Review of the Audio-Gd DAC-19 DF / MKIV
Mar 25, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #91 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by arcer63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys have no idea how hard it is for me to not buy this thing right now. I was also looking at the C-2. (as an upgrade from the compass(which i love)) Im gonna try avoiding head-fi for a few days. let myself cool down.

Its a good thing im getting emails from my bank everyday telling me that my balance is below $200.

I need to get a C-2 first then a D-19,I don't know when I will get the DAC

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #92 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed noinimod........it's amazing what a quality source can do for even the most modest of systems.
Peete.

Totally agree. We tend to underestimate the importance of a quality source.
A quality amp will sound rubbish fed by a bad source: I'm currently waiting to buy a balanced Audio-GD dac and I just sold my decent Little Dac_I, so basically I'm listening to the Roc connected to the RCA output of the squeezebox.
The sound is totally crap! Actually my cheap Rega Ear sounds better then the Roc when connected to that source, as it probably "hides" some of the flaws :)

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #93 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just realized....this DAC-19DSP sounds amazing right now. What happens after the 200+ hours of burn in that Kingwa recommended to me. LMAO, this thing sounds so good its scary funny.

Are you using the USB input right now?

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #94 of 128
Yes I am, as I await the arrival of my M2Tech hiFace. I also tried the coax with an older Teac CD player which sounded incredible. This CD player sounds totally different, the DAC-19DSP bought some new life to old equipment....gotta luv it

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #95 of 128
Quote:

Yes I am, as I await the arrival of my M2Tech hiFace. I also tried the coax with an older Teac CD player which sounded incredible. That CD player never had such life.

You'll love it, believe me. I had a blast with my hiface, although i ended up sending it back as the mark-up for it over where i'm at is just a little too high for me.

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #96 of 128
Well guys, brought home some Heavy Duty 14AWG Server/UPS power wires from work...fired up the DAC-19DSP and was blown away all over again!! I have been trying to convince myself that I need a Reference series DAC but.....

This DAC has exceeded all my expectations!! I know for a fact that Audio-gd's higher end equipment would be overkill with my current audio equipment. I would not be able to take advantage of a Reference series DAC without breaking my wallet to upgrade all the other aspects of my stereo setup.

Instead of spending an additional $1000 to upgrade to a Reference series DAC I decided to upgrade the components connecting the DAC-19DSP.....

I have bought the P-2 to pair up with it. I also purchased all 6 of the voltage gain modules to obtain different sound signatures.

I am currently using some Monster interconnects & using a standard USB cable. To obtain the most from my DAC-19 I have ordered some pretty high end custom interconnects and the M2Tech hiFace.

I feel pretty confident that these upgrades along with 300-400+ hours of burn in should bring about years and years of enjoyment.

Once I obtain all the upgrades and get everything burned in I will post some additional thoughts at that time. I will try and take some pictures as well...

Just wanted to thank everyone for their helpful comments and suggestions and for listening to my rants...

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #97 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally agree. We tend to underestimate the importance of a quality source.
A quality amp will sound rubbish fed by a bad source: I'm currently waiting to buy a balanced Audio-GD dac and I just sold my decent Little Dac_I, so basically I'm listening to the Roc connected to the RCA output of the squeezebox.
The sound is totally crap! Actually my cheap Rega Ear sounds better then the Roc when connected to that source, as it probably "hides" some of the flaws :)

You know it's funny, back before the advent of digital the mantra "source is king" was the commonly held belief among audio engineers (I hung out/worked with) and the audiophile community. There was no question that a top quality source was the way to build a quality system. Along comes digital (in '82) and this axiom got filed (foolishly IMO) with the LP and TT on top of the scrap heap of old Tech...only those that knew better stuck with the tried and true until digital ironed out the many issues it had (with first gen chip sets and the like).

Source being King is just as true today as ever (IMO of course). Hell look at turntables and cartridges/phono stages today......the quality and variety of analog gear available today has never been better. Even the entry level stuff is really good compared to the 70's & 80's. If anything I think the veritable explosion of the high end (DACs, transports, turntables, cartridges etc) in the past 20 years has only reinforced that mantra. Anyway I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on this one
smily_headphones1.gif

sk3383 I think you are wise to hang onto what you have right now. The P-2 is a very good little preamp and it should help make your system more versatile. I'd look for a used amp (or borrow one if possible) as a temp measure to gauge how you like the new gear with your passive speakers vs the powered monitors. The monitors may not be the perfect vehicle for enjoying music but I understand you need them as tools for their primary purpose. That being said a dual personality/use system is pretty easy to setup.

I bet you get a surprise from those Missions
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #98 of 128
Thanks Peete!! Thats exactly what I was planning on doing. I also have some old Sansui loudspeakers that I want to give a test run too, gotta get them out of storage.

Have any amplifiers you wouldnt mind parting with?

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #99 of 128
Slowly getting adapted to it. It does a superb job justifying my ED 8 purchase! German Maestro 435S also performs well on it. This source give pretty much all my headphones much more bass/body more colour and very analogue. In many ways what I wished for though I could live with less bass. The Pro 900 and DX 1000 sometimes struggles a bit getting all this bass under control. My speakers as well. Mid range also a bit richer. Treble is what takes a back seat some what but what is there is not bad.
Clarity goes out of the window some but the Ed 8 manage to keep it under control the best. A totally different signature to anything I heard otherwise source wise.

Very pleasant experience most of the time though. Nice companion to the Keces. I could easilly live with it as the one and only DAC for stereo listening.

Mar 27, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #101 of 128
lol. Well this is worse then the DX 1000 on the Canamp... But it´s amazing how quick your brain adjusts. Clear improvement from day to day. I am even being able to use the DX 1000 on this DAC now.

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #102 of 128
Oh man. I tried to resist so badly during the last days, but in the end, couldn't manage. So I just went too and ordered both DAC19DSP and C2 (B grade, minor dent on back), together with free ACSS-cable and Audio-gd's custom power cable from AmpCity, hoping to see some improvement over Compass with K702's.
cool.gif

Have to just hope that I don't regret this - and that I'll have enough money for school left.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #103 of 128
I have a feeling the K702 should mate very well with this. Wish I still got it so I could check it out.

On the other hand it surely works with all my headphones by now lol

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #104 of 128
Quote:

Have any amplifiers you wouldnt mind parting with?

Actually, I do have a number of them (at least 3 or 4 ). PM me and I'll lay out what I have.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back