[Review] Philips SHL3300 "DJ" Headphones - Most Underrated Headphone?
Aug 17, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #121 of 458
  Just got these with the deal. They sound great. Decent clarity. I was not expecting this wonderful bass. They're going to be very good for movies. 

I think sound quality-wise they're up there close to some 50+ dollar headphones but maybe the longer I listen I'll notice some weaknesses but currently I'm starting to think Philips is hugely underrated in the headphone world in this lower price range

I think they have great drivers that were put in a weird design. The coiled part of the cord is up closer to the headphones rather than down by the plugin (very unusual design so far not a problem). Earpads are huge. They look like they house 50mm drivers instead of 40mm. I think putting different earpads on these could easily take them to another level almost like they were designed to be around ear but at the last minute they went with on-ear pads. 

Buy some DT770 earpads with them, it will make the headphones over ear, make them unbelievably comfortable, and the soundstage is absolutely magnificent.

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #124 of 458
Update on the sound of the SHL3300:

These are some true basshead headphones. Seems to have a L shaped sound signature. Very bass forward with lower mids and treble. There seems to be something missing in the treble, has the standard treble roll off in most popular consumer headphones, but they also have a hazyness in the highs-kind of like the M80's, makes me miss that crispness in the treble. 

I'm obviously judging them on an ideal sound sig/quality which is unfair for something at this price range. It has enough overall quality though to make it a great deal at the 20 dollar price range as long as you don't mind some powerful bass.

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #127 of 458
Very similar to the X1 in sound signature, bass is more fun than X1 as it has more sub bass.  Only difference is slightly narrower soundstage, slightly less detail and less airy than the X1.  The Philips fx5m is even better than the shl3300 and I have now replaced my shl3300 with them. Thicker, warmer bass and more treble.

Nov 13, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #131 of 458
The shl3300 has a more natural neutral sound signature than the others and better sub bass.  The 681 sounded a bit shrill and the downtowns had a slightly veiled midrange.  In preference: shl3300 > downtown > hd681

Shl3300 is a safe buy, they are non offensive sounding with a good soundstage equal to the downtowns, not sure if it is as wide as the 681.

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #135 of 458
I can vouch for the original 681s and say that the shl3300 is more natural and neutral whilst having a good sub bass, as memory serves it is as good as the 681 in the bass department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back