Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Aug 31, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #2,296 of 3,060
  Does anyone have both the im02 and the im70? In direct comparison, which one has more sibilance or upper midrange harshness? Which one will work with poor quality files? I am coming from the BA200 and I find that nothing sounds harsh with them.

Thanks!

IM02 will be more revealing, and will let you hear sibilant when there is sibilant in the recordings.  IM70 is smoother and more forgiving, the better choice for poor quality recordings.

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #2,297 of 3,060
@earfonia How is treble extension on the Im02's?As i was going through several reviews of the Im02, I have noticed several people saying that the im02's have a blunt or roled of treble.How bad is it?Does it at the very least have adequate sparkle

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #2,298 of 3,060
Does anybody know of any fakes or counterfeits in the ATH-IM series (specifically the IM03)?

I'm looking to save a little by importing from eBay or Amazon Third Party.  I haven't found anything mentioning fakes yet online, but wanted to ask here.  If so, I may just have to bite the price/sales tax bullet and go straight from Amazon itself.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #2,300 of 3,060
I would say to go with Amazon, because then if you find out that you dislike it, you can return it ? Assuming you are in the states.
biggrin.gif

I don't know any fakes one, but who knows ?

Thanks.  I'm not too concerned about not liking them, as I've done lots of research and think they're a great match for what I'm looking for.  I'll probably go with the import method to save a little, and will inspect them carefully, since there's no real evidence of fakes yet.  I'm guessing they're not mainstream/consumer enough to be worth faking

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #2,301 of 3,060
Hi guys, any idea where can I buy replacement filters for ATH-IM02?

cheers

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #2,302 of 3,060
Hi guys, any idea where can I buy replacement filters for ATH-IM02?

cheers

You cannot unfortunately! Just stick a piece of earbud foam inside the nozzle. That may help.

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #2,303 of 3,060
You may be able to send them into Audio Technica for repair.

I'm not sure how you would go about doing that, though. Contact them and find out.

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #2,304 of 3,060
Well, for a moment I thought I would go ahead and sell my 04...but I changed my mind...whenever I picked it up and give it a listen.

1/ It is a 4 BA drivers that doesn't sound like neither BA nor Dynamic....(no ears pearcing sibilant, no sticking, plastic kind of bass decay/body, slamming bass with great low-end, excellent decays to reveal that real housing resonances)....details retrieval are superbly and realistic. Even though it is tuned to get the vocal a bit recessed in with bass stand out a little more than trebles (1.75 bass, 1.25 vocal, 1.5 trebles) or so, the details overall is very realistic, enough brightness, warmer, smooth and musical.

2/ vocals have so much air and energy....but it is a bit recessed (lower in volume power compare to bass and trebles), which makes me turn the volume up in order to enjoy it....

3/ It stated 15-20khz respond, but I tested it with ZX2 and it turned out that it could go as low as 10hz with eases.

Now this, again is on stock cables.

04 is an expert quality :)

Today I made some very comfortable ear tips for myself. Very good in preserving bass/trebles with that thick inner cores, noise isolation at max that can be obtained from (ear tips) due to that super soft comfy memory foams...it also reduce any movement noises (which u gets with silicone tips)

Wide open bores for maximized sonic quality playback achievements from the phones.

The mods went like

1/ 50 pairs of earplugs bought from wallgreen which states 32db noise reduction rating
2/ Scotch scrape booker glue
3/ unused comply foam T500

A/ cut the earplugs in halves
B/ peel off the outside foams from comply tips clean and clear
C/ use a bamboo chopsticks or anything that can help you stabilize the bores
D/ Use tweezers and or small scissors to induce the middle hole about the size of the Comply bores, a little smaller is better (we will stretch it out and pull it in over the bores)
E/ apply enough Scotch glues on the bores
F/ stretch the earplugs foam, and pull it on over the bores
G/ cut and trim excessive foams for better appeal, if you care :D
Let's dry in 2 hours and Voila, your best and top foam tips possible

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #2,305 of 3,060
I'm glad you changed your mind on selling them. I'm keeping my IM03, even though I've moved passed them with the JH Audio Siren Series - Angie. I just can't get rid of the 03. What will happen if my Angie breaks or gets stolen? I must have a fall-back pair that I love to death. That is the ATH-IM03 to me. And that is probably what the IM04 is to you.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #2,306 of 3,060
Well, for a moment I thought I would go ahead and sell my 04...but I changed my mind...whenever I picked it up and give it a listen.

Out of curiosity, what were you planning to replace the IM04 with? 
smile.gif

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #2,309 of 3,060
I recently taken a look at the AD01, which i think might satisfy some Im70 owners, looking for a bit more extension down low, and a bit more energy up top. 

still working on my im70 review, but heres a short comparison with the im70s and the ad01

http://www.head-fi.org/products/alpha-delta-ad01/reviews/13976

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #2,310 of 3,060
hey guys i figured i share this with you guys!

i got these today

i think this is a fantastic solution for any im50, im70, im01,im02,im03,im04 ttpod t1e, brainwavz r3 (basically any earphone that has a really fat or wide nozzle) (trying them on my dunu titan 1s now)  and need them (the tips and the stem) to be a bit longer

you can get in whatever size you need them. With this eartip you don't need to make a stem mod, just slip them in on the the long/short wide nozzle and your good to go

i'm not affiliated with these guys in any way, just figured i'd share this info, for anyone having issues with the fit on the im70

also this eartip (which is essentially the brainwavz s0 eartip but in blue) 

is a wide bore (perfect with the im70, in opening the sound and lessening the bass ) , with a stiffer inner silicone core (hybrid) so it holds it shape well and doesn't stretch (overstretch over the nozzle)

you can also look on ebay for any other eartips that look and seem similar and i would think it could work well as well.

oh and btw THEIR SOO CHEAP FOR SO MANY PAIRS!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-10-pcs-REPLACEMENT-SILICONE-IN-EAR-EARPHONE-TIPS-EARBUDS-SENNHEISER-CX300/141721545729?_trksid=p3693.c100102.m2452&_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140212121249%26meid%3D544ddae0487643e190cee2c632d653ab%26pid%3D100102%26

Thank you so much Tom22. I just got them in mail and oh boy what a difference in sound and comfort. My new favourite tips now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back