Review: Philips SHE-3590
Nov 27, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #16 of 86
  That can benefit a lot from EQ. Joe Bloggs has a good thread on that: http://www.head-fi.org/t/561951/philips-she3580-iem-review-how-can-something-sound-so-good-for-10

Yeah I just put it on treble cut and the sibilance gets tamed

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #18 of 86
I got a pair of 3595's for my gf and I gave them a little go too. I have to say that for the 8.61€ (roughly 12$) they are indeed a great buy. They look nice, they are quite comfortable and lightweight and seem sturdy enough. The sound is ok, for the price it's great, but compared to my Pistons they lack in every aspect. Not by much, but still, there's a very noticeable difference. What bothered me the most was the lack of clarity compared to the Pistons, even though the Philips has the very top end treble that the Pistons lack. Other than that I think that the Pistons are worth the extra, even though I can't say that the SHE3595 sucks, it's great for the money and probably beats 99,9% of all headphones under $15, but for just a bit more you could get a lot better sounding headphone (got my Pistons for $22). 

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #19 of 86
Is SHE3590 BLUE and SHE3590BK/10 are same in sound quality??

Way to revive the thread guys. But as far as I know, they should sound the same.

I got a pair of 3595's for my gf and I gave them a little go too. I have to say that for the 8.61€ (roughly 12$) they are indeed a great buy. They look nice, they are quite comfortable and lightweight and seem sturdy enough. The sound is ok, for the price it's great, but compared to my Pistons they lack in every aspect. Not by much, but still, there's a very noticeable difference. What bothered me the most was the lack of clarity compared to the Pistons, even though the Philips has the very top end treble that the Pistons lack. Other than that I think that the Pistons are worth the extra, even though I can't say that the SHE3595 sucks, it's great for the money and probably beats 99,9% of all headphones under $15, but for just a bit more you could get a lot better sounding headphone (got my Pistons for $22). 

LOL You have the Pistons, brah? Glad to see you like it. 

Strange thing is, how did you get it for that much? Does the $22 price include the shipping? Because that's a little expensive (though 22 bucks is still pocket change). I got mine for $16.

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #20 of 86
  Way to revive the thread guys. But as far as I know, they should sound the same.

LOL You have the Pistons, brah? Glad to see you like it. 

Strange thing is, how did you get it for that much? Does the $22 price include the shipping? Because that's a little expensive (though 22 bucks is still pocket change). I got mine for $16.

I don't live in China, so I had to order them from Ibuygou. It's actually $27.99 right now, so I'm not even mad :D

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #21 of 86
I've been recommending the SHE3590 to friends and forum members for a couple years now (predecessor was the 3580, same phone).  Just can't be beat for $15.

Mar 26, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #23 of 86
  I don't live in China, so I had to order them from Ibuygou. It's actually $27.99 right now, so I'm not even mad :D

Wait what?! Lol.

I've been recommending the SHE3590 to friends and forum members for a couple years now (predecessor was the 3580, same phone).  Just can't be beat for $15.

+1

Which one is best ?
SHE3590 or RP-HJE120
Which is best and value for money headphone.....if
you know any other phone please let me know

I have no idea what the HJE120 is or what it sounds like. Never seen one IRL before, so I can't say for sure. From my experiences with the 3590, I'd simply pick that one. What music do you listen to and how much is your budget? If I could recommend "any other phone" you'd have to write me up some details. Thanks.

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #24 of 86
Is there an equalizer program out there, where if you boost the 16Khz range, the volume doesn't change in the song? Because they sound REALLY good if you boost the 16Khz up, without touching the other frequencies. The only problem with I noticed with Windows Media Player, is that the volume in the song changes a bit when you boost a certain frequency up by a few DB. And it's even worse on my soundcard.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #25 of 86
  Is there an equalizer program out there, where if you boost the 16Khz range, the volume doesn't change in the song? Because they sound REALLY good if you boost the 16Khz up, without touching the other frequencies. The only problem with I noticed with Windows Media Player, is that the volume in the song changes a bit when you boost a certain frequency up by a few DB. And it's even worse on my soundcard.

What do you mean by "volume changes"? And why the hell are you using the EQ on WMP? That, and why are you boosting the 16KHz band? Won't that hurt your ears?

Look, I'd really like a better explanation of your "volume changes" because frankly, I'm willing to bet that the phenomenon is simply a natural compensation because of that boost you did. And if you boost frequencies on an EQ, chances are you'll get some wickedly nasty distortion, which is a really bad thing for both your ears and your earphones. Here's a tip for EQing: subtract, don't add. Boosting frequencies will only get you so far without distortion. 

However, I find it strange that you're using an EQ on your 3590s in the first place. They sound fine per se...to me, that is. Look, no equalizer can do what you want it to do. Boosting frequencies, especially above 8KHz, can and will cause volume shifting because it's a natural compensation for your boost. 

But here's one better question: How are you using the EQ, anyway? Screenshots will be appreciated.

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #26 of 86
  What do you mean by "volume changes"? And why the hell are you using the EQ on WMP? That, and why are you boosting the 16KHz band? Won't that hurt your ears?

Look, I'd really like a better explanation of your "volume changes" because frankly, I'm willing to bet that the phenomenon is simply a natural compensation because of that boost you did. And if you boost frequencies on an EQ, chances are you'll get some wickedly nasty distortion, which is a really bad thing for both your ears and your earphones. Here's a tip for EQing: subtract, don't add. Boosting frequencies will only get you so far without distortion. 

