Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
Mar 27, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #766 of 1,164
@aertus
audio was bad
UI was not to my liking
phone conversation (voices) were bad (that's why we're supposed to have phones, no? Seemed a particularly bad failing).
basically, didn't like it (and I exchanged it for another model, thinking the 1st was defective, but the 2nd was the same).

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #768 of 1,164
  I have a doubt. Can they integrate the aQstic in any Snapdragon or just the 820?

Still trying to figure out what's happening with the Zenfone 3 that sounds so darn good. Lots of power too.

I think that it has to be configured at time of purchase.
There has been a great debate about this, because others suggested that phones like the G5 contained the aQstic system aswell but it didn't sound anywhere near as good.
So nobody really knows, but HTC internally has confirmed (and indirectly externally confirmed) that they are using a discrete DAC & Amp.

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #769 of 1,164

I just looked it up, those are $700 but the PM3 is $400 lol I think that $700 is a little out of the range of what I would want to spend any time in the near future.
I just wanted PM-3's because they are to be nice for Planar Magnetic at that price.

Yeah they are more expensive but superior to the PM-3s in every way apparently. lol

Yeah it's up there for me too. I may wait for the price to come down closer to $500ish and then give 'em a try. 

I had the PM-3s and initially I thought they were great but down the line I realized it was more hype than anything. They couldn't compete with the cheaper and better K55X series from what I heard. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #770 of 1,164
Jimster - I only have ONE pair of headphones at a time really (well, 1 PREMIUM set anyway lol), so you're ahead of me there. But =407991]I've auditioned MANY over the last few years. 

Badelhas - Ok will do! LOL 

doctorjazz/aertus - Yeah I had the S7 too for about 4 mos last year, and the audio for both music AND call quality was f'ing AWFUL. lol The S7 also had a bad driver for the MicroUSB-C port which caused my music (when connected via that port vs. 3.5mm port) to skip every 3-5 minutes. UNACCEPTABLE SAMDUNG! lol 

And yes, the UI/Settings Menu, though slightly improved from the S5, was still confusing and complicated. It took me like 5 minutes to find "Location". lol 

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #771 of 1,164
  Jimster - I only have ONE pair of headphones at a time really (well, 1 PREMIUM set anyway lol), so you're ahead of me there. But =407991]I've auditioned MANY over the last few years. 

Badelhas - Ok will do! LOL 

doctorjazz/aertus - Yeah I had the S7 too for about 4 mos last year, and the audio for both music AND call quality was f'ing AWFUL. lol The S7 also had a bad driver for the MicroUSB-C port which caused my music (when connected via that port vs. 3.5mm port) to skip every 3-5 minutes. UNACCEPTABLE SAMDUNG! lol 

And yes, the UI/Settings Menu, though slightly improved from the S5, was still confusing and complicated. It took me like 5 minutes to find "Location". lol 

Well I need IEM's and headphones.
Thats why I have the HD-10's and the Triples and just recently got the Quads.
if I settle with the Quads I will probably sell the triples.

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #773 of 1,164
How does the HTC M9 sound quality compare with the HTC 10?

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #774 of 1,164
How does the HTC M9 sound quality compare with the HTC 10?

I had the M8,9 and now 10. Unfortunately, I can't compare speakers on the M9 vs the 10 since mine were defective, but if they're anything like the M8, they'll be about 1-2 notches louder than the 10 and a little fuller but less clear and clean sounding. In terms of HO, the M9 sounds pretty similar to the M8 and the 10 is definitely a nice step up. It has absolutely no background hiss through Poweramp Hi-Res, extension is a little better in either direction and it sounds a lot more refined. The differences aren't night and day but it's the appreciable upgrade I didn't get when moving from the M8 to M9. I wrote a more detailed comparison earlier in the thread, you can use the search function to find it.

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #775 of 1,164
I had the M8.9 and now 10. Unfortunately, I can't compare speakers on the M9 vs the 10 since mine were defective, but if they're anything like the M8, they'll be about 1-2 notches louder than the 10 and a little fuller but less clear and clean sounding. In terms of HO, the M9 sounds pretty similar to the M8 and the 10 is definitely a nice step up. It has absolutely no background hiss through Poweramp Hi-Res, extension is a little better in either direction and it sounds a lot more refined. The differences aren't night and day but it's the appreciable upgrade I didn't get when moving from the M8 to M9. I wrote a more detailed comparison earlier in the thread, you can use the search function to find it.

Thanks

Apr 4, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #776 of 1,164
I had the M8.9 and now 10. Unfortunately, I can't compare speakers on the M9 vs the 10 since mine were defective, but if they're anything like the M8, they'll be about 1-2 notches louder than the 10 and a little fuller but less clear and clean sounding. In terms of HO, the M9 sounds pretty similar to the M8 and the 10 is definitely a nice step up. It has absolutely no background hiss through Poweramp Hi-Res, extension is a little better in either direction and it sounds a lot more refined. The differences aren't night and day but it's the appreciable upgrade I didn't get when moving from the M8 to M9. I wrote a more detailed comparison earlier in the thread, you can use the search function to find it.

You use PowerAmp Hi-res mode? Can you get it to stay on? Or are you constantly turning it back on after it fails for some reason?
Thanks.

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #777 of 1,164
I think that it has to be configured at time of purchase.
There has been a great debate about this, because others suggested that phones like the G5 contained the aQstic system aswell but it didn't sound anywhere near as good.

So nobody really knows, but HTC internally has confirmed (and indirectly externally confirmed) that they are using a discrete DAC & Amp.

Any which smartphone with Snapdragon 821 or later will come with Qualcomm Aqstic Audio Codec (which conatains the DAC ) in -built that HTC 10 has ..
Again , HTC 10 made it Overtly Warm , lacking definitions ..to make it louder

Even My Oneplus 3T on Nougat utilizes the same DAC better (Sibilant , Wider soundstage )

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #778 of 1,164
Any which smartphone with Snapdragon 821 or later will come with Qualcomm Aqstic Audio Codec (which conatains the DAC ) in -built that HTC 10 has ..
Again , HTC 10 made it Overtly Warm , lacking definitions ..to make it louder

Even My Oneplus 3T on Nougat utilizes the same DAC better (Sibilant , Wider soundstage )

That isn't the case at all.
The HTC 10 has incredible detail, obviously you haven't ever even heard one. It is a bit warm, but you can actually EQ it and make it however you want.

The 10 does have a dedicated DAC & Amp although HTC doesn't say what they are using. At the end of the day the SQ speaks for itself and its been tested everywhere rating in the top SQ of everything.

It compares to the Chord Mojo and other high end DAC/Amp's especially portable ones.

The 8 is louder than the 9 and the 10 is about the same loudless as the 9 but it is multi-directional audio. So its not the same as the speakers both being on the front since the woofer is on the bottom and the tweeter is on the front.

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #780 of 1,164
There's been some leaks lately about the upcoming HTC U but nothing about the chassis. Am I missing something? If it has a glass chassis, I'm finally buying the HTC 10. My dying M8 is getting on my nerves :grimacing:

It's clearly part of the U series, so although I cannot confirm this (the only "leaks" that seemed to confirm it have been dismissed as fakes) it is hard to believe that it will have a completely different design language from the U Ultra and U Play, both of which are glass designs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back