[REVIEW] Phonak Audéo PFE 022 Perfect Bass
Apr 12, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #31 of 47

Quote:
They are all over-the-ear so microphonics is very low. But for comparison sake, I will say PFE is a little less microphonics than A151.

interesting. even having the twisted cable...
general question: so what exactly makes the earphones more mircorphonic than other? any thread that talks about this?

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #32 of 47
Quote:
So... anyone want to talk me out of buying these or should I just do it anyways?
ph34r.gif

I can't do that.  LOL.  

These things really are outstanding...compared to the 215s...they stack up pretty well.  I like the 215s a little better sound-wise because they are a little brighter and a little bassier (to be expected), but the Phonaks are significantly more comfortable for me.  I know a lot of people who swear by the 215 design, so it's all personal preference.  My only issue with the PFBs is that they aren't very loud...they need a significant amount of power going to them to push them correctly.  My Zune HD barely can do it by itself...I almost have to have the player turned all the way up.  They are just so damn comfortable and easy to wear I just deal with them...I've tried a ton of headphones in the <140 dollar range and these are my favorites design wise, you can barely tell you're wearing them.

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #33 of 47

Quote:
interesting. even having the twisted cable...
general question: so what exactly makes the earphones more mircorphonic than other? any thread that talks about this?

I'll have to say the major factor seems to be the plastic material and out finishing on the cable sleeve. Often the stiffer and rougher the sleeve is, the more microphonics it has since harder substance transmit sound better and rougher surface generate more noise due to fiction against other surface.

Apr 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #35 of 47
I can't do that.  LOL.  

These things really are outstanding...compared to the 215s...they stack up pretty well.  I like the 215s a little better sound-wise because they are a little brighter and a little bassier (to be expected), but the Phonaks are significantly more comfortable for me.  I know a lot of people who swear by the 215 design, so it's all personal preference.  My only issue with the PFBs is that they aren't very loud...they need a significant amount of power going to them to push them correctly.  My Zune HD barely can do it by itself...I almost have to have the player turned all the way up.  They are just so damn comfortable and easy to wear I just deal with them...I've tried a ton of headphones in the <140 dollar range and these are my favorites design wise, you can barely tell you're wearing them.

I love how the 215 sounds so I guess I'll stick with them for now and hold off on the Phonaks. I really want to try the Phonaks just because of the comfort. I do think the 215 are very very comfortable, especially fo sleeping but they aren't perfect.

ClieOS I'm really looking forward to your comparison with the 215. If you weren't so far away I would've been happy to lend them to you. I really want to see what big reviewers line you and joker have to say about them and how they stack up against other headphones in the price range.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #36 of 47
I'm choosing between an A151, Phonak Audéo PFE 022 Perfect Bass, and the soundmagic e30.
I will be doing a little excercise with them so I want a good fit over the ear.
As far as sound quality I love the sweet somewhat bright mids with the nice texture and amountn of bass, but not too much, just enough to make its presence and impact, a lot less bass than the s4 to put into perspective.
I listen to 30 percent hip hop, 20 percent Dubstep, 20 percent Rock, 10 percent DnB, 10 percent Accoustic, and 10 percent international. 
Budget is not important, but value is and the three are priced very far apart for me the e30 is 40, the a151 is 50, and the Phonak Audéo PFE 022 Perfect Bass is 100. Also if i go with the A151 or Phonak Audéo PFE 022 Perfect Bass I will probably buy rubber hear hook guides any idea what they are called so i can get em off amazon or something, I was told that I could buy them straight off of meelectronics.

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #37 of 47

Quote:
I'm choosing between an A151, Phonak Audéo PFE 022 Perfect Bass, and the soundmagic e30.

If money is not a concern, PFE022 is the best sounding of the three and most versatile on different genres. However, A151 at $50 is probably the best bang for the bucks. If you are already considering PFE022 and A151, then there is no reason to put E30 into the selection anymore. Note, A151 has twisted cable so ear guide probably won't work out very well (and AFAIK, MEElec doesn't have ear guide for it). You can however get ear guide for PFE022 since Phonak does have them as accessory. The official name is 'Phonak Silicone Ear Guides'.

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #38 of 47

Quote:

If money is not a concern, PFE022 is the best sounding of the three and most versatile on different genres. However, A151 at $50 is probably the best bang for the bucks. If you are already considering PFE022 and A151, then there is no reason to put E30 into the selection anymore. Note, A151 has twisted cable so ear guide probably won't work out very well (and AFAIK, MEElec doesn't have ear guide for it). You can however get ear guide for PFE022 since Phonak does have them as accessory. The official name is 'Phonak Silicone Ear Guides'.

awesome thanks I'll look for that and actually ill take the a151 out of the mix and put the m2 in instead because according to some reviews the a151 are a lot of mids and not much treble and their a lot more accurate than fun sounding and i want pretty fun sounding but still accurate. If i decide to spend 100 on the buds then ill definatley go with the Phonak PFE 022  Other wise I'll get the m2 with the silicone guides because the e30 is sold out pretty much everywhere that i found xD

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #39 of 47
Just received my 022's this weekend, and nothing short of thrilled with them.   I have an eclectic taste and these are perfect for my needs.

They are replacing some Hippo VBs which I just sold, which were replacing some Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10's. 
I can honestly report that without any burn-in they are easily superior to the Hippo VB's.   I'm not entirely sure why people rave about the Hippo's.   They have absolutely no sound separation, the treble and mids are totally washed out; all they have going for them is sub bass, which while more present than in any headphone I've ever owned, sounds muddied.  

The Phonak's sound clearer to me than the triplefi's on the top end.  and the bass is very present, not overdone in my opinion, and good enough for electronica, while the highs and mids are clear, separated and easily capable of rendering a balanced sound for jazz and piano.  

Isolation is amazing, no microphonics, and the mic works very well. 

Currently I am having trouble removing them from my ears, as I'm enjoying them so much...
All for $100.   are you kidding me? heaven...

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #42 of 47
Yesterday I was heard this 022 sounds, and I think the bass in my music is not really good for me IMO, cz I like to heard led zeppelin and CCR songs, so I'll get 112 as son as possible..
When my VC02 was sold, Im looking for new IEM wich have clarity and good response bass but not a monster bass, is my choises is right (112)??

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #44 of 47
Jun 30, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #45 of 47
i'm not sure how bassy the pfe012 are... at least to my ears... i think they really need to change the name from perfect bass- to something like buttery smooth or something... its not that bassy

to me its a leaner take on the conventional bassy/consumer oriented sound that so many either love or hate

below is my first impression video on the pfe012

Users who are viewing this thread

Back