Review of the Audio-Gd DAC-19 DF / MKIV
Mar 20, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #77 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you connecting your monitors via RCA unbalanced? Or are you connecting them to a balanced pre-amplifier then connecting through XLR?

Yea, xlr -> rca adapter.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #79 of 128
Got mine today... Talk about express ordering all the way from china.

I read that they are supposed to have 100h burnin but how is that possible with such speedy process. Started listening some with my Pro 900. On my previous system they where if anything slightly on the bright side now they are definiatly on the dark side. Not good for movie watching but music is priority number one here Definiatly not a bright and analytical DAC this unless burn in really changes things...

Warm and easy on the ears there is nothing harsh or anything which the 900 tend to be quite good to detect. I tried it as hard as I could with some awfully bright recording. Some old Linda thompson but I found myself actually getting lost in the music instead of getting pierced ears!... REM which is infamous for their sibilant recordings again where is the sibilance?. It´s there if you listen to it but it doesn´t shout Ssssssh at you.

Definiatly promising... Worried about the darkness and perhaps getting a tad much bass now.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #80 of 128
Glad you received it in one piece. It was made and probably also burned in before you ordered, so it does have 100 hours.

Are you connecting the dac19dsp to the brightest amp you got? There's certainly some "dark" when I don't plug my dac19mk3 into my quite bright power conditioner, but there's something easy you might be able to do about it. Are you plugging the dac directly into wall outlet or a surge protector/power strip? It should be better if you connect directly to the wall with a thick power cable, or the stock one that came with the dac19dsp.

Do you still have your custom pro 900 copper cable btw? I recommend putting it on the pro 900 to enjoy the tight bass of the dac19
smily_headphones1.gif
. One last thing, if you're using the computer are you using a bit-perfect media player?

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #81 of 128
no f¤%¤K bit perfect.... Always bit perfect for my CDs lol

I am using my Goldpoint headphone Pro which turned my Pro 900 a bit trebly compared to my previous Slee Solo/canamp/EF1...

I do use some surge protector I do belive made for audio use. Supra LoRad something always used that to protect from lightning strikes. I even got some add on power cable that I got with my Keces even though I am not really that much of a cable believer once you get to a certain level.

But well I will just let it settle in some. At its current state its more suitable for my Ultrasones then the DX 1000.
If nothing else I always have my behringer equalizer to fall back to
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #82 of 128
I find surge protectors and my power conditioner to impart their own sound coloration, sometimes bright sometimes dark. I recommend trying to take off your surge protector to see if it gets less dark, audio-gd products all have built-in protection from power surges/brown outs.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #83 of 128
Just got my Audio-gd DAC-19DSP which I was planning on sending back for the Reference 7 or 8.

WOW!! I under estimated how much of an improvement a DAC could provide. This DAC is unbelievable. I cannot find the words to describe the sound I am hearing right now...the only word coming to mind right now is AMAZING!!

I am reconcidering if I need anything better than this.

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #84 of 128
Quote:

Just got my Audio-gd DAC-19DSP which I was planning on sending back for the Reference 7 or 8.

WOW!! I under estimated how much of an improvement a DAC could provide. This DAC is unbelievable. I cannot find the words to describe the sound I am hearing right now...the only word coming to mind right now is AMAZING!!

Congrats!
Many people under estimate the importance of a DAC in a good system too, so no surprise there
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #85 of 128
Agreed noinimod........it's amazing what a quality source can do for even the most modest of systems.

I figured you'd like the DAC sk3383. If you would like to hear what it's big brother can do you are welcome to come by my place for a listen
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #86 of 128
Quote:

LOL...We told you so...There is nothing like letting your ears, your gears, be the judge. Oh yeah and that Audio-GD stuff is pretty good too.....

I saw your post before where you said you were getting ready to ship it back, than I catch this...

Congrats...
beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #87 of 128
I think this DAC is a good match for my current setup as all I am running is a pair of active/powered studio monitors.

The Audio-gd Reference series equipment must be incredible. To take advantage of equipment like the Reference 7 would require $$ I just dont have to spend. It must be so transparent that using sub par equipment with it would be doing it a huge injustice. To hear the beauty of it I would need a preamp, amplifier, power condition and all the associated cables. I do have some decent bookshelf speakers; Paradigm Titan v2's & Mission M32i's. But again I bet they would benefit from a full standing speaker setup...preferrably something slightly warm such as Tannoys or Wharfedales. Anyways its a huge can of worms....$$ I wish I had to spend.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #89 of 128
Quote:

...last night I was listening to Widespreadpanic's studio album Everyday.

It was breathtaking to hear so many new details and a 3D sound stage on this particular well produced album. I am so grateful I found headfi and then Kingwa.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #90 of 128
You guys have no idea how hard it is for me to not buy this thing right now. I was also looking at the C-2. (as an upgrade from the compass(which i love)) Im gonna try avoiding head-fi for a few days. let myself cool down.

Its a good thing im getting emails from my bank everyday telling me that my balance is below $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back