REVIEW: Ostry KC06
Jun 14, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #2,134 of 2,536
So I go these earlier today, not really meeting my expectation on day 1.

First thing I will say is that i have very little IEM experience, The prior IEM's I had to these were Sony MDR-EX210B (http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=headfiorg-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FSony-MDR-EX210B-BLK-Earbud-Headphones%2Fdp%2FB007BY3PBE%2Fref%3Dsr_1_2%3Fie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1402717105%26sr%3D8-2%26keywords%3Dsony%2Bmdr%2Bex210) and I got them for $15 on sale at a target.

They broke and I needed a new replacement to use at a gym and for HD Radio (300 Kbps).

I got these as my 1st real IEMs but they have been disappointing me so far. The mids are great to my ears but thats where it starts and ends. Both female and male vocals have their moments and are generally really good. The bass is just enough for me and about what I expected. The issue comes up with the highs..... I just don't feel them, they aren't here. All my music loses that certain "sparkle" that I am used to and it is making everything sound really... boring. They are very clear compared to my old ones but that jsut isn't enough to sound great.

Do I just need time to adjust? Do these not fit the music I listen to? Sound signature? I expected much more from reading all the reviews on them.

I'll be giving these a thorough listening for the next few days but I don't see myself keeping them as of now.

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #2,135 of 2,536
Try using the wide tips, if that's not enough then I suggest looking for another IEM. I personally am waiting for high enhanced version of KC06 from Ostry (hopefully they're making them).

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #2,139 of 2,536
Folks, after 2-3 weeks (lost count) of listening to Zero Audio Tenore I have returned to the Ostry KC06 as of this morning.  There was a period last week when I began to fear that I had over embellished my memories of what KC06 sounded like, but within minutes my memories were confirmed.  KC06 are my preferred sound signature and IEM. 

However -- I don't think KC06 is for everyone.  To me it's not an IEM for the masses.  Tenore are warmer and potentially more "fun" sounding which in my opinion are things that the general public tend to prefer. 

First things that jumped out at me personally after brain burn in of Tenores:

1) The bass hits harder with KC06's than with Tenore.  But I think Tenore's have a warm signature so it's hard to explain this.  Perhaps someone can fill me in on the proper audiophile terminology, but the best way I can describe this is that KC06's bass is like staccato, while Tenore's bass is legato.  I notice this particular with kick drum. 

2) Mids -- vocals/acoustic guitar ohhh my goodness.  If this is your thing, buy KC06.  Oh Ostry's how I have missed you. 

3) Isolation is piss poor on the KC06 and the cabling sucks.  Even if you employ the over/under way of winding up the cables, the memory plastic makes them terrible.  They're flopping around this way and that.  There's no way around this that I can think of.  It's quite unfortunate.

I played these albums extensively during my 3-week Tenore brain burn in.  I tried to cover an assortment of genres:
Kelly Clarkson - Greatest Hits
Coldplay - Ghost Stories
Chromeo - White Women
Imagine Dragons - Night Visions
Iggy Azalea - The New Classic

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #2,140 of 2,536
Oh gosh, when I first read that I thought you wrote that you'd returned the Ostrys. Good to know that's not the case.

I wonder if the cables are different between the originals and the A variant. While I would say the cable on my KC06As is what I like the least about them, they are not actually THAT bad. IMO. Is it because of no chin slider? It's really easy to make one for yourself - I mean, a lot of cables just have a piece of shrink wrap for that job. I use a small piece of Velcro that the Ostrys came with and wrap it around the cables above the y-split. It stays in place like any other chin slider would using tension. I also figure you could use a cable tie, but I didn't want something that might be difficult to take off.

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #2,141 of 2,536
For me a week later the kc06a and its cables is still a giant pain in the rear, it has barely straightened out the kinks in itself and pretty much looks the same as when I got them.

The vanilla kc06 that I got from mochill on the other hand have been great and kink free and super awesome. Both sounding great just may depart with the kc06a soon enough and stick with listening to my new noble 4.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jun 17, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #2,142 of 2,536
For me a week later the kc06a and its cables is still a giant pain in the rear, it has barely straightened out the kinks in itself and pretty much looks the same as when I got them.

The vanilla kc06 that I got from mochill on the other hand have been great and kink free and super awesome. Both sounding great just may depart with the kc06a soon enough and stick with listening to my new noble 4.

Yup. That cable is obnoxious. Rubbery, bouncing little bugger . Seems durable, but I didn't find it to be all that portable or pocket friendly.
How are the Nobles comparing?

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #2,143 of 2,536
Yup. That cable is obnoxious. Rubbery, bouncing little bugger . Seems durable, but I didn't find it to be all that portable or pocket friendly.
How are the Nobles comparing?

The noble 4s are quite amazing, sound signature closer to the kc06, really quite neutral across the spectrum, super detailed, amazing clarity, bass extends very deep. Undeniable they are best iems in my collection. These little guys are a beast and I am very happy with them and with noble audio.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jun 17, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #2,144 of 2,536
I think the word i was looking for was "decay" for the bass.  Is that right?  The bass kind of hangs around for a tiny bit longer for Tenore which create the illusion of a more boomy sound, but I think the quicker bass on KC06 sounds better.  Bass doesn't just hang around in music unless there is an echo/reverb.  

I'll try a DIY chin slider.  But honestly it's not a huge deal.. just something that I've noticed from the beginning.  If I have to pick one thing that I don't like about an iem and it's the cable, then it shows how good these Ostry's are.  

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #2,145 of 2,536
  1) The bass hits harder with KC06's than with Tenore.  But I think Tenore's have a warm signature so it's hard to explain this.  Perhaps someone can fill me in on the proper audiophile terminology, but the best way I can describe this is that KC06's bass is like staccato, while Tenore's bass is legato.  I notice this particular with kick drum. 

I find that the bass hits harder with the Tenore (more punch).  It's possible that the KC06 has tighter bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back