Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Jul 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #376 of 756
Hi all,

I just got my used Fidelio L1 from the mail. It's beautiful, very nicely put together, looks more expensive than it is. Can't talk about the sound yet, as I am a newbie head-fier and I don't have many headphones to compare, but it sounds promising. Number 918. Thanks for the reviews and comments in this thread that helped me choosing.

Jul 14, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #378 of 756
Quote:
I will get the Z1000 on Monday. Completely useless purchase. Anyway, it's a hobby so it does not always have to make sense.

Is anybody interested in a comparison?

Despite me having both cans, I would like your thoughts... If they're anything like mine, there may be a surprise or two in your findings :)

Jul 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #380 of 756
I am hearing mixed opinions on amping the L1. 

Some people think the L1 must be properly amped and some say it can be driven well by the output found on any regular portable player. Proper amping will, of course, make any decent headphone performs better, but by how much(in the case of the L1)? I am hoping L1 owners can elaborate on this. How big is the difference between an un-amped L1 and a properly amped L1?

Jul 14, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #381 of 756
Don't own one but I think Tyll's measurement shows rather interesting figures:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioL1.pdf

Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.139 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 28 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 0.69 mW

Now compare to something known to work rather well ampless such as

V-Moda M80:

Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.039 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 31 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 0.05 mW

To get things into perspective,

Hifiman HE-500:

Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.310 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 47 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 2.04 mW

LCD-2:

Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.225 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 58 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 0.87 mW

Hifiman HE-400:

Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.129 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 51 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 0.33 mW

Denon D2000:

Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.073 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 24 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 0.22 mW

tl.dr, Tyll's measurement shows a relatively high voltage requirement for something marketed for the more "portable" bracket. However I've had similar experiences with a pair of cheap Philips headphones, they are suprisingly power hungry, maybe it's something typical for them, dunno.

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #383 of 756
Quote:
I will get the Z1000 on Monday. Completely useless purchase. Anyway, it's a hobby so it does not always have to make sense.

I've had both the L1 and the Z1000 for a while. I had planned to keep the one I like better, but ended up selling both. They are good headphones, but I found that both were flawed, just differently. Still, if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the L1.
Interested to hear your thoughts on the two.

Jul 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #384 of 756
I have to say that the L1 sound great when amped well - playing some classic albums right now, and they sound genuinely convincing... much moreso than the Q701s that I was hoping they would compliment (the Q701s sound thin / lifeless by comparison)...

...With this in mind, i'm looking forward to when Philips start rolling out the Fidelio X1 that I've seen mentioned somewhere - judging by these, I think i'll be straight on the pre-order list :D

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #385 of 756
Quote:
I have to say that the L1 sound great when amped well - playing some classic albums right now, and they sound genuinely convincing... much moreso than the Q701s that I was hoping they would compliment (the Q701s sound thin / lifeless by comparison)...

That's because the L1 bloats the bottom end somewhat. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #386 of 756
Is there any place to buy these other than the Apple Store in the US?  I hate paying retail price for anything and I'm not a fan of Apple so I try to avoid their stores but it seems they are the only store to offer them. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #387 of 756
Quote:
Is there any place to buy these other than the Apple Store in the US?  I hate paying retail price for anything and I'm not a fan of Apple so I try to avoid there stores but it seems they are the only store to offer them. 

As far as I'm aware (I'd be happy to be wrong on this though) that's still the only way to get them for now.

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #388 of 756
Quote:
Interested to hear your thoughts on the two.

To make this a fair comparison, I also ordered a FiiO E17 and Corda Rock head amp. Actually, I also told my sister to bring me a UHA-6s.MKII from the States, but she's ignoring my request for days now. But we will see.

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #389 of 756
Hello All!

I usually post in the Portable cans section, but I just wanted to add my name to the new owner list. I just received my pair this afternoon (ordered from Apple online), Edition No. 02131. These are easily the most handsome, rugged headphones I've ever owned (not saying much compared to many of you guys here), being that my only other full sized cans are my beloved HD-580s and my ancient AKG K-240s. I have to say that I like what I'm hearing from these. Definitely have to get used to the differences between these and the 580s though. 

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #390 of 756
I've been using my L1s' for about a week now, and they sound very good. I found out that the ear pads are NOT user replaceable however. Not a deal breaker or anything like that for me because I do enjoy the sound, I just think that I will be getting a lot of use out of these cans, and might have to send them in to have them re-cushioned at some point after the initial warranty. I'm hoping this "memory foam" holds up well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back