REVIEW: Ostry KC06
May 29, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #2,041 of 2,536
Great assessment. I think the reason soundstage hasn't been such a big factor in my headphone and earphone purchases is because I don't wanna be watching the band on stage, I wanna be the band on stage
smily_headphones1.gif
. Also, larger sound stages seem to come, at least partially, by pushing mids back a little. Forward mids decrease soundstage. The further you get away from a sound, the less of its midrange you hear. At least that's what seems to occur to me.

That's a good point.. interesting perspective/preference for sure.  I think people who actually play instruments will love this sound because it makes you feel like you're right there with them.  Another analogy I thought of:

With Tenore's, you're going to see the band/artist.
With KC06, they come to you.

Just curious which tips are you using?  I'm using the Heir tips from Lunashops, and wear them over ear.  I find I can get a great seal wearing them over and the heir tips are rigid enough that I don't get any vacuum when I push them into my ear. 

May 29, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #2,042 of 2,536
For those who want a used pair, I see that Daveyostrow is selling his for $55 shipped on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00J86LDNU/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_all?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&me=&qid=&seller=&sr=

May 29, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #2,043 of 2,536
Great assessment. I think the reason soundstage hasn't been such a big factor in my headphone and earphone purchases is because I don't wanna be watching the band on stage, I wanna be the band on stage :). Also, larger sound stages seem to come, at least partially, by pushing mids back a little. Forward mids decrease soundstage. The further you get away from a sound, the less of its midrange you hear. At least that's what seems to occur to me.

Yeah it really depend on preference, there's a reason why many people loves Grado house sound. :wink:

May 29, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #2,044 of 2,536
Looking at these after watching the recent Teksyndicate video. I mainly listen to music/watch movies with my earphones while on the bus to work so noise cancellation is a concern for me, even more after searching this thread for "isolation" and seeing the complaints. Is the isolation really that bad? Also, if it is, are there alternative buds that would make the difference or is it a problem with the earphones themselves?

May 29, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #2,045 of 2,536
Isolation is pretty poor, yes. Might have something to do with, at least me, using a shallow fit. Also the bass ports probably leak sound in as well. I think it's just the design, really, though you may find yourself with better isolation using foam tips or using deeper insertion. If isolation is a big priority, I would personally shy away from them. YMMV. 

May 29, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #2,047 of 2,536
For what it's worth, with the Heir tips from Lunashops, I wear these over the ear and the isolation is just fine.  They are not power hungry so the volume is always set under 50% (on my Nexus 4), and I don't hear anything else as I walk around the streets of the financial district in downtown Toronto. 

May 29, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #2,048 of 2,536
Finally on the ostry kc06 train, sounds great. Not very power hungry at all, my dragonfly might give it too much power is what slightly worries me but I won't know till I go home. Using the biggest stock tips and my left ear canal is slightly bigger than my right so getting some seal issues with my left side and such leading to the bass being stronger in my right ear. I'll try some heir tips when I get back home.

Less isolation than the havi b3 but needs less power at the same time. I'll keep listening at work today and post some more impressions later.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
May 29, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #2,050 of 2,536
Oh, sorry, didn't seem to register the tips question before. I'm using Sony Hybrids, but hardly push them in. It feels strange to wear IEMs with shallow insertion, but it weirdly enough seems to give me a better seal. I wear all IEMs over-ear, down gets in the way too much and never feels secure to me.

By Heir tips they're referring to those red-cored tips on Lunashops. Single flange.

May 29, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #2,051 of 2,536
  Which Heir earbud tips is it that you guys are using? The stepped ones or just the normal Small/Medium/Large ones?

Here you go. I'm using the medium ones. http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2334

May 30, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #2,053 of 2,536
Heh, I will give the ostry plenty of burn in my ears 
redface.gif

So been doing some tip rolling and think my favorites have been between the heir small tips, medium sennheiser double flange tips and the hifiman double flanges. Still bit busy with other things but plenty happy with the ostry and the havi for now. Possibly now the only other in ears I am looking forward to are the kc06a and some havi b6.

e. small heir tips not stepped tips

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
May 30, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #2,054 of 2,536
I'm using the medium Heir tips too, single flange. 

I agree it's a bit strange to wear iem's with a shallow insertion, or even just resting outside the canal.  But you can't deny the performance.. these Heir tips are top of the line.  Haven't been able to achieve anything close to the sound they provide.  When you get it just right (cable up), the bass is really deepens nicely.

May 30, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #2,055 of 2,536
  I'm using the medium Heir tips too, single flange. 

I agree it's a bit strange to wear iem's with a shallow insertion, or even just resting outside the canal.  But you can't deny the performance.. these Heir tips are top of the line.  Haven't been able to achieve anything close to the sound they provide.  When you get it just right (cable up), the bass is really deepens nicely.

Im using the large Heir tips and the with shallow insertion. If you are familiar with taobao, you can get them here :

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.9.13.AesCIe&id=17382410277

Users who are viewing this thread

Back