Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Sep 18, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #2,896 of 3,060
I'm reading amazing things about the MeeAudio Pinnacle P1. If it's half as good as they say, it should easily trounce the IM02 and the IM70... and I'm a big fan of the IM70.

If you are a big fan of IM70 you'd better check CKR9. I haven't heard the P1 though.

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #2,897 of 3,060
I've been following this thread for a while now, still couldn't decide whether to buy IM-02 or IM-70..

Budgetwise, IM-03/04 were out of my list.

I'm not a bass head, and my playlist mostly consist of rock and vocal (male) songs.

Out of those two option above, kindly appreciated if anyone could put other brand/type for comparison (same budget range).

My last iem was shure 215spe, can't really say i'm enjoying the sound, still prefer my tenore, and i'm using ibasso dzero and aune t1 MK2 as the DAC/Amp.

I think you better go with IM02 because it absolutely shine in vocal, while IM70 bass are a bit overwhelming for me who is not a basshead.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #2,898 of 3,060
I've been following this thread for a while now, still couldn't decide whether to buy IM-02 or IM-70..

I'm not a bass head, and my playlist mostly consist of rock and vocal (male) songs.

Out of those two option above, kindly appreciated if anyone could put other brand/type for comparison (same budget range).

My last iem was shure 215spe, can't really say i'm enjoying the sound, still prefer my tenore, and i'm using ibasso dzero and aune t1 MK2 as the DAC/Amp.
Good question, the IM02 is clarity king amongst all my pairs. But that's the only part I personally think it's good at. If you enjoy subbass slam and huge sound and stage you should look elsewhere since these are part where the IM02 mostly lacks at. Hence why some quoted it as "flat" or "neutral". My personal favourite for rock and bassy tracks is the RHA MA750i, I would highly recommend you checking it out, the sound signature is very similar to se215 except it's in whole other level.

Also depends on how and where you want to use it, the IM02 shines when you just want to sit, relax, and analyse the music. Not so much when you're constantly moving or on the move or when there's so much background noise.

If you can, I highly suggest you to audition them before you buy one 'cause my words really mean nothing since we all have different preferences.

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #2,899 of 3,060

I'd suggest IM70 if you like vocals. IM02 could sound too dry in the midrange and vocals after Shure SE215.

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #2,900 of 3,060
I will say, with upgrade cable like HDC5 im70 is nothing compared to im02,aside from that bloat bass, is really has that much more potential.

Ps.I'm female vocal head myself.

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #2,901 of 3,060
I will say, with upgrade cable like HDC5 im70 is nothing compared to im02,aside from that bloat bass, is really has that much more potential.

Ps.I'm female vocal head myself.

Do you have any idea how much HDC5 cable alone sells for bro? :wink:

I'm quite sure that it will improve the sound of any IM series not to mention the IM70.

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #2,902 of 3,060
Do you have any idea how much HDC5 cable alone sells for bro? :wink:

I'm quite sure that it will improve the sound of any IM series not to mention the IM70.

You maybe not know until you try it yourself mate, to see how much it improve much more over on a higher IM series model, I mean really dramatically change and a lot of improvement.

In a while IM04 has big sound and fullest out of it family, probably best iem ath ever made in term of technicial, and now it clearance sale as low as 40% price drop in my region!, how blessing i'm to not selling off my HDC5 alongside im70,fwir it change from warm dull to as bright as im03,

anyway i'm pretty confident if there offer hdc5 as stock cable then im03/04 must be sale like a hotcake, that just how good is it.

Sep 20, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #2,903 of 3,060
I'm reading amazing things about the MeeAudio Pinnacle P1. If it's half as good as they say, it should easily trounce the IM02 and the IM70... and I'm a big fan of the IM70.

great reviews indeed, but quite hard to find in my country, the only online store here that sold it has no stock.

I think you better go with IM02 because it absolutely shine in vocal, while IM70 bass are a bit overwhelming for me who is not a basshead.

Good question, the IM02 is clarity king amongst all my pairs. But that's the only part I personally think it's good at. If you enjoy subbass slam and huge sound and stage you should look elsewhere since these are part where the IM02 mostly lacks at. Hence why some quoted it as "flat" or "neutral". My personal favourite for rock and bassy tracks is the RHA MA750i, I would highly recommend you checking it out, the sound signature is very similar to se215 except it's in whole other level.

Also depends on how and where you want to use it, the IM02 shines when you just want to sit, relax, and analyse the music. Not so much when you're constantly moving or on the move or when there's so much background noise.

If you can, I highly suggest you to audition them before you buy one 'cause my words really mean nothing since we all have different preferences.

nice suggestion, but i had problem with audition, i live in a quite remote place and took me a while to get to the capital, i live in indonesia FYI.
can't say that i'm enjoying the sound of se215spe, i use it mostly because of it's great isolation.

heard about RHA MA750/i, great built and so many accesories, yet i prefer over-ear type, and this RHA MA750 seems to be heavy.

