REVIEW: Perfect Sound d901 dido . . . Calling All Bassheads, your unicorn awaits!
Nov 24, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #16 of 37

Yeah man, you've been busy!  How's the East Coast right now?  Brrrrr I would think, very brrr indeed! 
smile.gif

It was actually not as cold as I thought it would be as the temps hovered from 30 to 50F... the bad thing is usually the Wind... But of course I'm from the Caribbean so anything less than 65F can be easily felt. But I like cold weather! (I just hate snow!) Thankfully I'm back home because I saw that the temperatures today were in their 20s LOL!!!

Quote:

Sadly, that first point may be an issue.  
frown.gif
  It's due to the low clamping force and fit.  I've asked other people to try it on, and those with larger (wider) heads seem to have no issues with isolation fit or creaking.

As for number two, yeah that definitely doesn't sound right.  You're under warranty right?  Should be... I think you got yours in early Summer.  Hold on, looking through business cards... got it!  Contact Patty Chou over at Perfect Sound (patty@perfect-sound.com.tw) about that.  Not sure she's the right person for service issues, but she'd probably be able to connect you with the right person.

And as for number three, I'm curious about that myself.  I tried pulling off the pad once but stopped when I hit too much resistance.  Lemme try again and get back to you on that.

Ha!  Is that a challenge I smell?  I haven't heard the Sig DJ yet so I can't say, though I certainly wouldn't mind checking it out.  Lemme see if anyone in the Audio360 crew can get one in-house for evaluation.

Yeah, I have a long-ish face, not quite round so everytime I move hard or something I hear the creaks or "knocks" as Mike says. 
Regarding the "balance", I'm listening to them right now and cannot detect, so it may be specific tracks or my mind playing tricks.

Pads are NOT replaceable.
I had contacted Perfect Sound about that a while ago and they responded with:

"Thank you for your mail.
Actually our headphone ear pad is not changeable or replaceable.
May I know where you purchased our headphone d901?"

Cheryl was the one who corresponded with me but James and Patty were "CC'ed" on the email exchanges.

AHA!!  
beyersmile.png

Admittedly, this was equal parts swagger on BOTH sides!!

Thanks for the compliment!  We knew we were taking a chance (one commenter, a dealer, on the site, had an issue with our language): we're trying to offer up new ways to review components,
and your kind words mean a ALOT to me.

You've got a solid point on the "creaks"!  In this case its more like knocks and clicks, so they feel strong and industrial,
but I can see how that would be a turn-off.
Right?
When these arrived and I put my hands on them I knew I was in for a treat!!
Thanks! We've been diggin these cans for awhile now and had alot of fun!

You should keep your reviews just like that! We don't want another 6moons nor Tyll styled reviews. Not that they are bad (Tyll's are not, for 6moons I usually keep a thesaurus around!) but just a different more "fun" tone to the writing. 

Wonder if these or Ultrasone Signature DJs would be my personal holy grail, I'm a basshead, I demand a good bit of bass, actually if we quantitize it roughly around 8-10dB (peak) boost depending on the headphone a bit. I demand both midbass and subbass, ideally from testing various headphones and been very very satisfied with how Q40 outputs bass, it seems I ideally want the bass peak around 80Hz (what I consider the barrier between sub and midbass) to get similar amount of midbass and subbass presence. I like punchy, impactful, textured and averagely fast bass (not ultra snappy or ultra slow but rather ultra snappy than ultra slow). 

Now I do care a lot also for the rest of the sound but being a basshead, it doesn't matter how beautifully the rest is done if bass is not there as well. Having said that I find it extremely picky to have a balanced mids and highs presence, I want a natural timbre, not too cold/harsh but also not too warm/smooth, I'm looking for what sounds natural there, in how I'd expect the music to sound live, I love the digiZoid ZO2.1's amp because it makes the mids very fullbodied and thick/organic why I ideally probably need tiiiiiny bit of U-shape to get a balanced end result. These seem to be a great candidate BUT Signature DJs also perfectly fit this description as well so it's very tough choice.