However, I find it strange that you're using an EQ on your 3590s in the first place. They sound fine per se...to me, that is. Look, no equalizer can do what you want it to do. Boosting frequencies, especially above 8KHz, can and will cause volume shifting because it's a natural compensation for your boost. 

But here's one better question: How are you using the EQ, anyway? Screenshots will be appreciated.

By volume changes, I mean that the volume isn't constant through out the song. For instance, vocals sound softer sometimes, and normal at other times.

I boosted the 16Khz band, because that gives them CLEARLY more clarity and naturalness (without becoming overly bright) than without EQ. To me, they sound dark without EQ, and claps sound too harsh. Boosting the 16Khz range helps all this a little bit.

And finally, I used the EQ on WMP, because my onboard, DTS EQ pannel, really f-ing s*cks. Like it's done in a really, really bad way.

Here's the screenshot:

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #27 of 86
  By volume changes, I mean that the volume isn't constant through out the song. For instance, vocals sound softer sometimes, and normal at other times.

I boosted the 16Khz band, because that gives them CLEARLY more clarity and naturalness (without becoming overly bright) than without EQ. To me, they sound dark without EQ, and claps sound too harsh. Boosting the 16Khz range helps all this a little bit.

And finally, I used the EQ on WMP, because my onboard, DTS EQ pannel, really f-ing s*cks. Like it's done in a really, really bad way.

Here's the screenshot:

If you've read my previous post, I mentioned that the best way to equalize is to subtract, not add. What you're doing here is clearly adding, and as such it opens you up to some distortion issues. But like I said, why use Windows Media Player? WMP is crap by all means.

This is what you should do. Instead of raising a frequency above zero, lower all other frequencies below zero instead. That way, you leave some headroom, which prevents distortion. The EQ there is the iTunes default EQ; it's not that good, but it isn't crap either. Probably the best EQ would be Viper4Windows (or Electri-Q if you use Foobar2K).

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #28 of 86
  If you've read my previous post, I mentioned that the best way to equalize is to subtract, not add. What you're doing here is clearly adding, and as such it opens you up to some distortion issues. But like I said, why use Windows Media Player? WMP is crap by all means.

This is what you should do. Instead of raising a frequency above zero, lower all other frequencies below zero instead. That way, you leave some headroom, which prevents distortion. The EQ there is the iTunes default EQ; it's not that good, but it isn't crap either. Probably the best EQ would be Viper4Windows (or Electri-Q if you use Foobar2K).

How can I get that Viper4Windows to work?

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #29 of 86
  How can I get that Viper4Windows to work?

Really? That's all you have to ask me? No details? Did you even get to install the thing?

• First things first, Google it. If you did, you should be able to find this link.
  • Once you're there, just click on the g'd download link.
  • You've downloaded it by now, right? Okay, next you're going to have to install it. Just follow the on-screen instructions until you find the Configurator menu, which should look like this:

What you're seeing there should be the V4W Configurator menu, a menu which you could come back to if you need to. This is where you tell the program which output devices (sound cards, HDMI audio outputs, etc.) you want V4W to be installed. Since from my impression of you, you might find yourself stumped or something like that, it's best to just check all of the boxes just to be safe. It makes it easier to use the EQ no matter what output device you use.
  • Once you've done that, click "OK," then restart the computer to apply your changes. 
  • Once you've restarted, just open the V4W control panel, and you're all set.

• Sound not taking effect? Check your output device settings by right-clicking the speaker panel on the bottom-left corner of the screen, then click "Playback Devices." Now, click on the output devce you're using, then click the "Properties" button. Next, find the "Enhancements" tab, then uncheck the "Disable Enhancements" box. Click "Apply," then give it a spin again. It should work then.

• For more information, as well as a badly-translated manual, look here.

Hope this helps.

Mar 29, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #30 of 86
  Really? That's all you have to ask me? No details? Did you even get to install the thing?

• First things first, Google it. If you did, you should be able to find this link.
  • Once you're there, just click on the g'd download link.
  • You've downloaded it by now, right? Okay, next you're going to have to install it. Just follow the on-screen instructions until you find the Configurator menu, which should look like this:

What you're seeing there should be the V4W Configurator menu, a menu which you could come back to if you need to. This is where you tell the program which output devices (sound cards, HDMI audio outputs, etc.) you want V4W to be installed. Since from my impression of you, you might find yourself stumped or something like that, it's best to just check all of the boxes just to be safe. It makes it easier to use the EQ no matter what output device you use.
  • Once you've done that, click "OK," then restart the computer to apply your changes. 
  • Once you've restarted, just open the V4W control panel, and you're all set.

• Sound not taking effect? Check your output device settings by right-clicking the speaker panel on the bottom-left corner of the screen, then click "Playback Devices." Now, click on the output devce you're using, then click the "Properties" button. Next, find the "Enhancements" tab, then uncheck the "Disable Enhancements" box. Click "Apply," then give it a spin again. It should work then.

• For more information, as well as a badly-translated manual, look here.

Hope this helps.

I was as far as step 6 since I installed it yesterday. But my soundcard doesn't have an Enhancements tab (my previous laptop did, but not this one) and I tried everything, and the program still doesn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back