I'd suggest IM70 if you like vocals. IM02 could sound too dry in the midrange and vocals after Shure SE215.

hard to imagine, so many reviews said that IM02 has outstanding vocal, and just getting more confused cause i've tried neither. not to mention i can't go to audition 'em.

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #2,904 of 3,060
  great reviews indeed, but quite hard to find in my country, the only online store here that sold it has no stock.

nice suggestion, but i had problem with audition, i live in a quite remote place and took me a while to get to the capital, i live in indonesia FYI.
can't say that i'm enjoying the sound of se215spe, i use it mostly because of it's great isolation.

heard about RHA MA750/i, great built and so many accesories, yet i prefer over-ear type, and this RHA MA750 seems to be heavy.

hard to imagine, so many reviews said that IM02 has outstanding vocal, and just getting more confused cause i've tried neither. not to mention i can't go to audition 'em.

Let me make it easier for you.

The IM02 is analytical. While it is outstanding in vocals, guitar and etc it's overall sound character is 'dry' or 'boring' and doesn't have the weight to it.
It mostly lacks bass or sub bass and the mids is so 'in your face' that if you're not used to it it can sometimes get claustrophobic. And one important thing, if you are coming from dynamic and enjoy the sound of dynamic in ears you will more likely find the IM02 unappealing. If you enjoy modern music I don't really recommend the IM02.

About the MA750, No they're not that heavy due it it's over ear design most of the weight are well distributed. But the cable is very long and quite cumbersome to deal with. 

You might also want to look at the DUNU Titans, I personally have the 1 and 5 but I basically just got them so cant really say much at this point.

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #2,905 of 3,060
Let me make it easier for you.

The IM02 is analytical. While it is outstanding in vocals, guitar and etc it's overall sound character is 'dry' or 'boring' and doesn't have the weight to it.
It mostly lacks bass or sub bass and the mids is so 'in your face' that if you're not used to it it can sometimes get claustrophobic. And one important thing, if you are coming from dynamic and enjoy the sound of dynamic in ears you will more likely find the IM02 unappealing. If you enjoy modern music I don't really recommend the IM02.

About the MA750, No they're not that heavy due it it's over ear design most of the weight are well distributed. But the cable is very long and quite cumbersome to deal with. 

You might also want to look at the DUNU Titans, I personally have the 1 and 5 but I basically just got them so cant really say much at this point.

That what i like about im02, I'm not a bass head so i prefer quality bass of im02, i must admit that it can sound dry or boring, but the game change with HDC5, I will say everything is a LOT improve over stock one, dynamic became much better and take vocal to another level that I never dream to hope for, I say is sound so sweet ethereal clear and very clean ,vocal just the best of it class just after SE846, and if you match it well like AK100ii>im02+HDC5 it can sound way much beyond pricepoint,

Anyway, I very much recommend it to a Vocal head and who like analytical outstanding sound.

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #2,906 of 3,060

nice suggestion, but i had problem with audition, i live in a quite remote place and took me a while to get to the capital, i live in indonesia FYI

you live in Indonesia? P1 is in stock at AliExpress.com use payment method Dokuwallet.com. The P1 is much cheaper than im02 :wink:
And MA750 has extreme V shaped sound... The vocal always sounds Hollow out of that one. I don't like it.

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #2,907 of 3,060
you live in Indonesia? P1 is in stock at AliExpress.com use payment method Dokuwallet.com. The P1 is much cheaper than im02 :wink:
And MA750 has extreme V shaped sound... The vocal always sounds Hollow out of that one. I don't like it.
Pinnacle P1 is also a great contender I am considering getting one myself. Although I personally never tried it but someone mentioned their signature is similar to IM02 so I can only imagine how mids centric it is.

About the MA750, I don't fully agree with you. It's dark sounding that's a fact but I think because it does not have that extended treble others might have you perceived it as "extremely V shaped". Fun fact the MA750 and the DUNU TITAN 1 has pretty much the same bass thump. But like I said, it's not as trebly.
The big soundstage, great imaging, and the subbass made the MA750 perfectly suited for a metalhead like myself.
I think it's also well suited for modern music thus making it more versatile for most genres.
The IM02 on the other hand, it dulls other genres except jazz,vocals and acoustics where it really shines. And frankly, jazz is where I use them most.

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #2,908 of 3,060
Difference music collection, different needs I guess... I don't listen to metal and more of a vocal lover. Tried the MA750 on few separate occasions and it just sucks the life out of the music I try on it. I do agree that its sub bass reach and highs extension is something for an IEM though, just not my type of signature

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #2,909 of 3,060
The MA 750 sounded muddy to me but then again i love crispy sound.

The RHA T20 are somewhat on par with my CKR9. The T20 has slighly less crisp treble but also slightly larger soundstage to me.

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #2,910 of 3,060
Anyone using a Chord Mojo with IM-04? Could you please write a small review on the sound.  Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back