Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Sep 18, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #2,311 of 3,060
Hi earfonia,

Just wanted to send a personal thanks for your review ! its very detailed in the descriptions and it helps assist with the selection of choice, not after I have managed to test them out myself.

As I just started of I'm more of an audio enthusiast, but I have been a sound man for about 13 years, started since I was quite young (Primary school) never regretted since. Just love the process it involves. I'm quite a geek when it comes to tech so headphones/ear buds seems just right up my alley.

Once again thank you for a detailed review that made some sense to what I was trying to describe from testing the IM series by ATH.
I got the ATH-IM70 and it has been serving me well :)

Cheers!

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #2,312 of 3,060
Thank you so much Tom22. I just got them in mail and oh boy what a difference in sound and comfort. My new favourite tips now.
smily_headphones1.gif

glad it helped you out, they give a good length for any shallow fitting earphone =)

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #2,313 of 3,060
  Hi earfonia,

Just wanted to send a personal thanks for your review ! its very detailed in the descriptions and it helps assist with the selection of choice, not after I have managed to test them out myself.

As I just started of I'm more of an audio enthusiast, but I have been a sound man for about 13 years, started since I was quite young (Primary school) never regretted since. Just love the process it involves. I'm quite a geek when it comes to tech so headphones/ear buds seems just right up my alley.

Once again thank you for a detailed review that made some sense to what I was trying to describe from testing the IM series by ATH.
I got the ATH-IM70 and it has been serving me well :)

Cheers!

You're most welcome!
Glad it helps!

Sep 21, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #2,314 of 3,060
So I decided to get the ATH-IM02 after reading this review. I just received it yesterday and today I started to notice that the left side has a buzzing/electrical noise, like those you hear when your phone is close to the radio or something.

When I touch the earphone while playing it buzzes even louder, sometimes it doesn't. It only happens when the song reaches a loud part like a bass drop or loud guitar playing. It only happens on the left side, right side is totally fine even when I touch it or not. I tried it with my previous Audio Technica CKX5iS and it was fine.

I tried it on my iPhones 5s, MacBook Pro Retina 2015, with a FiiO E7 plugged and unplugged on both. I tried it on 320kbps MP3s, normal 16-bit FLACs and also 24-bit high-res FLACs.

Could it be a faulty set? If so is there a way to confirm it? Help me out here guys. Thanks.

Also this is the thread I opened. Just thought I might get more audience here.

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #2,315 of 3,060
So I decided to get the ATH-IM02 after reading this review. I just received it yesterday and today I started to notice that the left side has a buzzing/electrical noise, like those you hear when your phone is close to the radio or something.

When I touch the earphone while playing it buzzes even louder, sometimes it doesn't. It only happens when the song reaches a loud part like a bass drop or loud guitar playing. It only happens on the left side, right side is totally fine even when I touch it or not. I tried it with my previous Audio Technica CKX5iS and it was fine.

I tried it on my iPhones 5s, MacBook Pro Retina 2015, with a FiiO E7 plugged and unplugged on both. I tried it on 320kbps MP3s, normal 16-bit FLACs and also 24-bit high-res FLACs.

Could it be a faulty set? If so is there a way to confirm it? Help me out here guys. Thanks.

Sounds like a faulty unit, the housing is plastic or acrylic of material, so it doesn't really shield the internal crossover and components from EFI/RFI. But there gotta be something more than that.

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #2,316 of 3,060

Sounds like it. I don't hear this buzzing on my wife's IM02. I've tried on it on several sources, too. You might want to get it replaced?

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #2,317 of 3,060
Sounds like a faulty unit, the housing is plastic or acrylic of material, so it doesn't really shield the internal crossover and components from EFI/RFI. But there gotta be something more than that.

Sounds like it. I don't hear this buzzing on my wife's IM02. I've tried on it on several sources, too. You might want to get it replaced?

Sent it back to Audio Technica. They confirmed the problem and they're sending me a new one tomorrow!

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #2,321 of 3,060
Besides Lunashop is there any other place to buy cables? Preferably a Westone style braided type. I have had 3 cables from Lunashop. Rather pay more for something in the US and nicer.

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #2,322 of 3,060
I am having hard time deciding between one of these Audio Technica or Shure SE215 or SE425. I wil be using it with an iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. I am looking to use while commuting to and from work on a train and bus every day. Noise isolation is an important factor.

I recently purchased the Beats Wireless Studio 2, I love the sound but find it hard to use for a long period of time because of its size. I will be keeping it as my main listening device at home.

Which one of these can replicate the sound of Beats Wireless Studio 2?

I listen to wide variety of music from pop, rock and easy listening. The music I am currently listening to include artists like Madonna, Justin Biber, Sia, Will I Am, Lionel Ritchie, Elvis, Phill Collins, Ellie Goulding, George Michael, the Pretenders, Prince,Sade, Rihanna, Sam Smih, Simply Red, Tears for Fears, Chris Brown, Jay Z, sound tracks from About Time, the Judge, the Prometheus etc.

Thanking you in advance.

Oct 7, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #2,324 of 3,060
Im-50 is dynamic, and so dynamic drivers have vent ports. These vent ports allow outside sound to leak in, which result in less isolation. BA drivers need no vent ports. So it seals better and isolate better, if isolation was the priority.

Oct 7, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #2,325 of 3,060
I say get the IM03. All BA drivers, no vents, good isolation, FANTASTIC sound. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back