Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Jun 25, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #3,031 of 3,060
Okay, time to revive this old thread. 2 years ago I was pretty torn between SE846 and IM04, after lots of sleepless night and thread browsing, I decided that I'd go for the 846 without hearing either since there's no headphone shop near my place.

Fast forward 2 years, I'm still satisfied with SE846 until I tried one of my friends' IM04 at his place a month ago. To be completely honest, I enjoyed it way more than my SE846. My biggest gripe about 846 is the following:

1)soundstage. 846's Achille's heel. No matter what I pair it with it always sound very in-your-head, which quickly leads to fatigue.

2)treble. The only thing white filter does is to boost mid-treble to treble by 3dB. It helps alleviate the dark sound signature but doesn't completely solve the problem. Plus it makes the 846 sound unnatural, if its engineered with default filter in mind then anything will sound unnatural. So far I've tried swapping cable (OCC cable), rolling tips (Westone tips) to little avail. Silver cable makes 846 super bright and I definitely won't sacrifice that much bass for a little more treble sparkle.

Here's what I like about 846 tho:

1) Source insensitive. My 846 sounds just as good on an iPhone as it does on my iDSD BL and Nuwave+RNHP. The latter two exhibit more control but that's about it, not a night and day difference. I'd venture to say that SE846 is about 95% there with an iPhone. Absolutely end-game stuff if you don't want to invest in any source.

2) Impedance insensitive. 846's very consistent across all sources. Though it's only 9 ohms in impedance it doesn't mind too much output impedance. It will hiss pretty bad on high-power sources but bass roll-off is never a worry.

3) Bass. 846's subwoofers feature a long waveguide that act much the same way as a transmission line. Because of this very reason bass extension and texture is unparalleled. I wouldn't say it sounds like a DD but it has its own appeal.

My impression with the IM04 is with my friend's DX200.

First of all, it tackles two biggest problems SE846 has. I wouldn't call the soundstage wide, but it does sound much more open than the 846, much less muffled with more pronounced vocals. And its treble is not as rolled-off. Not what I'd call bright, or even neutral as IM04's treble isn't that prominent, but just the right amount to lure me in.

The biggest surprise however, comes from its vocal performance. This IEM is absolutely stellar for vocals. The first moment I put it on and played my favorite vocal track, it put a dopey smile on my face. My, this IEM screams ASIAN! Not in a racist sense of course, but it just sounds more reserved and polite than other IEMs I've heard coming from European manufacturers. Vocals as a result, sound more delicate and lush, with a nice sparkle on top. It gives all my songs with female vocals an other-worldly touch as if the singers sing without a care in the world. This is a quality that I didn't know I want but now that I've heard it, I don't think I can live without this IEM again.

I'm gonna get one, really soon.

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #3,032 of 3,060
Two more things tho:

IM04 scales like crazy, we're talking HD600-level crazy here. Very low efficiency (101dB), coupled with low impedance makes finding the right source pretty finicky. It sounds really anemic on an iPhone, improves rather dramatically on a DX200 and sounds absolutely bonkers on my Nuwave+RNHP combo. The desktop setup improves every aspect imaginable: soundstage, imaging, bass, you name it, and to my surprise it sounds even more transparent than on a good DAP. SE846 can never even dream of this level of transparency, and sounds muffled in comparison.

IM04 is very source dependent. Pretty much the same point as above, except that its very impedance sensitive. Sources with output impedance above 2 ohms makes the 04 sound weird with very rolled-off bass and dark treble. Chemistry is key and sometimes the 04 doesn't sound its best even with excellent source, whereas the 846 will always sound nice given that you can get rid of the hiss.

In the end, I think its an IEM that performs miles better if you pair it with a desktop source. Definitely odd if you ask me, but the improvement is jaw-dropping.

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #3,033 of 3,060
Okay, time to revive this old thread. 2 years ago I was pretty torn between SE846 and IM04, after lots of sleepless night and thread browsing, I decided that I'd go for the 846 without hearing either since there's no headphone shop near my place.

Fast forward 2 years, I'm still satisfied with SE846 until I tried one of my friends' IM04 at his place a month ago. To be completely honest, I enjoyed it way more than my SE846. My biggest gripe about 846 is the following:

1)soundstage. 846's Achille's heel. No matter what I pair it with it always sound very in-your-head, which quickly leads to fatigue.

2)treble. The only thing white filter does is to boost mid-treble to treble by 3dB. It helps alleviate the dark sound signature but doesn't completely solve the problem. Plus it makes the 846 sound unnatural, if its engineered with default filter in mind then anything will sound unnatural. So far I've tried swapping cable (OCC cable), rolling tips (Westone tips) to little avail. Silver cable makes 846 super bright and I definitely won't sacrifice that much bass for a little more treble sparkle.

Here's what I like about 846 tho:

1) Source insensitive. My 846 sounds just as good on an iPhone as it does on my iDSD BL and Nuwave+RNHP. The latter two exhibit more control but that's about it, not a night and day difference. I'd venture to say that SE846 is about 95% there with an iPhone. Absolutely end-game stuff if you don't want to invest in any source.

2) Impedance insensitive. 846's very consistent across all sources. Though it's only 9 ohms in impedance it doesn't mind too much output impedance. It will hiss pretty bad on high-power sources but bass roll-off is never a worry.

3) Bass. 846's subwoofers feature a long waveguide that act much the same way as a transmission line. Because of this very reason bass extension and texture is unparalleled. I wouldn't say it sounds like a DD but it has its own appeal.

