Review of Meier Audio Corda JAZZ with ƒƒ-technology upgrade
Mar 9, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #166 of 441

I'm glad to hear that!  The Jazz should set me up nicely for a while.  
biggrin.gif

Absolutely...I'm on year 3 with mine, and even with the upgrade to the Corda Classic, I still use mine all the time

Ditto. I end up using the JAZZ more, since I keep it at work.

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #167 of 441
I'll have my second pair of (legitimate) headphones soon.  It'll be a 4-way shootout for head time between the Jazz & Little Dot and 325e & HD600.  Can't wait!

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #168 of 441
  Ditto. I end up using the JAZZ more, since I keep it at work.

Nice, nothing like some Jazz-driven tunes at the office! 

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #169 of 441
  I'll have my second pair of (legitimate) headphones soon.  It'll be a 4-way shootout for head time between the Jazz & Little Dot and 325e & HD600.  Can't wait!

Dude, the value that the Jazz and LD combined bring to the table is off the charts...those are both untouchables for me...I'll never sell either one. 

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #170 of 441
I'll admit how fun it's been buying up and trying out all the new audio gear.  My home theater is pretty much set and not a lot I can improve w/o a full rip & replace.  So I'm glad to hear the stuff I've been picking up in this new hobby is well regarded.  Too much time spent combing through Head-Fi for all the juicy bits to not come out of it with both good info and good gear.

Jul 10, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #171 of 441
Jan has anounced an upgrade for the Jazz and Classic: JAZZ-ff

"
A newly developed circuit topology using frequency- adaptive feedback results in a clear increase of sound quality. The music comes with more natural flow and more ease. Detail is increased.
The JAZZ-FF is a fine choice for people who normally prefer tubes but like the reliability and energy-efficiency of solid-state".

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #172 of 441
Interesting but hard to imagine that there will be "a clear increase of sound quality".

Anyway, I am still super happy with my regular JAZZ 
atsmile.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #173 of 441
Yeah I'm not sure about this (yet). I wasn't exactly under the impression that Jan would want to appeal to people who prefer tubes. As always though, if it's designed by dr. Meier I will take it seriously and am 100% sure it will be top quality gear and am looking forward to reading reviews. A little bit more technical details about this new circuit would be appreciated!

I wonder if my Concerto can also get this upgrade, I've been using it pretty much daily for almost 5 years now. German/Dutch quality, built to last!! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #174 of 441
Count me in...I'm sending all three of my Meier pieces back to Jan...no desire at all to upgrade/change from these beautiful components, so since I know I'll have them for the long term, if Jan says he can make them better, I say have at it, sir! 

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #175 of 441
Count me in...I'm sending all three of my Meier pieces back to Jan...no desire at all to upgrade/change from these beautiful components, so since I know I'll have them for the long term, if Jan says he can make them better, I say have at it, sir! 

I will do the same thing once I get back from summer vacation.

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #176 of 441
OMG - there is an upgrade option?! I must have been blind when I visited the website last time...
rolleyes.gif

Aww man, now I have to think about this option too. I will wait for further technical details about this new feature but I guess it will end like always: there is something better - I  must have it! :D

edit: OK, Jan just replied to my e-mail super fast and the upgrade can be already done. I can not withstand and will send it in today.

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #177 of 441
  OMG - there is an upgrade option?! I must have been blind when I visited the website last time...
rolleyes.gif

Aww man, now I have to think about this option too. I will wait for further technical details about this new feature but I guess it will end like always: there is something better - I  must have it! :D

edit: OK, Jan just replied to my e-mail super fast and the upgrade can be already done. I can not withstand and will send it in today.

lol nice 
beerchug.gif

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #178 of 441
Maybe I can add some information regarding the upgrade option. I did allready post this also here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/557892/new-meier-audio-headphone-amp-corda-classic/375#post_11757756

Several weeks ago Jan Meier stopped by at my home. Over the years our relation has grown from headphone addict to developer to a friendship. So when Jan is on his way from Erlangen (Germany) to the Netherlands, he sometimes stops by for some hours which we truly enjoy. Sometimes he has some luggage with him like new developments he is working on. So one of the last times he brought his DAC and his Corda Classic with him and we fed it with the digital output out of my Audionet CD player. He told me that with one of the switches I could listen in to a new circuit. This new circuit, now called frequency adaptive feedback, was build in the DAC and in the Corda Classic. So with one switch I could change between old and new circuit in the DAC and with another switch in the Corda Classic.