Besides those aspects I'm also allergic against things like creeking when moving my head (when I get in the groove with the music, hardstyle, I might very well start nodding/headbanging along with the music and then a creeking sound would definitely impact the experience a little bit). Another aspect sound wise I've had much issues with in various headphones (but not Q40) is resonating upper-midfrequencies especially around 2 - 3.5kHz range which makes female vocals distort, I hate that "nasalness" due to the reverb/resonating frequencies which make them seem much louder. Good thing they also offer black version as the white one would quickly turn yellow for me with the hrs I wear headphones daily.

Would be cool with a Dido vs Ultrasone Signature DJs battle to find out that that more "extreme" basshead champ headphone. I'm thinking it will be a very fierce balanced fight. From measurements the Ultrasone Signature DJs measure a 8dB peaked bass boost centered around 80Hz which looks good for my personal taste. :) Would be cool to find a FR measurement on the Didos for comparison and easier deciding.

Hey RPG.
The Dido's have more "up-front" highs when compared to the Sig DJs but not by much. Imaging is actually VERY VERY good on the Dido's and some people might prefer them over the Sig DJs. I actually do prefer them IF the music is NOT so bassy, why?, because with bassy tracks I feel that the sound gets a bit congested, especially in the mids, something that doesn't happen with the Sig DJs. Example of a genre I enjoy on the Didos over the Sig DJs:

Overall, both are detailed, both bring big bass BUT the Dido's actually provide a bit more Sub-bass and more slam. Basically I feel that in a straight-up compare, the Sig DJs are more "balanced" than the Dido's. I personally enjoy both and that's the only reason I haven't sold my Perfect Sound headphones. Now as for which ones you'd prefer, I think you'll enjoy the Sig DJs more than the Dido's based on your preferences and your love for the M-Audio Q40s. :wink:

Our good friend gelocks has both in his possession..........

:wink:

As Chris Rock says, "A man is only as faithful as his options." [In this case, only speaking of headphones]

Ha! Love me some Chris Rock!

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #17 of 37
That input doesn't quite make it easier for me haha but thanks for your response, I'm especially interesting in which you find more forward in the mids.

There's not much measurements to base on but at least there's the golden ears Q40 measurement and Signature DJ measurement (although totally different reviews but their algorithms in how they present the data seems to be the similar:

From this comparison the Signature DJs look somewhat more U-shaped which worries me a bit. The basscurve looks yummy on Signature DJs though for my taste, it both has the basscurve shape I'm looking for and the quantity! I am looking for more in your face mids, especially vocals. (the above music you linked to sounded very nice for me too, from imaging point of view even on the Q40, loved the mids, the vocals wasn't so much in focus but the instruments sounded very up-front). I also like to feel the bass, which Q40 does particularly well at.

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #18 of 37
  That input doesn't quite make it easier for me haha but thanks for your response, I'm especially interesting in which you find more forward in the mids.

Hahaha Sorry about that! LOL
To my ears the Dido's are more up-front with regards to mids (upper-mids/treble), these really are energetic without crossing into the "ear-piercing" category.
The Sig DJs to me are, again, more balanced and you can in fact call it "U-shaped" but not Denon D5000 U-shaped... (mids are more prominent than on the D5000).

BTW, Warren and Mike, I found what was causing the balance issue and I had it written on my notes here at work as a "con"... these headphones are VERY VERY sensitive!! The issue was that I use the Schiit Magni at work and this little Schiit does produce a lot of power for its size (that's what she said!... yeah couldn't help myself...)  Well, thing is that at lower levels of the volume pot, the Magni is the one introducing the issue and really at 9 o'clock I already find the Dido's loud enough for me... so that's that. Straight from the FiiO X3, or my Lehman BCL (0.0db gain setting), they don't have this issue.

