REVIEW: Ostry KC06
Jul 1, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #2,161 of 2,536
Got these and I quite like them, they sound just as measured by Tyll, fairly neutral.The flaws are the lack of subbass and sibilance. But I got solutions for both.

First off while the midbass levels are nice on these the bass just felt damped and cut at the lowest tends. From my experience with vent modding I decided to fiddle with both vents.
Simply put blocking the top vent reduces bass and blocking the nozzle vent increases bass, especially subbass. I have covered both vents and placed a pinhole on each and the bass is way better than stock IMO. Treble also seems to change but not quite sure yet, seems less sibilant

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #2,162 of 2,536
  Simply put blocking the top vent reduces bass and blocking the nozzle vent increases bass, especially subbass. I have covered both vents and placed a pinhole on each and the bass is way better than stock IMO. Treble also seems to change but not quite sure yet, seems less sibilant

That's sort of what James did, I think.

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #2,163 of 2,536
I'm a treble dude.  Wasn't too thrilled with the treble with the Tenores as it sounded smooth to me.  Clarity was good though, but there are QC issues with them as some people are reporting driver degrading, and bass level inconsistancies, and I personally think my drivers degraded over time(I recognize brain burn-in, and this time I don't think it was it).  

I'm curious how the treble is on the Ostray, if it has a good palette?  Not leaving out really thin, micro to nano details?

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #2,164 of 2,536
Got these and I quite like them, they sound just as measured by Tyll, fairly neutral.The flaws are the lack of subbass and sibilance. But I got solutions for both.

First off while the midbass levels are nice on these the bass just felt damped and cut at the lowest tends. From my experience with vent modding I decided to fiddle with both vents.

Only thing I didn't like about the Ostry was the low end. Are you planing to acquire some KC06A's as well inks?

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #2,165 of 2,536
I'm a treble dude.  Wasn't too thrilled with the treble with the Tenores as it sounded smooth to me.  Clarity was good though, but there are QC issues with them as some people are reporting driver degrading, and bass level inconsistancies, and I personally think my drivers degraded over time(I recognize brain burn-in, and this time I don't think it was it).  

I'm curious how the treble is on the Ostray, if it has a good palette?  Not leaving out really thin, micro to nano details?

I also found the Tenore smoother up top then I would otherwise look for. However, and as you've noted, clarity was good and I was adjusting quite nicely VS my GR07 BE.

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #2,166 of 2,536

Just tried this and yes, bass seems better by a fair amount actually, nice improvement

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #2,168 of 2,536
  Holy ****, sometimes I'm really surprised at how lovely the Ostry KC06 can sound, they pretty much have an ideal tonality (aside from the lack of subbass)

Ostry should release a higher tier IEM around $200-$300, I'd be the first to preorder

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #2,175 of 2,536
  Just got the Tenores. Haven't spent enough time with them, but they seem too bassy and not very neutral at first.

Oohhhh, controversy - don't post that in the Tenore thread, they'll gang up on you mercilessly :p

...but seriously, heard there was variations between Tenores - some have a bassy pair, some have a more neutral pair etc. QC kinda sucks over at Zero Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back