Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Jan 25, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #531 of 756
I love the L1 and despite being a basshead I sometimes thing the bass is a bit too much 
size]

The ATH-ES10 is the only portable I heard so far that was bassier.

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #534 of 756
Quote:
They're not so bass-heavy. Momentums are bassier, and have noticeably more PRaT. That said, the L1 are really excellent cans, and they do go low when needed.

I was not a Momentum fan. They sounded good initially but were just a bit too congested. I like spacious sounding headphones. Some people like to use the word soundstage but I don't think that is actually possible from a headphone. Speakers yes, but there is not a soundstage between your ears. Spacious is more descriptive to me. These being semi open I think should help with that. 

Have you heard the M100s? They do very well with spaciousness. They are bass heavy though.

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #535 of 756
I tend to agree. Momentum are fun, but up to a point, and they can rather easily sound congested with some particular tracks, making the low mids too busy for their own good.
The L1 sound more spacious indeed, more separation between instruments, they're cans you can listen to for hours and still have your ears fresh at the end of the session. Love 'em.
I haven't heard the M100, I don't believe they've made European shores yet (even online).

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #536 of 756
Quote:
Well I just snagged a pair of these for $169USD. I hope they are worth it. Maybe I could send the M100s back I have back to Amazon. I love the M100s but prefer the PSB M4U series in overall sound quality. The PSBs just don't do it for me in portability or fashion. I hate plastic headphones. The M100s are almost there in sound but just lack that overall refinement I am looking for. I am very late to the party with these but that may be a good thing due to the price I paid. I hope they will get me where I want in sound with bass emphasis that doesn't screw with the rest of the spectrum and detail that I like. The looks and build seem to be unquestionable. We will see Monday or Tuesday.

Where did you get them for that cheap? I'm hoping these are a good upgrade/sidegrade/mergegrade from my Uptowns and Jaycars.

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #540 of 756
Got my L1s today. I haven't had them off my head much so I am enjoying them. No break in so if that helps, they will just get better with time. I listen through a Fiio E17 from my Macbook using some ALAC and 256 AAC tracks. As a reference, I have the V-Moda M100s, PSB M4U 1s and Momentums on hand for comparison. Most likely all of these will be going back except 1. If anyone wants a direct comparison on a certain aspect let me know. You'll have a short window though. Most of my comparisons sound wise would be to the M100 and PSBs as they seem to be my favorites. 

As for the L1s, they are very good looking headphones. My favorite of this whole group for sure with a close second going to the Momentums. Comfort its a runaway for the L1s. Much better than any of these with the PSBs being a close second but they are much more bulky feeling on your head. I am surprised at the level of isolation. These are as good as the M100s on isolation. The M100s are on par with the Momentums and the PSBs are the best at isolation.

Just a couple of things I have noted as I listened so far. Right of the bat I will say I really like the approach has taken here. The "semi open" design allows these cans to do things the others just cannot do with very little compromises.

I am hearing what many have said about the dark sound. Its funny though. The M100s have alot more energy and they are more in your face but this gives a false sense of details. I think the L1s are much smoother in response and extend farther. I also can hear the separation/air much better on the L1s. I think detail freaks would not initially like the L1s but after listening to tracks you know very well would begin to understand their signature. The PSBs have less in your face energy than the M100s but also have superior detail. The more I listen to the M100s I am realizing that they are not giving a real picture on the highs. Its an intensified sizzle.

Mids are there, smooth and a bit more upfront than the M100s. I was expecting a bigger difference here as many feel the M100s are recessed. IMO, they are not. Listening to female vocals you can begin to hear how much better the L1s do at portraying the picture. Everyone on the M100 thread say the bass doesn't bleed into the mids. The L1s show they do with bass that is 95% of the M100s in level but stay out of the mids better.

As I said above, the L1s do bass very well. If you consider the M100 a bass heavy can, these are not far behind. I think they do most of the bass a bit better but the M100s seems to get more out of the sub bass area. I really feel the "semi open" design is helping here. That sounds contradictory but I am finding the bass is better due to depth perception. It has more of a sense of realism and a "beyond your ears" feel instead of just being locked inside the headphone cups with the other sets. Its a sensation that is hard to describe but you can hear it well.

One area I think the L1s jump out in front of all the above mentioned headphones is the soundstage/airy department. Let me explain my definition of soundstage for headphones.I may be using this term too loosely as I do not think headphones really have a soundstage. I use that term to mean more of where I am perceiving the sound to be extending beyond my head. Actually a soundstage is a presentation in front of you when listening to speakers. So I will say headphone soundstage, how far beyond my ears and head the sound extends. The air/soundstage is better with the L1s than all of the headphones I have. I don't know if its the angled drivers or the semi open backs. Wide soundstage is supposed to be one of the M100s strong points but I feel the L1 beats it in this area handily. The other great point for me is that even though these are "semi open" as it were, I still think the isolation is great.

So thats all I have for now. I going back to listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back