Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
Mar 27, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #751 of 1,164
Alright, I feel bad I didn't order through HTC :mad:
I had read reviews of the Samsung (reviews of this kind of stuff are crazy making, not reliable AT ALL), and the salesperson at Verizon kept telling me how it was the best current phone out there, so I went for it. I had 2 wks to return and exchange it, and really didn't like the Samsung, so I did return it, but at that point I was at Verizon's mercy, couldn't just return for a refund, had to exchange and do it at Verizon's then current price. Oh well, really like my 10, still glad it worked out this way.

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #752 of 1,164

I read somewhere they were using the HTC custom-made codec for only streaming apps like Google Music, Spotify, etc. But HTC's Special Projects Team (one level ABOVE cust serv) looked into it for me and concluded that was NOT true, and that Aqstic is only there b/c the 820 comes with it anyway OR as a support codec for the HTC one. 

Well part of it too is that the better DACs also HAPPEN to TYPICALLY come with better supporting tech and implementation too. 

Yes I agree. Specs only tell you so much. It's always best to compare devices on your own. Some pro reviews will tell you the $399 Oppo PM-3 planar magnetic headphones are better than $200 (now $100) AKG K550 headphones. The Truth: It's NOT! lol The K550 has a wider and bigger soundstage, and more clarity IMO than the PM-3. 

Interesting comparison.
I have been looking at the PM-3's.
I also have Panasonic HD-10's and they are great and I just got the 1More Quad drivers (I have the triples too).

This is all I need for now. I was looking at the AKG K550 but I thought they were open back.

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #753 of 1,164
Alright, I feel bad I didn't order through HTC
mad.gif

I had read reviews of the Samsung (reviews of this kind of stuff are crazy making, not reliable AT ALL), and the salesperson at Verizon kept telling me how it was the best current phone out there, so I went for it. I had 2 wks to return and exchange it, and really didn't like the Samsung, so I did return it, but at that point I was at Verizon's mercy, couldn't just return for a refund, had to exchange and do it at Verizon's then current price. Oh well, really like my 10, still glad it worked out this way.

Nice well atleast you didnt get stuck with the S7.
Its really not a good phone, the menus are still not good and like we were saying before the build quality is just not there.
The camera really pops but its not accurate, and in lower light situations the HTC 10 utterly destroys it at taking photos and especially making videos.

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #754 of 1,164

Interesting comparison.
I also have Panasonic HD-10's and they are great and I just got the 1More Quad drivers (I have the triples too).

This is all I need for now. I was looking at the AKG K550 but I thought they were open back.

Yeah, forget the PM-3s. If you're looking for an even better planar magnetic headphone, then look SERIOUSLY at the brand new Blue Ella. I've read reviews where they say it totally outdoes the PM-3 and even some open-back headphones like the Grados. I may one day check out the Ella as well. 

Nice! Both of those look cool. 

Yeah the K550s are closed-back, but they SOUND super open-backy. lol All the reviews say that too. I compared them to the Sennheiser HD 598SE and I felt they were just as open sounding in terms of soundstage. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #755 of 1,164

Its really not a good phone, the menus are still not good and like we were saying before the build quality is just not there.
The camera really pops but its not accurate, and in lower light situations the HTC 10 utterly destroys it at taking photos and especially making videos.

Completely agree! The 10 is more accurate. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #756 of 1,164

Yeah, forget the PM-3s. If you're looking for an even better planar magnetic headphone, then look SERIOUSLY at the brand new Blue Ella. I've read reviews where they say it totally outdoes the PM-3 and even some open-back headphones like the Grados. I may one day check out the Ella as well. 

Yeah the K550s are closed-back, but they SOUND super open-backy. lol All the reviews say that too. I compared them to the Sennheiser HD 598SE and I felt they were just as open sounding in terms of soundstage. 

Oh they are closed? Yea I only want closed. I would have no use for Open back headphones.

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #757 of 1,164
mad.gif

Well there's always next time..........esp if you get the 11/Ocean/U Vive. lol 

I see. Yeah man, I'm DONE with Samsung unless they make some big changes, which they SEEM to be doing, but they're still not there yet for me. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #758 of 1,164

Oh they are closed? Yea I only want closed. I would have no use for Open back headphones.

Yeah. The K550 is a closed-back headphone, but doesn't sound like it really at all. I mean, you get the great isolation of a closed-back, but the soundstage is HUGE & WIDE. 
L3000.gif
 I'm a HUGE fan of AKG's headphones, esp the K55X series. I have the K551 right now, which sounds exactly the same to me. 

Same here. I work from home but I like to travel on the train etc into downtown (Chicago) with my headphones, and open-backs aren't gonna work there unless I wanna be "that guy". 

Note: You NEVER wanna be "that guy." LOL!

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #759 of 1,164

I just looked it up, those are $700 but the PM3 is $400 lol I think that $700 is a little out of the range of what I would want to spend any time in the near future.
I just wanted PM-3's because they are to be nice for Planar Magnetic at that price.

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #760 of 1,164

Interesting comparison.

Fully agreed with Rockstar2005. I also reviewed the AKG550 recently and they are pretty much open back

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #761 of 1,164
If you're up in the $700+ range already, I'd look at the Elears, the HE-560, and the ZMF headphones (which all have ridiculously different sound sigs; your preferences would make a big difference here). They are all a bit more, but might be available used for about that $700 mark, and, in their own ways, are great cans. I haven't heard the Blue Headphones yet, they do get good notices.

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #762 of 1,164
For a bit less, I like the Focal Sonorous III and VI (again, depending on what you want to spend), the Shure 1540, to name 3 I have or have had.

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #764 of 1,164
@RockStar2015 We all love your great input but can I give you a suggestion, if you don't mind? Instead of doing 2 or 3 different posts in a row why not making all in one, quoting who you want to quote in the same post?

Cheers

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #765 of 1,164

weird.You'd think the very wide aperture would make it better in low light and everyone praises it for low light. 
mad.gif

what specificvally didnt you like it about it? was the audio bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back