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #19 of 37

Hahaha Sorry about that! LOL
To my ears the Dido's are more up-front with regards to mids (upper-mids/treble), these really are energetic without crossing into the "ear-piercing" category.
The Sig DJs to me are, again, more balanced and you can in fact call it "U-shaped" but not Denon D5000 U-shaped... (mids are more prominent than on the D5000).

BTW, Warren and Mike, I found what was causing the balance issue and I had it written on my notes here at work as a "con"... these headphones are VERY VERY sensitive!! The issue was that I use the Schiit Magni at work and this little Schiit does produce a lot of power for its size (that's what she said!... yeah couldn't help myself...)  Well, thing is that at lower levels of the volume pot, the Magni is the one introducing the issue and really at 9 o'clock I already find the Dido's loud enough for me... so that's that. Straight from the FiiO X3, or my Lehman BCL (0.0db gain setting), they don't have this issue.

Glad to hear the Dido's don't have the issue!
@warrenpchi and I were just talkin about these thunderous cans!!

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #20 of 37

It was actually not as cold as I thought it would be as the temps hovered from 30 to 50F... the bad thing is usually the Wind... But of course I'm from the Caribbean so anything less than 65F can be easily felt. But I like cold weather! (I just hate snow!) Thankfully I'm back home because I saw that the temperatures today were in their 20s LOL!!!

Quote:

Sadly, that first point may be an issue.  
frown.gif
  It's due to the low clamping force and fit.  I've asked other people to try it on, and those with larger (wider) heads seem to have no issues with isolation fit or creaking.

As for number two, yeah that definitely doesn't sound right.  You're under warranty right?  Should be... I think you got yours in early Summer.  Hold on, looking through business cards... got it!  Contact Patty Chou over at Perfect Sound (patty@perfect-sound.com.tw) about that.  Not sure she's the right person for service issues, but she'd probably be able to connect you with the right person.

And as for number three, I'm curious about that myself.  I tried pulling off the pad once but stopped when I hit too much resistance.  Lemme try again and get back to you on that.

Ha!  Is that a challenge I smell?  I haven't heard the Sig DJ yet so I can't say, though I certainly wouldn't mind checking it out.  Lemme see if anyone in the Audio360 crew can get one in-house for evaluation.

Yeah, I have a long-ish face, not quite round so everytime I move hard or something I hear the creaks or "knocks" as Mike says. 
Regarding the "balance", I'm listening to them right now and cannot detect, so it may be specific tracks or my mind playing tricks.

I had contacted Perfect Sound about that a while ago and they responded with:

"Thank you for your mail.
Actually our headphone ear pad is not changeable or replaceable.
May I know where you purchased our headphone d901?"

Cheryl was the one who corresponded with me but James and Patty were "CC'ed" on the email exchanges.

You should keep your reviews just like that! We don't want another 6moons nor Tyll styled reviews. Not that they are bad (Tyll's are not, for 6moons I usually keep a thesaurus around!) but just a different more "fun" tone to the writing. 

Hey RPG.
The Dido's have more "up-front" highs when compared to the Sig DJs but not by much. Imaging is actually VERY VERY good on the Dido's and some people might prefer them over the Sig DJs. I actually do prefer them IF the music is NOT so bassy, why?, because with bassy tracks I feel that the sound gets a bit congested, especially in the mids, something that doesn't happen with the Sig DJs. Example of a genre I enjoy on the Didos over the Sig DJs:

Overall, both are detailed, both bring big bass BUT the Dido's actually provide a bit more Sub-bass and more slam. Basically I feel that in a straight-up compare, the Sig DJs are more "balanced" than the Dido's. I personally enjoy both and that's the only reason I haven't sold my Perfect Sound headphones. Now as for which ones you'd prefer, I think you'll enjoy the Sig DJs more than the Dido's based on your preferences and your love for the M-Audio Q40s. :wink:

:wink:

Ha! Love me some Chris Rock!

