Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
May 24, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #1,981 of 3,060
N00b question, but what does that mean?

May 24, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #1,982 of 3,060
  N00b question, but what does that mean?

OFC is oxygen free cable, the upgrade cable sold audio tech is using OFC.

OCC is ohno continuous cast, a special manufacturing process that making the eliminate all grain boundaries in copper or silver with a unique patented process.

May 25, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #1,983 of 3,060
Further impressions of my IM03s:

I tragically short-changed them on my initial review. Their sound is so clear, wide and layered, they murder my X7is. The more I listen, the more my music comes alive. The X7s are great for what they are, but they're out-gunned... by the power of three.

Also, the bass impresses me to no end.

When I retired my Klipsch R6m, I made a statement that I sought clarity and detail more than big bass. The X7 had good and interesting lows, and I was satisfied.

But sweet god! These IM03s have subs like I didn't think was possible in IEMs. It's wide and deep, textured and oh so fulfilling. I don't know how they do it.

PS. I've been listening to them on my Maverick D1+ tonight, and they don't sound messy. I don't know what I was hearing that first time. Maybe its just the Sony Hybrid tips, or maybe before I didn't have them in right. Either way, they might sound even better on the D1 as opposed to the DragonFly.

May 26, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #1,984 of 3,060
Do the Lunashop cables really take 20-35 days to deliver in the US?

May 26, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #1,985 of 3,060
Do the Lunashop cables really take 20-35 days to deliver in the US?

Lunashops does take about 30 days with thier orders. It's pretty common.

Best to order and forget for a while.

I waited 30+ days for a few sets of tips once, when they arrived they'd sent small instead of large. :xf_eek:

May 26, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #1,986 of 3,060
Well, in thirty days I shall be either terribly happy, or exquisitely disappointed.

I ordered the silver-plated OFC with mic/remote:
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4402Audio%20Technica%20AT-HDC5/1.2

After putting in at least 20 hours during my holiday, and having them in all day at work today, I want a little more comfort from the cable. And I grew very accustomed to having a remote in my X7i. 
wink.gif

If there is any upgrade to the sound, I'll call that a plus.

I am surprised I was able to keep my IM03s in all day. A few adjustments here and there, and periodically taking them out for a few minutes, was all my ears required. I didn't even grow fatigued by the sound, which often happened after only half a day with my Klipsch. The IM03s are brighter, so I feared hearing fatigue after long hours. Yet by the end of the day, I still wanted more music. 
beyersmile.png

Listened to Metallica S&M, both disks. Then I went mellow for a few hours with Norah Jones. I ended the day listening to Lady Gaga. Everything sounded great.

May 30, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #1,987 of 3,060
  Well, in thirty days I shall be either terribly happy, or exquisitely disappointed.

After putting in at least 20 hours during my holiday, and having them in all day at work today, I want a little more comfort from the cable. And I grew very accustomed to having a remote in my X7i. 
wink.gif

I am surprised I was able to keep my IM03s in all day. A few adjustments here and there, and periodically taking them out for a few minutes, was all my ears required. I didn't even grow fatigued by the sound, which often happened after only half a day with my Klipsch. The IM03s are brighter, so I feared hearing fatigue after long hours. Yet by the end of the day, I still wanted more music. 
beyersmile.png

Listened to Metallica S&M, both disks. Then I went mellow for a few hours with Norah Jones. I ended the day listening to Lady Gaga. Everything sounded great.

i hope the lunashops cable gives better results with your IM-03 than it did with my IM-02..

i received mine two days ago, and it was a big disappointment! the sound is "muddy", the highs sound veiled and the clarity is gone.
at first, i was afraid that something was wrong with my hearing, because prior testing the cable i was testing the Xiaomi Piston 3 that i received at same day which sounded pretty much the same (good bass extension, nice stereo image, boring mids and veiled/ almost non existent highs, lack of clarity)

however, when i put back the original cable the IM-02 sounded just perfect.

fyi my setup is X3 via E12, the tips i use on my IM-02 are the silicone tips from MA-750

May 30, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #1,988 of 3,060
How well do the Lunashop cables keep your ATs in-ear?

Using them all week at work, I've grown more adept with the memory wire. Once I decided they ought to be tight-fitted round the ear, the cable was more comfortable. It holds them in very well, and you don't notice them as much.

I'm a little worried about how flexible the Lunashop cable is. The one I ordered is plastic-coated. If it doesn't drape well, it mightn't hold the IEM in place.

May 31, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #1,989 of 3,060
  How well do the Lunashop cables keep your ATs in-ear?

Using them all week at work, I've grown more adept with the memory wire. Once I decided they ought to be tight-fitted round the ear, the cable was more comfortable. It holds them in very well, and you don't notice them as much.

I'm a little worried about how flexible the Lunashop cable is. The one I ordered is plastic-coated. If it doesn't drape well, it mightn't hold the IEM in place.

It depends on the pliability of the material. Some plastic wrapped cables can be difficult to stay in place - they tend to straighten out or coil more often than not. In such cases, the choker is your friend. Try pulling the choker as close to your chin as possible. It'll help to keep the wires over and behind your ears. That way, the IEM should stay in place.

I have some Lunashop cables, but they are both cloth wrapped. Very comfortable and flexible.

Jun 1, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #1,991 of 3,060
Lunashops does take about 30 days with thier orders. It's pretty common.

Best to order and forget for a while.

I waited 30+ days for a few sets of tips once, when they arrived they'd sent small instead of large.
redface.gif

+1. That's right! I ordered from Lunashop quite often. Sometime 3 weeks, sometime could take 1.5 months to arrive. Order and forget for a while. Agree on that.
My last order now already more than 5 weeks, haven't arrived. 
redface.gif

recent offer at Jaben Singapore:

Interesting! Thanks for the info!

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #1,992 of 3,060
I think the IM03s must have been made with Amy Winehouse in mind. Her records sound SO damn good.

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #1,993 of 3,060

wink.gif

beyersmile.png

Slightly more treble than stock cable is what I experienced. But a lot more comfortable due to lack of memory cable. I did have problem with it's plug, but it's too much of a pain to ask for a replacement and it still works. So I'm still using it. For $25 I can't complain.

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #1,994 of 3,060
Completely no comfort for me with my IM70 over half year of owning.
All stock tips not for me - bad isolation and bad kept in my ears.
Each time putting them in ears I doing two-minute ritual.
Yesterday i took my bike and old cheap Creative EP-630 and you know yes sound is not good as IM70 but absolutely comfortable even when i go to cross-country and best isolation. Not fall off even under shaking.
I am waiting now my new tips from ebay (Logitech UE 600vi) and it will be my last try.
Unfortunately this year with IM70 was not good for me. Very good sound, but not comfy.

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #1,995 of 3,060
  Completely no comfort for me with my IM70 over half year of owning.
All stock tips not for me - bad isolation and bad kept in my ears.
Each time putting them in ears I doing two-minute ritual.
Yesterday i took my bike and old cheap Creative EP-630 and you know yes sound is not good as IM70 but absolutely comfortable even when i go to cross-country and best isolation. Not fall off even under shaking.
I am waiting now my new tips from ebay (Logitech UE 600vi) and it will be my last try.
Unfortunately this year with IM70 was not good for me. Very good sound, but not comfy.

Seems like you need small things, like CX3.00!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back