple of desktop amps - REVIEW: Firestone Audio iCute Headphone Amplifier and Fubar III USB DAC/Headphone Amplifier - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

I did a review too and compared to a few desktop amps and Headroom Micro Amp portable, and think a few portables come close to matching it in both sound and power, like the HR Micro Amp 2006, Pico, 3MOVE, TTVJ portable Millett hybrid and maybe the PD XM5. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ar-iii-334293/

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #2,252 of 3,234
Right - and the Cute Beyond is not a portable amp
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #2,253 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right - and the Cute Beyond is not a portable amp
wink.gif

Skylab: Ahh my mistake

HeadphoneAddict: Thanks for the links I should have searched first, sorry about that.

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #2,254 of 3,234
just got my Lyrix in the mail....indeed its a great sounding amp...havent tried it yet with USB. Im wondering if it will work with ASIO or KS?

Jan 9, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #2,255 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got my Lyrix in the mail....indeed its a great sounding amp...havent tried it yet with USB. Im wondering if it will work with ASIO or KS?

It will indeed work with asio. I haven't tried ks, but it was pretty easy to setup with asio4all on winamp on my laptop (running vista).
smile_phones.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #2,256 of 3,234
Just a BIG thank you to Skylab & HeadphoneAddict for your efforts in reviewing all of these amps.

Thanks to HeadphoneAddict I've had the NuForce Icon Mobile for some 3 weeks now - and yes, the sound via USB DAC is better than via analog input to these ears. And I think for $99 it's quite good value, though in my case I had to pay $175 due to postage and import duty ($45!!) charges.

Thanks to Skylab I received the P-51 Mustang 3 days ago - 50 hours burn-in so far, and it's a great sounding little amp!!

I'll wait a little longer and see if I may end up selling the NuForce as I don't listen to music through my PC as much as I do from my 160gb iPod.

Yesterday I ordered (what I'm hoping will be) a quality LOD cable from qusp and hope that'll make the Mustang sound even better.

Thanks to both of you again

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #2,257 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a BIG thank you to Skylab & HeadphoneAddict for your efforts in reviewing all of these amps.

Thanks to HeadphoneAddict I've had the NuForce Icon Mobile for some 3 weeks now - and yes, the sound via USB DAC is better than via analog input to these ears. And I think for $99 it's quite good value, though in my case I had to pay $175 due to postage and import duty ($45!!) charges.

Thanks to Skylab I received the P-51 Mustang 3 days ago - 50 hours burn-in so far, and it's a great sounding little amp!!

I'll wait a little longer and see if I may end up selling the NuForce as I don't listen to music through my PC as much as I do from my 160gb iPod.

Yesterday I ordered (what I'm hoping will be) a quality LOD cable from qusp and hope that'll make the Mustang sound even better.

Thanks to both of you again

While I respect Skylab immensely, I don't agree with everything he says about the Nuforce Icon Mobile, although I am using it via USB almost exclusively. In doing my first comparison with my new Meier 3MOVE the other day I still find the Nuforce is not as bright and piercing and forward as he makes it out to be.

With my woodied recabled D2000 and a couple of other headphones I feel the Nuforce is only slightly brighter and slightly more forward/agressive than the Meier 3MOVE, with slightly less bass than the 3MOVE. Although the 3MOVE is also more neutral, refined and transparent sounding with bigger soundstage, they sound like they could be cousins due to some areas of similarity in the sound signature.\

PS: Thanks for the compliments
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #2,258 of 3,234
We all hear differently! Plus we have different gear, music, etc. The thing to remember is that although there are differences they are not night and day, so any of the top 10 amps will make anyone happy. Yes they are that good.

Remember, not everyone likes chocolate.

Jan 10, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #2,259 of 3,234
Right - that is why it's good that you two guys have done the great reviews you have done - so people on this site have several large comparative reviews to help guide them.

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #2,260 of 3,234
And that is an advantage to all of us that these guys have put so much time into inking their opinions for us.

Thanks again all.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #2,261 of 3,234
Wow, im more impressed with the Lyrix pro USB. The DAC isnt bad at all....its actually kinda nice.

I was wondering something, the battery will charge via USB correct? Will the light turn on green when its recharged or does it stay green till its recharged?

I cant believe im even saying this, but even the bass boost is nice for my SR60s. Really gives them depth.

It pushes the 650s, not like a huge home amp, but its not terrible either...im still shocked it sounds the way it sounds.

Also, what is the rating on the adpater? 15V @ how many mA?

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #2,262 of 3,234
I just got done with some emails back and forth with Robert from Headphonia...he told me that the battery will not charge via USB. However, was able to get a adapter from him for 10$.

Jan 17, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #2,263 of 3,234
Nice list. Very informative. Where does the Fiio E5 stand?

Jan 17, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #2,264 of 3,234
Thanks for the kind words. Cannot answer your question though - never heard the Fiio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back