Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Apr 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #571 of 756
Quote:
Thanks for the long answer! Appreciate it. I was set on the ws99s but then thy went out of stock, then recently the price went to 250. I have the mdr 1rs and I just find the bass a little to mid-bass heavy, and they sound a little congested. I'd like these to perform well with rock/pop/ alternative, and not just hip hop/r&b/techno. Would you mind just putting them in order of which ones you think overall suit a much wider range of music?

Thanks!

If you find the 1R congested then I'd opt for the WS99 or Momentum.  You'll get good vocals for rock/pop and alternative.  Also, it will sound good with hip hop/r&b and techno.  I'd say the WS99's will even be better for all genres.  For me, the WS99's do everything well which I can't say for the rest.  When most of these headphones go for $200+, I think the WS99 is a good bargain.  

I listen to all sorts of music and I have no problems using the M100's either.  For me, the L1 and UE6000 are more of a relaxing type of a headphone.  

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #573 of 756
Echoing DannyBai's thoughts.  If you thought the MDR1 sounded congested you'll probably not like the L1 too much, definitely darker, slightly warmer. 

Sony's are definitely the comfiest headphones I've ever had though, also has better stage than the L1's.  I actually thought the Sony's handled pop quite well, mid bass bloat was slight, but overall pretty clean/tight.  That's just me.

Idk, if OT, but if I did a straight A/B right off, I would probably take the Sony's presentation--but long term, I'd give the edge to the L1.  Sony's sound great and seem pretty universal with genres; however, after an hour or two of straight listening I just feel like everything sounds the same, regardless of genres.  It's probably due to the coloration, but it's kind of weird.

L1's the uniqueness of each song, genre still is well represented/retained, regardless of listening time.

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #575 of 756
When I said congested, I just mean that the soundstage (width) wasn't wide enough. I'm really just looking for some really comfortable cans that can give me some nice bass and still somehow sound good with rock. The ma900s are great, but I don't like the build, and the highs could use some work. I'm also considering the focal spirit one, since people are saying that they got much better in 2013. So I'd say that I do want a warm sound. I myself think I can adjust to many different sound signatures, and can tolerate sibilance. I'm just looking for details, soundstage, and comfort. Would the ws99, or Fideios etc deliver? I'm only considering other options because the ws99s are out of stock on amazon, and I'd hate to buy straight from Japan.

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #576 of 756
Quote:
When I said congested, I just mean that the soundstage (width) wasn't wide enough. I'm really just looking for some really comfortable cans that can give me some nice bass and still somehow sound good with rock. The ma900s are great, but I don't like the build, and the highs could use some work. I'm also considering the focal spirit one, since people are saying that they got much better in 2013. So I'd say that I do want a warm sound. I myself think I can adjust to many different sound signatures, and can tolerate sibilance. I'm just looking for details, soundstage, and comfort. Would the ws99, or Fideios etc deliver? I'm only considering other options because the ws99s are out of stock on amazon, and I'd hate to buy straight from Japan.

Thanks!

The 1R is tough to beat in the stage department so I'm not sure if any of these would suffice.  Are you restricted to only portable cans?  If not, there's always the Philips X1, HE400, etc.  Possibly an open portable can.  Can't really think of any of those off hand.  I'll do some listening to all these cans tonight and compare it to the 1R in stage.  

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #577 of 756
Alrighty thanks! I am restricted to portable cans within the 200-300 price range. I'm probably just thinking that because the mids are so forward that the actual sound is forward. I have some ma900s so I don't really want any open cans.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #578 of 756
Quote:
Alrighty thanks! I am restricted to portable cans within the 200-300 price range. I'm probably just thinking that because the mids are so forward that the actual sound is forward. I have some ma900s so I don't really want any open cans.

If you're looking for stage, the L1 comes the closest to the 1R but doesn't sound wider or deeper in comparison.  I still think the 1R is the stage champ of the bunch.  The vocals aren't pushed as forward with the L1 so this might be a good thing.  The problem I have with the L1 is that the treble sounds thinner than the 1R and less refined.  It's smooth and non-fatiguing though.  I can definitely get use to it.  The L1 has good balance all around also.  It also sounds completely different than the 1R so it'll be nice to have two sets for different occasions.  

As for the other cans, the Momentum might be the best can technically.  Stage sounds a bit closed in compared to the 1R and L1.  I still find the WS99 to be the best all rounder by a small margin based on my preferences.  For me the M100 sounds best with beat driven music and I don't own the UE6000 anymore.  

If the L1 prices are still down, it might be a good option.  

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #580 of 756
Quote:
And what exactly are your preferences? And would I need an amp? All I have is an iPod 4g, galaxy 5, sansa clip zip, and fiio e6.

I like sub-bass over mid-bass.  A nice mix of both is ideal.  The 1R is a bit too mid-bassy.  I like up front vocals but not as forward as the 1R.  I prefer my treble to be more on the relaxed side but don't mind it if it's sparkly as long as there's zero hint of sibilance.

I really love the bass of the M100.  Vocals on the Audio Technica ES700 is beautifully lush.  I don't find the treble of any of these headphones to be of any bother but I think the Momentums are excellently detailed and sparkly and thankfully they are a notch below the point of being harsh.  

The L1's do well with amping but it's unnecessary.  Sounds great and loudness levels are fine out of my iPhone 5.  

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #581 of 756
Ok. I have narrowd it down to the momentum and ws99. I want the l1s but they're sound just isn't really that convincing. I've narrowed it down to just the ws99 and momentum. It seems like this will be more of a toss up so ill choose the more comfortable. My ears are slightly smaller than average, but they stick out, and I hate it when the 1rs drivers touch my ears, so basically my question is how deep are the momentums ear cups?

I may return these ma900s due to build issue; so if you've heard it, how do the hd598s sound?

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #582 of 756
Quote:
Ok. I have narrowd it down to the momentum and ws99. I want the l1s but they're sound just isn't really that convincing. I've narrowed it down to just the ws99 and momentum. It seems like this will be more of a toss up so ill choose the more comfortable. My ears are slightly smaller than average, but they stick out, and I hate it when the 1rs drivers touch my ears, so basically my question is how deep are the momentums ear cups?

I may return these ma900s due to build issue; so if you've heard it, how do the hd598s sound?

I've never heard the MA900 or the HD598's.  The Momentums are very comfortable.  The pads are pretty thick and soft.  The leather is very nice.  The pads are actually quite squishy so your ears might touch the driver.  Cups are not circumaural so it could work.  I take a cotton ball and pull it apart then stuff it into the cups where the ears touch the driver and this alleviates the problem.  I do this with the Momentums actually.  Comfort-wise, the 1R's are hard to beat if your ears aren't touching the driver.  The WS99 pads are not that great and I have yet to find pads that fit that are better than stock.  The Brainwavz HM5 pads are great and fit but makes the headphone ultra ugly.  The L1's are very comfortable and pads are excellent.  I actually listened to them all this evening and when not comparing side by side to other headphones, they are still excellent.  I'd highly recommend them still, especially if the prices are under $200.  

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #585 of 756
'Oh snap' these sound pretty good! The soundstage depth is pretty good for a semi open pair of cans. I think with the bass eq'd down a little, the sound greatly improves.

Very short little impressions, since I've only had them since 6 o'clock yesterday. They've got like 11 hours on em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back