Review of Fiio E11
Sep 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #61 of 75
Quote:
John Santana,

The difference between the Fiio E11 and the E7 or E17 is that the E11 is nothing but an amplifier - you feed it a signal from a source (like the headphone jack of an Android phone or through the Line Out connector on an iPod) then the E11 amplifies that signal and sends it out to your headphone.  The Fiio E7 and E17 also are amplifiers and can act just like the E11, but, the biggest difference is that they can also be DACs (Digital to Analog Converters) - this essentially means that they can act as external sound cards for your computer or (at least in terms of the E17) as an external sound decoder for anything that will output a digital signal, like a PS3's optical output or similar.  If you had a computer that had a horrible sound card, then the E17 might be ideal for you because you could bypass the internal sound card on the computer, use the E17 to decode the music and convert it into a signal that can be piped to your headphones.

I've got a full review and demonstration on the E17 here if you want to see what I'm talking about (I actually hook it up to my PS3):

Hope that helps!

ah yes, so DAC definitely makes the sound better for he PC / laptop, but from what I read is that DAC cannot be used while on the go with iPhone / iPod ?

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #62 of 75
That is MOSTLY true...there's a thread here on HeadFi somewhere that I was reading the other day where someone was able to jailbreak their iPhone 4S and buy some parts, buy an app, and do some other little things and was able to use an external DAC with the phone...going on to read more of that, it was mentioned that this was only capable with certain builds of the phone, etc.  So, to fully answer your question - it MIGHT be possible to use a DAC with your iPod/iPhone, but that's not 100% for certain without looking into all the aspects necessary.  

In the end, the Fiio E11 is a wonderful little amp, and if you use it with a LOD connector like the Fiio L3 and you'll be in great shape.  

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #63 of 75
Quote:
That is MOSTLY true...there's a thread here on HeadFi somewhere that I was reading the other day where someone was able to jailbreak their iPhone 4S and buy some parts, buy an app, and do some other little things and was able to use an external DAC with the phone...going on to read more of that, it was mentioned that this was only capable with certain builds of the phone, etc.  So, to fully answer your question - it MIGHT be possible to use a DAC with your iPod/iPhone, but that's not 100% for certain without looking into all the aspects necessary.  

In the end, the Fiio E11 is a wonderful little amp, and if you use it with a LOD connector like the Fiio L3 and you'll be in great shape.  

Wow, jailbreak is not my flavour mate.
However yes, I'm now starting to appreciate the use of my iPhone 4S DENON apps graphic equalizer + Fiio E11 and Fiio L3 into my Westone W4 IEMs, previously I've been using Fiio E1 into my Logitech UE700 but I cannot feel any difference in terms of sound quality.

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #64 of 75
Quote:
Gain doesn't increase power but sensitivity. There's a lo/hi power switch below the battery for that. Try low power under the battery (better balance) and high gain (less grain) on the side and see if you don't like the balance and treble quality better. Low gain and low power are not good together. Second best is high everything and 3rd is high power and low gain for me anyways. Basically, I like high gain always and with that setting prefer low power though I can understanding someone liking the extra warmth of High power. I think the differences are pretty apparent but it will be somewhat source and IEM dependant.

Wow I just knew it after I read this review that there is hidden switch to control the amplification power :)
so what are the differences between Low and High ?

I thought that if you switch it to low, then it means balance as in neutral no effect ? 

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #65 of 75
Quote:
the E11 is nothing but an amplifier - you feed it a signal from a source (like the headphone jack of an Android phone

It is my understanding that the E11 has USB out? Is that correct? If so, would it be possible, and if so, better, to connect the E11 to an Android phone such as the Galaxy S3 via that method rather than by 3.5mm? I think I've read that USB would bypass the Galaxy S3 amp, making for a cleaner signal to the headphones. I'd appreciate any and all comments/feedback on this, thanks.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #66 of 75
No mate, the mini USB is for charging only.

Quote:

It is my understanding that the E11 has USB out? Is that correct? If so, would it be possible, and if so, better, to connect the E11 to an Android phone such as the Galaxy S3 via that method rather than by 3.5mm? I think I've read that USB would bypass the Galaxy S3 amp, making for a cleaner signal to the headphones. I'd appreciate any and all comments/feedback on this, thanks.

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #68 of 75
:O I need one of these too! Got a JDS Labs cMoy BB 2.03 2x9V today, my Fiio E6 has more Sub [not by much] , the cMoy more mid bass detail and uh everything else, but my XB 700's [pure sub madness] need a bigger more SUB WHOOPIN amp so the E11 is still going to be tryed <3 BUT man this cMoy has some nice Detail! [or rather it does not have any bloating xD] 

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #69 of 75
What a night and day difference is this on highs and micro detail with the battery at High Power rather than Low Power (default)?
eek.gif

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #70 of 75
Quote:
What a night and day difference is this on highs and micro detail with the battery at High Power rather than Low Power (default)?
eek.gif

Ahh, well more power often is more clarity [all thing depending ofc]

still my Fiio E 11 came in today... time to do some comparisions gentle men! Just off the bat for a quick 25 second song comparision, 320 k off the Mega Dark Zune with the Darker XB 700s, they both had about the same Bass boost... so the Dt 880 will reveal the differances I'm sure! 

Also the E11 is TINY where as the cMoy is rather big :O I was expecting the E11 to well be bigger >.> 

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #73 of 75
Quote:
Definitely more clarity.

You know to be honest there was more clarity on the Xb 700 but on the Dt 880 the clarity came off as agrressive, the sound was rather... lacking full ness you know, in edition the E11 sounded rather crowded compared to the cMoy

BUT all in all the E11 has more aggressive bass and a little more clarity, which for me on a neutral can are nice... but well not really... the dt 880 is already so wonderfully neutral is can handle a little color very nicely! And by a little I mean JUST A TINY bit <3, the E11 has none it seems and so it makes the Dt 880 sound a little dull [duller than when it's unamped to sadly] And I think the crowding of the sound stage is due to the more aggressive warm bass... it adds a hint of darkness that's well not wanted to me

So the cMoy is a little more colored and well is Lush! Just a little bit of color to build upon the dt 880s nuetruality! Where as the E11 sounds rather crowded and artifical

Now for EDM the E11 beats the cMoy hands dwn, so if ur listen to alot of EDM pair the E11 with a Darker Can and Darker music as the aggression and almost coldness of the E11  is nice! But the highs r a little to cold and the bass is a little to warm... giving the E11 the Fiio a touch of darkness

So there you have it, E11 EDM, cMoy Rock, Jazz Classical! Or better yet

E11 BOOM BOOM bass, cMoy WHOOM WHOOM bass <3

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #75 of 75
Quote:
Interesting comparison :)

I hope so

one thing also

The cMoy is VERY SCARY when the batteries get low... it sounds like your broke it >.>

Where as the E11 when the batteries r low well it DIES and doesn't turn back on... the cMoy like to work for 2mins then turn into crap sound >.> (it like to screw with ur hopes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back