REVIEW: Ostry KC06
Feb 26, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #16 of 2,536
  Nice writeup Zelda.  

Great review! Was a pleasure to read:)

Besides the RE-400, what would you say is the closest IEM it sounds similar to?

H-200? TF-10? DBA-02? RE0? Etc.

Thanks in advance:)

Thanks!

I quite agree with James. The KC06 sounds fuller and fairly more musical. havent listened to the H200 or TF10, but i have the DN-1000. The Dunu's are a step above. but if you have a strong amp, the KC06 might surprise you, specially in the bass dept.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #17 of 2,536
  Because I was curious what the various different versions of the KC06 were, I decided to write to Ostry, and amazingly, they replied back within hours. (Perhaps it was that I wrote them in Chinese, rather than English.)

This was Ostry's reply to me (my translations are in bold):

Very intrigued about the KC06A version. might get a pair to compare both

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #18 of 2,536
Very nice review Zelda.

Having bought the Xiaomi Pistons recently, how would you compare them with the Ostry's? I've bought the Piston's too, and liked them quite a bit. But I find them just a bit too exagerated on the low end. And perhaps somewhat dark souding. I would like something more balanced, but still a bit dynamic sounding. Would the Ostry's be ok? Or perhaps the RE-400's?

Thanks!

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #19 of 2,536
Thanks!

I quite agree with James. The KC06 sounds fuller and fairly more musical. havent listened to the H200 or TF10, but i have the DN-1000. The Dunu's are a step above. but if you have a strong amp, the KC06 might surprise you, specially in the bass dept.

Thanks for your input. :)
I will wait for your further impressions of the other variants of the KC06, before I make my final decision. Thank you!

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #21 of 2,536
  Very nice review Zelda.

Having bought the Xiaomi Pistons recently, how would you compare them with the Ostry's? I've bought the Piston's too, and liked them quite a bit. But I find them just a bit too exagerated on the low end. And perhaps somewhat dark souding. I would like something more balanced, but still a bit dynamic sounding. Would the Ostry's be ok? Or perhaps the RE-400's?

Thanks!

I just got the Xiaomi a couple of days ago. so it's a bit too early for a fair comparision.

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #26 of 2,536
Are the detail levels comparable to the DN1000? And how much better than the RE0's detail level, is it?

The DN1000 with the TWFK Dual BA is hard to beat in detail level. So far, I haven't heard something as detailed as those. 
But the KC06 detail is really good. i'd say at least at RE0/Zero level, which is pretty good for a dynamic driver

Nice write up! 
Are they available in korea, do you know?

Thanks!
Don't know if you can get them inside Korea, but you can get them from the sellers  listed in the beginning of the review. they ship everywhere

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #28 of 2,536
  how do they compare in sound quality to the JH-Audio roxiannes and JH-13's

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they fall woefully short.

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #29 of 2,536
  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they fall woefully short.

FWIW, I gave Brahms' German Requiem a critical listen last night (the 2009 Berlin RSO / Marek Janowski recording) and the Ostry KC06 did a wonderful job. Tonality / timbre, dynamics, intelligibility of lyrics (pretty tough with choral music) and soundstage / positioning felt all very lifelike and top notch.

Mind you, I'm used to listen with top-tier IEMs like the UERM, K3003 and FI-BA-SS on a regular basis. And yes, the $60 KC06 do fall a bit short in comparison, but not at all woefully so.

(Couldn't find Janowsky on YouTube, so this is DRSO / Blomstedt, also a great performance)

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #30 of 2,536
Mind you, I'm used to listen with top-tier IEMs like the UERM, K3003 and FI-BA-SS on a regular basis. And yes, the $60 KC06 do fall a bit short in comparison, but not at all woefully so.

And how do you know that top-tier IEMs like the UERM, K3003, and FI-BA-SS don't fall woefully short of the Roxanne?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back