Review of Meier Audio Corda JAZZ with ƒƒ-technology upgrade
Oct 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #137 of 437
Late to reply but any Meier thread deserves a bump anyway :)

I use my Corda Jazz with AKG K501/701/712 which some might consider bright. I feel that this amplifier adds little to the sound, and I mean that in a good way. It just amplifies the source, I wouldn't call it warm, cool, dark, bright, etc.... it gives you clean sound and helps your headphones out with a little extra power.

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #139 of 437
The Corda Jazz isn't the most powerful amplifier out there. It pairs very well with easy to moderately difficult to drive headphones. I thought it paired well with my AKG K712s but less so with the high impedence K501s I have.

The G103 is rated at 1.1W at 50ohm which is a good bit more than the Corda Jazz.

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #140 of 437
The Corda Jazz isn't the most powerful amplifier out there. It pairs very well with easy to moderately difficult to drive headphones. I thought it paired well with my AKG K712s but less so with the high impedence K501s I have.

The G103 is rated at 1.1W at 50ohm which is a good bit more than the Corda Jazz.

would you go with g103 if you had he-500?

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #141 of 437
Yes definitely. I have the HE560 and I could turn the Corda Jazz all the way up on high gain and keep the headphones on my head. It was really loud, too loud to listen to for more than a few minutes... but that shows that I was running out of headroom.

My other amp, a Garage1217 Sunrise III does ~800mW at 50 ohm and it has plenty of power. So the g103 at 1100mW should work well.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #142 of 437
Dear headfellows,

"I have the HE560 and I could turn the Corda Jazz all the way up on high gain and keep the headphones on my head. It was really loud, too loud to listen to for more than a few minutes... but that shows that I was running out of headroom."

No, it doesn't mean that the JAZZ is running out of steam!!!

It simply means that the maximum gain-factor is medium only. And for good reasons. Lower maximum gain implies less background noises and lower distortion.

There is a clear difference between the maximum power that an amp can deliver (which is limited by the maximum current) and the maximum gain factor (which limits the maximum output voltage given a specific source)!!

The JAZZ really has no problems driving any headphone currently on the market (with the exception of electrostatics).

Cheers

Jan

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #143 of 437

Do yo know the output power of the Jazz at 50 ohms ? I thought it was as powerfull as the Classic but it seems to be a mistake.

Edit : Thanks to Mr Meier for his explanation. I didn't read it before posting, we were typing at the same moment.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #144 of 437
I see Jan, thank you for stepping in. I really have enjoyed my Corda Jazz.

@pasgod: part of the issue is that the Meier site lists "maximum output" of 15V / 300 mA. It's been a long long time since I took courses on this material so I didn't want to guess at how you do the math. (I came out at something like 2W at 50ohm but I could have been way off).

I understand now that the low gain is the cause for needing to really crank up the volume knob.

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #145 of 437
Dear headfellows,

with low impedance headphones the current limits the maximum output voltage.

300 mA into a 30 Ohm headphone gives 10V maximum (peak value).

With a 50 Ohm headphone the maximum output voltage of 15V is the real limit.

15V peak value into 50 Ohm gives you around 2 Watts / channel indeed.

That's enough to make your ears bleed.

Be aware that the maximum gain of the JAZZ is around a factor 6. An output voltage of 15V will only be reached with a stationary CD-player (2.8V maximum output voltage).

If your source has a much smaller output voltage, then this will limit the output voltage that can be reached with the JAZZ.

As you see, the answer is not easy,

:)

Jan

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #146 of 437
HI Jan,

Are you design optimized for a specific ouput voltage from the DAC or a CD player ?

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #147 of 437
It's not really possible to optimize performance for a specific source-voltage.

Listening habits (how loud do you hear) and efficiency of the headphones are important factors.

The only optimization is, that my portable amplifiers do have a higher gain factor than the stationary amps, since the latter are normally combined with stationary sources with higher output voltages.

Cheers

Jan

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #148 of 437
I still love my Jazz...and Jan Is my favorite non-german German.

There arent too many people I like sending money to, but he's one of them :)

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #150 of 437
Thanks for remind us those Jan.. Unfortunately for you and fortunately for me, I'm done for my headphone (except maybe I could make some attempt in electrostatics world one day ) but your deals are extremely interesting as usual !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back