Interestingly Jan did not tell me which switch did what or what too expect, so listening in the two devices was completely blind. I took my Sennheiser HD 800's and listend with my favorite music for testing audio equipment: Chesky Ultlimate Demonstration Disc, Youngblood Brass Band - center level roar, Bach Goldberg-Variationen Bwv 988 for violine (Mischa Maisky, Julian Rachlin, Imai Nobuko89) and David Munyon "Four wild horses".

After going back and forth I found that one of the switch positions was much better. I had no chance to discuss this with Jan during the 1.5 hour I was testing, since he was hanging out with my family and I was alone.
The difference was very clear and very audible.
While I tested between the headphone amp and the DAC I found that the difference was stronger for the amp and while still clearly better, less extreme for the DAC. As Jan explained to me later the DAC has less amplification stages and therefore the effect overall is smaller.

I have owned a lot of gear and still own some, like for example amps like the CEC HD53N, the Lehmann Linear with SSC feet and a Music Hi-Fi tube amp. But I was surprised that I have not heard some of the songs in that quality.

There where two distinct moments where I was surprised listening in my music.

1. At the beginning of the center level roar CD of the Youngblood Brass Band, in the intro "To Come Together" there is a rap with only some brass and a drum. The rap is recorded comparably quietly and you should not turn the volume up too much, since you would get a shock when the the second song starts with full force. Exact position of the rapper and size of the person were always a bit unclear. With the new circuit, it was suddenly so clear where he stood. He also wasn't just a voice but he kind of became a person.

2. At the beginning of David Munyon's "Four Wild Horses" there is something like a dark sound of a gong (I believe). While the sound is and was mysterious I never had heard so much from it. It became with the new circuit clearer and more tangible.

These are two examples out of many, where it was immediately clear Jan had improved something dramatical. Overall I had the feeling like the fog had lifted.

While listening I started to become unsure why my music sounded so much better. Did I just had a golden ear day? Was it different since I listened to my music at a normal volume while I usualy listen to my music at very low volumes during night time.
So I turned on my Music Hi-Fi amp (which I was using for the last year) and fed it with the analog signal from my Audionet Art G2 CD-player (https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A//www.audio.de/testbericht/audionet-art-g2-328714.html). What a shock. I couldn't believe how bad it sounded in direct comparison. It was like going back a lot. And believe me, I have owned so many configurations and was thinking I had reached my audio heaven, which is the reason I am not so active any longer in the forum world.

Anyhow, I asked Jan if he could build this "modification" into his DAC and amp and sell me one and he agreed. So now the Jan Meier dream team is working in my home and I am very happy with it.

Two surprises I had since I own the configuration:
Although Jan does not advertise it, you can use the DAC with the iPad together with the Apple camera kit. I am even not sure if he was aware of it.
2. While I buy some high-res stuff myself, I was surprised how great my Qobuz MP3 320 kbps streaming sounds no matter if I use my laptop or my iPad.

So overall, I am surprised what a difference this new frequency adaptive feedback makes and I can fully recommend this new amp.

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #179 of 441
Thanks a lot for that insight. It sounds very promising. Can't wait to get back my amp from Jan. I will be on vacation the next two weeks, so more than enough time for testing.

But so far a moment of silence please... 
wink.gif

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #180 of 441
  Thanks a lot for that insight. It sounds very promising. Can't wait to get back my amp from Jan. I will be on vacation the next two weeks, so more than enough time for testing.

But so far a moment of silence please... 
wink.gif

*bowing head in silence*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back