Review of Meier Audio Corda JAZZ with ƒƒ-technology upgrade
Jul 15, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #182 of 437
I wonder how it affects tracks that already have some more "aggressive" mids and highs. I hope they will not tend to sound harsh with this technique.

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #183 of 437
Dear Shoggy,

"I wonder how it affects tracks that already have some more "aggressive" mids and highs. I hope they will not tend to sound harsh with this technique."

Please don't worry. There is no tendency for any harshness or sybillance. Mids and highs become better defined but not more pronounced, if implemented properly.

Cheers

Jan

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #184 of 437
OK! 
smile.gif

Small status update: Jan wrote me that my amp has been finished and will be dispatched today. With some luck it could be here tomorrow but I guess Monday will be more realistic.

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #185 of 437
The new ƒƒ-Upgrade
Meier Audio has released a new technology called frequency adaptive feedback which is available for the CORDA JAZZ, CLASSIC and DACCORD amps. Jan uses the symbol ƒƒ for this technology which normally stands for "fortissimo" in musical notations and means "very loud". Of course it does not mean that the amp has become louder but that it is able to improve the definition of the middle and upper frequencies - at least that is what the website claims about this technology. I recommend having a read through the explanation.

Well, the big question is:
ƒoolish ƒiction or ƒantastic ƒidelity?

Luckily this technology is also available as an upgrade so you can send in your amp and have Jan to modify the electronic. This is exactly what I did. The upgrade took only one day and I have picked up the parcel with the upgraded amp today. After some hours of listening to many different songs I want to share my experience.

The amp: let us have a look again
The outside of the amp has not changed but if you take a look at the sticker on the base you will notice that Jan has added the ƒƒ symbol and also signed it. So, if one day Meier Audio becomes the next big thing in the audio market I can say I have a hand signed device from the early days. OK, that maybe belongs to the foolish fiction that I was talking about earlier...

Back to the serious stuff. Of course I was not able to resist opening the amp again and checking what has changed. The front side seems to be unchanged. If something was modified, I am not able to see it.

The backside also looks as before but only at first sight...

After a closer inspection you can see that some SMD resistors and capacitors have been added in parallel. The area close to the headphone jack shows the most modifications.

And more teamwork is visible here and there.

Play it again, Sam: the (new) listening experience
Unfortunately I can do no direct comparison between the regular JAZZ and the enhanced version so the thing I was wondering about: will I be able to tell a difference? I just started to listen to a few different songs and in my opinion especially handmade music sounded different in a positive way. Like Richter Di already stated you will hear some details in a clearer way as before. I really enjoyed listening to several tracks from Rhythms Del Mundo since this seems to be the kind of music where the new frequency adaptive feedback can show off. The sound and overall experience was so spot on - just great. Like Jan wrote on his website: the sound also comes with more ease and just flows.

To describe the enhancement you can imagine a photo which is slightly blurry with somewhat washed out colours and the ƒƒ-magic adds just the correct amount of sharpness and contrast to make a difference without destroying or exaggerate the overall appearance of a song. Some negligible details are moved a bit forward which make a song sound more detailed and provides a new listening experience.

Well, it does not work for any track but many sound noticeable clearer. My fear that the technology might add some ugly harshness to the mids or highs was unsubstantiated. I have not found a single song where I had the feeling that the sound has become worse.

My personal verdict
It is not necessary to have a direct comparison. The frequency adaptive feedback makes a difference without doubt. I had many aha-moments while listing to a lot of different songs. As mentioned before not every song will benefit from the ƒƒ-technology. In my opinion quieter songs with only a few instruments and a singer reveal the new technology the best.

The upgrade had cost me 100 Euro and if we go only by the material (visible changes) and add some time for the soldering it seems to be worth much less. Of course we also have to keep in mind that developing this ƒƒ-technology has consumed some time for sure and this time also wants to be paid. Anyway, the upgrade makes a positive difference so I am fine with the costs. Like the amp itself this upgrade is a long-term investment :wink:

Meier Audio brought an already great amp one step closer to perfection and I am very curious about the opinions of those who will send in their amps for an upgrade too.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #187 of 437
Dear Shoggy,

" I was not able to resist opening the amp again and checking what has changed. "

I feel sorry for your loss of warranty!!   :)

" After a closer inspection you can see that some SMD resistors and capacitors have been added "

Just to make you curious, a total of 28 new components were added!

" The upgrade had cost me 100 Euro and if we go only by the material (visible changes) and add some time for the soldering it seems to be worth much less. "

Don't forget the shipping costs, packaging, VAT (MwSt), ......

But it's true, most of the costs are for labour. The changes are not made in a few minutes.

I'm glad you like the sonic improvements though.   :)

Jan

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #188 of 437
Many thanks shoggy! Are there some rock and metal records in your library? 
wink.gif

Metal is not really my thing so I have no tracks from this genere but I own a few rock songs. Like mentioned before: some records can shine while others seem to sound the same way as before. I tried a few records and I would do anything for love from Meat Loaf is very impressive. I can not remember that it had such an intense sound. Also the other guy who will not do it for love but for you (Bryan Adams) is great. It is really hard to describe. There is more clarity and it sounds just right.

On the other side for older records of Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit for example I can not find much difference. I think their records have too much stuff going on at the same time and also sound a bit "flat" in general. It just lacks dynamic which seems to be a requirement for the ƒƒ-technology to make a difference. Behind blue eyes is a song where I would say it sounds enhanced but this one also offers more dynamic and is on the quieter side.

I think that with Death Metal or something like that you will get not much improvement but that is only a theoretical assumption.

Originally Posted by Jan Meier /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel sorry for your loss of warranty!!   :)

Just to make you curious, a total of 28 new components were added!

Warranty is overrated
rolleyes.gif

28 parts... - I must have missed a few of them but this way we keep some mystery alive.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #189 of 437
Hi Jan, could this upgrade also be done for my Opera?

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #190 of 437
Hi Jan, could this upgrade also be done for my Opera?

Principally yes.

However, as the design of the OPERA in many aspects is different from the CLASSIC and DACCORD I would have to recalculate quite a larger number of parts and have to order them. The costs involved would be quite high and therefore it's not recommended.

Cheers

Jan

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #191 of 437
Another question, Jan:
Is this modification related to the IMD reduction tests that you mentioned in the Stepdance thread last year?

Aug 9, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #192 of 437
Shot me a JAZZ on Ebay today. Will send it to Jan for the update.

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #193 of 437
^ Looking forward to your impressions.

Someone needs to do a serious, in-depth review of ff. It strikes me as one of Jan's most significant developments in recent years.

Unfortunately this probably means comparing directly a standard and ff version of a Jazz or Classic.

I would volunteer but unfortunately funds are limited for the next six months :frowning2:

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #194 of 437

Principally yes.

However, as the design of the OPERA in many aspects is different from the CLASSIC and DACCORD I would have to recalculate quite a larger number of parts and have to order them. The costs involved would be quite high and therefore it's not recommended.

Cheers

Jan

Ok, sold the fantastic Opera today. Should have the Jazz tomorrow. Will send it for rework to you later this week. Want to listen to the unmodded  Jazz for some time to  be able to hear the difference later.
Btw, a FF DAC in the size and price segment of the Jazz would be very helpful.
Cheers

Peter

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #195 of 437
So I have the Jazz running driving my Sony MDR-Z7 with authority in the bass department and perfectness in the mids and treble. Feeding my Sony NWZ-ZX1 LOD into the Jazz line in. Sounds better than the Opera Jan!
Now I will send it to it's creator to make it even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back