My impression with the IM04 is with my friend's DX200.

First of all, it tackles two biggest problems SE846 has. I wouldn't call the soundstage wide, but it does sound much more open than the 846, much less muffled with more pronounced vocals. And its treble is not as rolled-off. Not what I'd call bright, or even neutral as IM04's treble isn't that prominent, but just the right amount to lure me in.

The biggest surprise however, comes from its vocal performance. This IEM is absolutely stellar for vocals. The first moment I put it on and played my favorite vocal track, it put a dopey smile on my face. My, this IEM screams ASIAN! Not in a racist sense of course, but it just sounds more reserved and polite than other IEMs I've heard coming from European manufacturers. Vocals as a result, sound more delicate and lush, with a nice sparkle on top. It gives all my songs with female vocals an other-worldly touch as if the singers sing without a care in the world. This is a quality that I didn't know I want but now that I've heard it, I don't think I can live without this IEM again.

I'm gonna get one, really soon.

I just bought ATH-IM03 recently and I very much preferred this over SE846 as well, the soundstage is wider and SE846 has too much emphasis on bass which is not into my liking (I tend to listen more instrumental music).

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #3,037 of 3,060
Which one is better for female vocals I'm04 or e70? I like forward aand airy vocals with good bass impact, whick
One is better of the two ?
Just in case you haven't got the answer for that, definitely the IM04.

Sorry for resurrecting this dead thread, but just gotta share the joy I had after getting the IM04, I started my IEM journey with a black IM50, it's just fitting that I ended up always dreaming for the flagship And must say it clearly doesn't disappoint!

And also.got a deal of pretty new IM02 going for $120, is that a good one?with it, a lot of AT lately, maybe a bit of collections restructuring is in order soon...

One note, after reading and thinking it through, I completely agree with OP's opinion with the IM04, It feel like a complete upgrade over the entry lvls, IM50 and 70, all three play well on the same genre, pop, modern music, I don't love my IM50 because the bass gets a bit too intrusive at times, but still left it with good impression on my mind, the IM04 sounds just like what I wanted, it's very complementary to my XBA A3's V shaped energetic sound, I just need to add the IM02 to be my transparency, detail and neutrality benchmark and I'm totally set in IEM for a while.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #3,038 of 3,060
img_20190223_152714.jpg

Right... Basically just did An AT buying Spree, picked the IM02 because it's not that different from the LS200, and LS model just doesn't seem to take off as well as IM did. Will probably do comparisons in my blog after I had some free time.

Feb 28, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #3,039 of 3,060
can anyone tell me what's the included cable are made of? Silver plated copper? just OFC?
was asking because the 2nd hand IM04 I ought, came with a silver cable, and man it changed the sound, too much, either IM02 or IM04, they becomes brittle, less defined, and shrill, I'm asking now to the previous owner what its exactly from, Silver plated Copper r Pure Silver, but man, gonna try looking for a new one made from a copper bae... I want to at least for i to retain the same Sound Quality with the included one...
Any recommendation form here for the material?
Why the hek the IM series is so sensitive to changes? does the cable impedance affect the driver or something?

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #3,040 of 3,060
IM03 > MMCX adapter > Null Audio Vitesse Copper (Warmish, full sounding and smooth as per characteristic of copper)
Now using them with AT-HDC5 cables :slight_smile: (Balance, high freq and positioning improved)

*edit, oh and an overkill setup: QP2R > ifi idsd BL > Apex Peak / Volcano 6SN7 tubes > IM03
Holy hell a full-sized IM03. Extraordinary.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #3,041 of 3,060
Where do you get an ath IM->MMCX adapter?

May 20, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #3,042 of 3,060
Where do you get an ath IM->MMCX adapter?
I'm afraid Willow Audio from Taobao had stopped producing the adapters for IM series. Very durable adapters (hard acrylic) as compared to other sellers there.

Apr 9, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #3,044 of 3,060
Wow Im01 with filter removed and Sony hybrid tips was game changer for me,

Bass was become really life-like, almost like change from hard electric bass into Timpani bass-like,

the most surprise is Mid and treble, instead of piecing with filter remove, no not at all , it was more natural with bell tone clarity and really 3D like imagine,
made stock tips + filter sound was like hi-fi headphone versus reference audiophile headphone.

also soundstage was very round around my head after remove filter too, before I can only feel it like limit by flat board!!

I can proudly say it was true 'very unique opened bell tone natural sound' of Im01 that was limit and change with filter and stock tips on!!

it was like changing soul from 'Happy Princess with blue bird' into 'Happy princess that was never liar and fall in love with plenty of blue bird' now~

I think I'm more than satisfied with this than im02 + upgrade cable in my memories now~

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #3,045 of 3,060
Im01 with filter removed and sony hybrid tips was the most unique clarity sound i ever come accross,

I feel really relieve and at ease when listen to this happy and honestly beautiful princess that was never liar the most,

even your parent are liar to you sometime let's aside your girlfriend or wife,

even IM02 that was like the most 'beautiful goddess' can hidden something from you,

even e70 that was like 'real mona lisa' but no one can guarantee if she was liar to you sometime or not,

but this princess was just feel.... I can only honestly with you... never liar.... I rather die than liar to you~ even happiness or sadness~~ always made me smile even before even into the zone of music.

of course it was not have bass and treble extension of im02 or e70, it was still the most honestly sound and made up with unique bell tone clarity

that why this honestly princess will always in my heart forever~

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back