[REVIEW] Phiaton PS20
Jan 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #16 of 24
Thanks so much for all the reviews you put out!  I'm pretty new to the more high-end headphone scene and got some Brainwavz m4s recently that just blew my mind, after reading through pretty much every review on the multi-iem review.  I want something with less isolation, though, to use at work, so I'm trying to decide between these and the 210s.

I'm not an audiophile, but I am a musician and I really like the ability to pick out different instruments, so I like a lot of clarity.  At the same time I do like bass, just not so much that it overpowers everything else.  I listen to a huge variety of music from electronic to metal to acoustic, so having really versatile headphones is important to me.

Knowing all that, would you recommend the 210s or the 20s?  There's only a twenty buck difference in price on amazon, so it's not a huge deal choosing one or the other.

Thanks!

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #17 of 24
Based on your preference, I think you would most likely prefer PS210 over PS20. For PS210, you can use Comply foam tips to add a little bit more warmth (check out my PS210 review for more detail)

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #18 of 24
Thanks for the response!  I read through that review (thanks for that as well) and it answered all my questions.  And good call on the foam tips, I'll certainly give that a shot after the 210s arrive.

Thanks again.

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #19 of 24
I just wanted to thank you for the recommendation.  I've been using them for a week or so now and really like the 210s.  The mids are a little more pronounced than I like, but it's not a big deal at all.  The highs are still quite clear and the bass is right where I like it, present but not fatiguing at all to listen to for long stretches.

What's really struck me is how comfortable these are!  I'm using the sony hybrid tips right now and with normal IEMs I need to use the medium to get a tight seal, and after long listening sessions it can become uncomfortable.

Because of the design of these I use the small tips and that combined with the fact that most of the weight is resting on the outside of your ear canal makes them incredibly comfortable, to the point that they almost disappear, and I use them about six hours a day while I'm sitting at my desk at work (the other two hours of the work day is spent in meetings and such), so it's not some small amount.  Plus now people can talk to me and I hear them with the headphones in, so they don't have to tap my shoulder to get my attention.

The other thing that stands out is how sturdy they feel.  Over all well worth the price, I think!  Now I'm just trying to decide whether a small amp would help things out a little (listening to poor sources like my phone or some laptops is really highlighted more than I'm used to with these).  I'm thinking something like a Fiio E6.  Do you think that would make a difference at all with these buds or is it not really worth it?

Thanks!

Quote:
Based on your preference, I think you would most likely prefer PS210 over PS20. For PS210, you can use Comply foam tips to add a little bit more warmth (check out my PS210 review for more detail)

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile357 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... I'm thinking something like a Fiio E6.  Do you think that would make a difference at all with these buds or is it not really worth it

Thanks!

Glad you like it so far. Getting an E6 won't really improve the technical ability of the IEM as it is very easy to drive. But you might like the EQ on the E6 better. The bass boost should be quite useful to PS210.

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #21 of 24
Nice review there! thumbs up!
though im still left with one question.. perhaps not a very appropriate one, how those are in compared to blox anv3se? unfortunatly i had to return mine due to a defect and got refunded since
they still dont have a date for new ones... so im beggining to think in other directions. please help :D

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:
Nice review there! thumbs up!
though im still left with one question.. perhaps not a very appropriate one, how those are in compared to blox anv3se? unfortunatly i had to return mine due to a defect and got refunded since
they still dont have a date for new ones... so im beggining to think in other directions. please help :D

Don't have the ANV3 SE, but I have the ANV3. I prefer the ANV3 because of its openness and effortlessness. PS20 sounds more forwarded and congested in comparison. It is kind of difficult to compare IEM and earbuds as earbuds will almost always be better at openness. It is even more difficult to move on as Blox does make some of the best earbuds around. You will need to get something on the upper tier in the IEM world to match it.

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #24 of 24
What other iems or earbuds are made that sound like the ps20's?. I Like the warm and articulate sound they produce, just can't get my hands on any since they're discontinued. In the 120- price range..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back