That's precisely what we're aiming for!
SO psyched to read this comment.  You made my night.

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #21 of 37

Generally I don’t learn article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do so! Your writing taste has been amazed me.

AWESOME!!!
your kind words are greatly appreciated!!

sorry for the multiple responses guys (as opposed to getting em all in one post)
I'm workin off my father-in-laws ancient laptop!!

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #22 of 37
I also liked your writing style, it made me exceptionally curious to read through it somehow.

I'm still on the fence regarding the headphones. I don't think I could stand the "rattling" when moving the headphone, to me it would quickly become an annoyance. Also I'm not perfectly sure reading some other reviews that the bass is what I want, seems they are somewhat more deeper bass focused. Some person commented them as lacking "punch/impact". I'm not into "wroooom-wrooooom" sounding bass but more "tow-tow, boom-boom", ie. not too subbass focused, it has to be good balance between sub and midbass.

Then again Ultrasone Signature DJs probably don't perfectly match my taste either, Anakchan commented them as having more U-shape response than V-Moda M100...

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #23 of 37
  I also liked your writing style, it made me exceptionally curious to read through it somehow.

I'm still on the fence regarding the headphones. I don't think I could stand the "rattling" when moving the headphone, to me it would quickly become an annoyance. Also I'm not perfectly sure reading some other reviews that the bass is what I want, seems they are somewhat more deeper bass focused. Some person commented them as lacking "punch/impact". I'm not into "wroooom-wrooooom" sounding bass but more "tow-tow, boom-boom", ie. not too subbass focused, it has to be good balance between sub and midbass.

Then again Ultrasone Signature DJs probably don't perfectly match my taste either, Anakchan commented them as having more U-shape response than V-Moda M100...

Thank you!
and yes - judging by what you said - the Dido's may not be a good match for you.

What are you looking for in a new set of cans????

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #24 of 37
What I'm looking for? Something that doesn't probably exist. xD

Bass

Shortly explained it would be:

Ultrasone Signature DJ's bass curve! The Ultrasone Pro 900 and M-Audio Q40 also does extremely well. It has the quantity and shape I'm looking for, a ~80Hz centered bass boost (because I see it like the center between sub and midbass to get equal much on both sides) of roughly 8-10dB boost depending on bass quality a bit that rolls off down deep and in the upper range starts to roll off at least by 200Hz. From my experience a more peaky instead of linear curve helps to get the bass I like, the impactful punchy type. I want it to pound, not just rumble. It shouldn't be either too slow or too fast, something in-between, rather slightly on the faster side than slow side though.

Soundstage

Soundstage size isn't uberimportant, M-Audio Q40 that I got now is on the smaller side for sure so would be cool to have slightly bigger but I don't necessarily need very big, just a slight increase especially sideways would be cool already. What's more important though is that the soundstage is projected more "in-your-face" or the 1st row experience, I want to feel like I'm in the center of the music, not like it would be coming from a stage in front of me/from a distance, I'd rather feel like I'm ON the stage because to me it brings more engagement listening and I'm all for engaging music experience, the one that makes you tap your feet, sing along etc. I believe the key ingredient here is a non-recessed midrange.

Mids & highs

One of the key ingredients for me is balanced mids and highs presence, I want a bass boost with well balanced mids & highs range, "^--" shape. Currently it seems if only strictly looking at basshead headphones, the Q40 does exceptionally well here no matter the price (an impressively shy ~$120 USD street price in this case):

So my goal here is natural timbre, not warm, not cold, just natural. I've slightly modded my Q40's pads and swapped stock cable at which I feel I further managed to improve the balance, the highs peak around 9kHz sounds like it's gone (probably burn-in helped slightly as well). Actually the ZO2.1 amp also helps slightly, it has a slight warm sound, rolling off the highs very gently. I'm looking for a similar balance but I'd want better extended highs for more air, that's also a weakness of Q40, it starts to heavily roll-off in the highs already after like 14kHz...

