REVIEW: Ostry KC06
Jun 1, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #2,086 of 2,536
@elvergun

Glad you lime them, you're obviously not alone :)

Maybe "wall of sound" comes across a bit harsh but I mean it as lack of depth if that makes more sense.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #2,087 of 2,536
@elvergun

Glad you lime them, you're obviously not alone
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe "wall of sound" comes across a bit harsh but I mean it as lack of depth if that makes more sense.

The problem with the Tenore is that I'm not quite sure what you are hearing.

Are your impressions based on using one of the bass heavy units, one of the bass light models, or one of the ones that changed over time.   Perhaps if I heard the one in your possession I would feel the same way about the Tenore. 

I prefer the KC06 over the Tenore I received.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #2,088 of 2,536
I don't really want to comment to much on different versions since I've my doubts about how big a issue this really is.

My pair has great soundstage and balance and a nice amount of bass that could never be called overly bassy, so pretty much the same as most impressions.

I do find that tips, source and fit plays a major role in how they sound though. More so than in most other IEM's

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #2,089 of 2,536
To put it short the KC06 is not my cup of tea
wink.gif

Someone else described their sound as a "wall of sound" and I can see why. I think it totally lacks soundstage depth and sounds really soulless. It has great clarity, very nice bass, great ergonomics and sounds great on low volume to sum up the positives for me.

I don't really feel like the Tenores are the second coming either but for my preferences they are a lot more enjoyable thane the KC06.

I really don't get the "wall of sound" analogy, nor "soulless". In some ways, they sound more musical and engaging to me than the tenores. But, I haven't sat down and compared them directly yet.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #2,090 of 2,536
I understand what he is talkin about as I've experience this with some IEMs.  Some iems have layering of the sound, creates a shape to the sound.  If you have all the sound coming from the same layer there is no dimension to the sound.  Like you have part of the vocals coming more forward than others, and it creates more realism.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #2,091 of 2,536
Sorry but "engaging" is just what I miss.....

Don't get me wrong, I love the clarity and bass that they offer but they just don't feel very natural and engaging to me.

Somebody mentioned that they sounds like Grado's, but man I love my Grado's so don't really know why they don't grab me.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #2,092 of 2,536
Not sure if the kc06 is the same as the A in regards to soundstage and imagining, but my "wall of sound" impression was/is to explain the overall feeling, especially compared to the FX850.

The Mids are slightly recessed on the KC06A. The sound like a small step back from the rest. Since the whole spectrum is very in your face, the slightly pulled back Mids give a false sense of stage, at least in my opinion.
It becomes undeniably apparent for me in live recordings.

I have a live recording of Lisa Hannigan at The Troubadour in Hollywood. I was at the show. When I listen on other setups from cans, to earphones, to speakers, it makes me feel like I'm there again.
When I listen on the KC06A it sounds like I'm 1 foot in front of the stage, all the band members are right next to the Mic, and the bar with people drinking is 2 feet behind me. Everything sounds lively, but some of the life in her vocals is just lost.
Some live Zeppelin confirmed it for me.

That was a huge factor for me. That recording really brought to life the few flaws that are just not within the boundaries of acceptable for my general listening preferences.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #2,093 of 2,536
Every time I do a serious listening with the Havi and the Tenore, I always end up reaching for the Ostrys. The only aspect that the B3 outdid the Ostry is the soundstage but not by a big margin and everything else is taken by the Ostry while the Tenore is too smooth for my taste and lack the details. I find the Ostrys especially the A version more musical and more engaging. As always, YMMV.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #2,094 of 2,536
  Every time I do a serious listening with the Havi and the Tenore, I always end up reaching for the Ostrys. The only aspect that the B3 outdid the Ostry is the soundstage but not by a big margin and everything else is taken by the Ostry while the Tenore is too smooth for my taste and lack the details. I find the Ostrys especially the A version more musical and more engaging. As always, YMMV.

This is what I am hearing from others, and I've experienced the same.  I am into details, minute subtle details being picked up and like the in your face aspect of it.  Of course this means I seek clarity, but it really doesn't add realism unless there is air in the space to create a sound stage.  Forward mids, clarity, and aire.  Which one is it guys?

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #2,096 of 2,536
Not sure if the kc06 is the same as the A in regards to soundstage and imagining, but my "wall of sound" impression was/is to explain the overall feeling, especially compared to the FX850.

The Mids are slightly recessed on the KC06A. The sound like a small step back from the rest. Since the whole spectrum is very in your face, the slightly pulled back Mids give a false sense of stage, at least in my opinion.
It becomes undeniably apparent for me in live recordings.

I have a live recording of Lisa Hannigan at The Troubadour in Hollywood. I was at the show. When I listen on other setups from cans, to earphones, to speakers, it makes me feel like I'm there again.
When I listen on the KC06A it sounds like I'm 1 foot in front of the stage, all the band members are right next to the Mic, and the bar with people drinking is 2 feet behind me. Everything sounds lively, but some of the life in her vocals is just lost.
Some live Zeppelin confirmed it for me.

That was a huge factor for me. That recording really brought to life the few flaws that are just not within the boundaries of acceptable for my general listening preferences.

Ok, I get what you mean. To me, they make me feel immersed in the music. Maybe it's not completely accurate, real or natural, but I like it. But, I also like the Tenores, so I guess I enjoy different signatures.

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #2,100 of 2,536
Instead of buying so much cheapies , just buy a higher price iem which does sound amazingly beautiful for every frequency :yum::heart_eyes:

Like the 850's that you hyped to infinity and then unceremoniously sold off? 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back