Review of Hidizs AP100 portable HiFi music player
Jun 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #76 of 1,215
dx50/dx90 has the same function : volume controls both headphone out and line out. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #77 of 1,215
Confirmed, volume control works on LO and HO.

Also, unless there is a new firmware version I'm not aware of, on my AP100 using SRC doesn't change sound quality from LO.  Maybe just a tiny bit, but not the same as from HO.

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #79 of 1,215
Here's another AP100 impressions,

I got it couple days ago and I was playing with it all day. Love the look and feel of it but the UI is a little lagging. This is pretty common situation since it's only the first born. Future update should improve better UI. No problem with library update and no freeze either so far.

I am comparing AP100 and Fiio X5 side by side with HD650, HE400 and ATH M50. Occasionally I use Fiio E12 as an external amp.

The very first time I heard AP100 my thought was " hmm..it's not bad". It sounded good but not quite right. I let it burned a few hours and the sound seemed to improve.

AP100 sound quality seems on par with X5 in general they are clear, slightly warm, good dynamics and musical. However, there are a few things they quite differ.
AP100 has more sizzle in the mids/upper mids range and sparkles on top than X5. It also seems to have more quantity of bass and they tend to get a little loose and bloated sometimes. The bass extends pretty deep. When I listen to a song it doesn't seem to have any emphasize on a certain freq range. With X5 I can feel the middle range is presented better / more prominent than the rest of the frequency and also with more impact. It is maybe one member here describe it as "brutal". They both produce nice vocals and it feels smooth.
Now, the sound stage of AP100 is HUGE ! It is really wide and spatial on a higher sample rate.

With close listening a different sample rate I found:

16 /44 = lesser ideal sound. It has sort of a telephone FX quality Sound stage is narrow and small.
24/88.1= ideal sound comparable to X5. Good sound stage, depth and pretty good bass with open mids and highs.
24/96.2 = gets better with more sizzle and sparkle on top, wider, a bit more punch on the bass and the mids is really good. Also comparable with X5 except the sparkle and sizzle on top.
From 24/176.4 to 24/196, the structure of the sound will change so dramatically into a more high end kinda sound with even wider and more spacious sound stage. The instrument becomes very separated to the left and right, the vocal sits higher in the mix and it really sings to you too. It sounds crystal clear and very full. However the bass gets bigger and thicker as well.

For me, the ideal situation will be setting the SRC to 24/88.1 or 24/96 for most songs and use higher settings for big band, jazz and classical for more spacious feel.

I also notice when you unplug or plug a headphone jack on the unit it will stop playing and there is a few second delay before starts playing again. The SRC setting works both on HO and LO. The EQ section is okay.

Overall, AP100 sounds more polite compare to X5. The sizzle and sparkle at higher sample rate adds more air and excitement. If you're a sucker for a spacious sound stage this will be the one. The fact that you can play with a different sample rate in real time is really cool feature. It also has a lot of bass with higher rate.

Now, HD650 is known for being laid back, slightly dark and mellow with apparent treble roll off. Some people also think it has better bass respond than it's younger brother HD600. Paired with AP 100 I found it sounds bright enough to my ears with more bass respond. Higher sample rate the brighter. When paired with E12 as an external amp I found it sounds better through HO instead of LO. It really brings more energy and a bit more punch. The instruments seems more rounded and somehow beefy-er.

Jun 26, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #82 of 1,215
Now, here is something you guys might like lol!!!.  Since I don't have my leather case yet, I drag my AP100 without any "protection" :)  A day before yesterday, it slipped from my hand (about shoulder height) and dropped on concrete tile floor.  I almost had a heart attack as I saw it bounce from one corner to the other and landed right on the screen (and I didn't even put screen protector yet).  Screen is OK, AP100 works like a champ, and I only got a few scratches around corners with a bigger one (black finish came off a little bit) around one corner where power button is.

Bottom line, it took a nasty tumble on a concrete and survived!
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #83 of 1,215
Now, here is something you guys might like lol!!!.  Since I don't have my leather case yet, I drag my AP100 without any "protection" :)  A day before yesterday, it slipped from my hand (about shoulder height) and dropped on concrete tile floor.  I almost had a heart attack as I saw it bounce from one corner to the other and landed right on the screen (and I didn't even put screen protector yet).  Screen is OK, AP100 works like a champ, and I only got a few scratches around corners with a bigger one (black finish came off a little bit) around one corner where power button is.

Bottom line, it took a nasty tumble on a concrete and survived! :wink:

Man ....not LOL ...:p

Impressed that you are so cool about it ...I would cursing mad ....

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #84 of 1,215
Man ....not LOL ...
tongue.gif

Impressed that you are so cool about it ...I would cursing mad ....

Oh, I was cursing like mad for the whole day.  That's why I'm posting about it a day later
biggrin.gif

Would have been great if Hidizs guy come up with a silicone sleeve like with X5.  Not quite sure how practical leather case is since you need to keep it open to control the DAP.

Jun 26, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #85 of 1,215
Oh, I was cursing like mad for the whole day.  That's why I'm posting about it a day later :D

Would have been great if Hidizs guy come up with a silicone sleeve like with X5.  Not quite sure how practical leather case is since you need to keep it open to control the DAP.

I would look like this ...MAD

Jun 27, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #86 of 1,215
AP100 is the volume adjustment is made by adjusting the DAC (CS4398 ) output, and HO and LO after the DAC.The advantage is with the headphone impedance matching is good.The disadvantage is that there is a slight white noise at high sensitivity headphones.

Jun 27, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #88 of 1,215
For those of you who care about such things, I have info about the silver version.  I was just about to snatch one of these up when I noticed this pic on Ebay :

So I fired off an email to the Hidizs company and they informed me the silver version will be available from August.  

Probably of interest to everyone is that they responded within about 30 minutes.   

Jun 27, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #89 of 1,215
Just received the Hidizs player. Quick First impressions the SRC works very well. And contrary to what was said here it works with LO as well as HO. I hooked it up with my JDS LABS C5 and it sounds awesome. One funny thing though is that i can still adjust the volume on the player via LO. I thought this was not possible and only through the connected DAP. Anyone know why ?

Need more impressions please Jerryberry.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #90 of 1,215
  Firmware 066 and 067 already supports 128G (FAT32).

Hi Slyn, do you work for Hidizs?  If so, can you please let them know firmware download link is no longer available on the page: http://www.hidizs.com/EN/Support/Download/ I have 066 default fw, and would like to try out 067.

I just got back my 128GB sandisk card (after sandisk replaced it, failed controller), formated to FAT32 and it's recognized!!!!!!  Woo-hoo!!!!!!  I guess when I first tried it (I had default 066 firmware), maybe I didn't have FAT32 format.  But either way, here you go - 128GB microSD is supported!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back