Other various factors that play a role...

I hate creeking sounds since I listen mostly to EDM music (hardstyle in particular) and when I do if I start nodding my head along the music I don't want it obstruct the listening. I'm also somewhat sensitive to resonance peaks in the upper-mid range that colors female vocals. I'm not talking about sibilance sound but a certain excess nasal tone that shouldn't exist and gets more emphasized in some headphones. I hear this issue in a lot of closed headphones but Q40 again handles this very well. Isolation is quite important but not a deal breaker, still I'd greatly prefer at least ~11dBA of isolation (I consider ~12dBA roughly avg for closed headphone and ~15dBA fantastic).

I'm not picky about comfort, if I find the headphone that has the sound I'm looking for, comfort will be least of my worries! xD Budget anything up to $1000.

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #25 of 37
Oh man, I could not get around to liking these cans. We actually had a demo in-store, and it generated no interest in customers because of the price tag, so it was returned to the manufacturer.

I had a customer say it sounds like a somewhat decently EQ'd Beats Pro... and I kind of agree 
redface.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #26 of 37
  Oh man, I could not get around to liking these cans. We actually had a demo in-store, and it generated no interest in customers because of the price tag, so it was returned to the manufacturer.

I had a customer say it sounds like a somewhat decently EQ'd Beats Pro... and I kind of agree 
redface.gif

LOL... the style is similar as well so... I guess that's exactly what Perfect Sound was aiming for...

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #27 of 37

That's precisely what we're aiming for!
SO psyched to read this comment.  You made my night.

Thanks! :wink:
Just remember that this is... well... the internet. You'll definitely have more vocal people either dismissing your reviews, not liking them, etc. than people that do like them. I think the "audiophile" world NEEDS reviews like yours to keep everyone grounded. So keep 'em coming, there are too many new (and old) headphones out there!! :p

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #28 of 37
  Generally I don’t learn article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do so! Your writing taste has been amazed me.

Thanks najeeb! 
smile.gif

Great review. I was all excited for them and then i saw that $800 price tag.

No thanks
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I think that's going to be the biggest hurdle for them.  The problem here is that, once you get to the $700~$800 price range, you're flanked by the Alpha Dog on one side and the TH600 on the other.  Granted that the Perfect Sound looks far more hipster than either of those, but do looks matter that much?  Well, depends on the wearer I guess.

Actually, I supposed it's fair to say that looks do matter.  Appearance will never trump performance, but let's be honest in that the look of something (something we would wear in the presence of others) does matter.  And they are trying to address that.

Here's the most interesting thing - to me - about the design intent behind these headphones:  they clearly wanted it to be portable.  Do I think there are superior sounding headphones for the money?  Obvious answer is obvious.  Are those other headphones ones that I would wear outdoors?  Probably not.  Open headphones would stay at home, which only leaves closed headphones.  And for fear of damaging either and Alpha Dog or a TH600, I'd probably wind up leaving them at home (or in the office) anyway.

So here is what they built:  a portable full-sized circumaural headphone for those that don't want IEMs (because they can't stand something in their ear), and who also don't want supraaural headphones (probably because of comfort or the wearing of corrective vision devices).  Okay, I totally get it.  It's not a large market they're going after.  But there are people out there for whom this would be a great fit.

The price of this is an elevated bass shelf.  Fortunately, and I hope Mike and I have conveyed this in the review, it really is a bass shelf.  Take away that pronounced LF respons with some basic EQing or bass reduction, and what remains is far more balanced than most bassy cans, and relatively un-muddy.

Wonder if these or Ultrasone Signature DJs would be my personal holy grail, I'm a basshead, I demand a good bit of bass, actually if we quantitize it roughly around 8-10dB (peak) boost depending on the headphone a bit. I demand both midbass and subbass, ideally from testing various headphones and been very very satisfied with how Q40 outputs bass, it seems I ideally want the bass peak around 80Hz (what I consider the barrier between sub and midbass) to get similar amount of midbass and subbass presence. I like punchy, impactful, textured and averagely fast bass (not ultra snappy or ultra slow but rather ultra snappy than ultra slow).

This part is a little tricky.  In it's current form, I think the d901 will probably meet your requirements for a mid-bass spike.  But I found sub-bass to be less than the pinnacle of what is out there.  Is it possible that I would have perceived more sub-bass had the mid-bass not been so prominent?  Maybe.  But as is, I would have to say that sub-bass is not its strongest suit... at least not down in the 40~50 Hz region.  It's aight, I'm just saying that it's not a sub-bass monster per se.

Now I do care a lot also for the rest of the sound but being a basshead, it doesn't matter how beautifully the rest is done if bass is not there as well. Having said that I find it extremely picky to have a balanced mids and highs presence, I want a natural timbre, not too cold/harsh but also not too warm/smooth, I'm looking for what sounds natural there, in how I'd expect the music to sound live, I love the digiZoid ZO2.1's amp because it makes the mids very fullbodied and thick/organic why I ideally probably need tiiiiiny bit of U-shape to get a balanced end result. These seem to be a great candidate BUT Signature DJs also perfectly fit this description as well so it's very tough choice.

This is where I think you might find the d901 very rewarding.  Again, tame the mid-bass a couple of dB, and I think you'll find what you're looking for in both the mids, upper mids, and highs.  They are neither cold/harsh, nor warm/smooth.  I would love to know what you think of them if you ever get to hear them.  Maybe we could beseech Perfect Sound to send a unit on tour?  You know who's impressions I want to hear about this?  Romy's.  I would love to have her get way philosophical about this unit!

Good thing they also offer black version as the white one would quickly turn yellow for me with the hrs I wear headphones daily.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking... though I must admit that the white one looks better - at least in it virginal state.

Would be cool with a Dido vs Ultrasone Signature DJs battle to find out that that more "extreme" basshead champ headphone. I'm thinking it will be a very fierce balanced fight.

Our good friend gelocks has both in his possession..........

gelocks, Y U NO FINISH UR REVIEW?! 
biggrin.gif
  Do a deathmatch!

Yeah man, you've been busy!  How's the East Coast right now?  Brrrrr I would think, very brrr indeed! 
smile.gif

76ºF here in SoCal today. 
smile.gif

frown.gif

AHA!!  
beyersmile.png

Admittedly, this was equal parts swagger on BOTH sides!!

Thanks for the compliment!  We knew we were taking a chance (one commenter, a dealer, on the site, had an issue with our language): we're trying to offer up new ways to review components, and your kind words mean a ALOT to me.

Thanks! 
smile.gif
  TBH, every review over at Audio360 is going to be very different from the next.  Because we have multi-viewpoint reviews, each one will always be a reflection of its constituent reviewers.  Some of us are raucous.  Some of are dry.  Some of us fluctuate and are wildly unpredictable.  Its going to be a potluck each time.  But no, it will not be like 6moons for sure.  And as for Tyll, he's busy, but always welcome to special guest star if he likes.  That would actually be pretty fun now that I think about it.

You have a BCL?  What are you doing listening to the Magni then?  But yes, I agree with the sensitivity on these.  Actually, you know what I'd love to try?  Modding these.  I can't get inside the metal casing, but since it does have the two jacks, I'm curious as to what these would be like in balanced mode.

Just remember that this is... well... the internet. You'll definitely have more vocal people either dismissing your reviews, not liking them, etc. than people that do like them. I think the "audiophile" world NEEDS reviews like yours to keep everyone grounded. So keep 'em coming, there are too many new (and old) headphones out there!! :p

We're about to do another roundtable... and this next one is going to be epic.
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #29 of 37

This MADE MY NIGHT.

and inspired my next OCCUPY HI-FI piece!!

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #30 of 37

Users who are viewing this thread

Back