Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Feb 21, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #1,621 of 3,060
The im02s are fine paired with a mobile phone, they're only 36 ohms and are easily driven. They sound great plugged into my galaxy s5, they are not a bassy iem though. The only issue I had was getting a good seal due to the short nozzle length.

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #1,623 of 3,060
is the sound of IM70 better than the ckr9? the ckr9 costing much more. I can not change the cable and the housing is extremely large. also the ckr9 has 2 dynamic driver, but which sounds a samrtphone better?
greets jens

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #1,625 of 3,060
I have the C5 and love it; I generally run the gain on high (even though low gain is more than enough) and occasionally turn on the bass boost. Amazing amp. I don't have any comparisons though, but the bass boost is amazing. 

That's the problem that I have. I have the JDS Labs C5 with an iPod Classic and IM50 and with the bass off it sounds dull and with the bass boost on it's too much. I paired the IM50 with the Topping NX1 and it sounded really darn good. The bass felt natural and even though the NX1 has a smaller soundstage and lesser detail than than the JDS C5 it works better with the IM50 atleast to my ears.

Since im looking too purchase the IM02 I was asking which amp is better paired with it? JDS Labs C5, Sony PHA-1, Sony PHA-2, Sony PHA-1A, or the Fostex HP-P1.

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #1,626 of 3,060
I wanted to order the IM70 at cdjapan. Unfortunately, they are no longer in the program. knows its a reputable shop in japan where I can buy these in ear, or a reputable ebay seller?

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #1,627 of 3,060
  is the sound of IM70 better than the ckr9? the ckr9 costing much more. I can not change the cable and the housing is extremely large. also the ckr9 has 2 dynamic driver, but which sounds a samrtphone better?
greets jens

From a technical standpoint the CKR9 is better, but it depends on what you listen to. In short, IM70 is more bassy, less lean, smoother. CKR9 has more detail, better layering and depth, and better quality bass. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #1,629 of 3,060
  Oh, thanks for the answer .... then would be the ckr9 the better choice? not with the cable behind the ears as I would like.

It depends on preference. If you like warm and smooth sound, you'll like the IM70. If you like a clear and detailed sound, you'll like the CKR9. IM70 has removable cables and over ear design, but CKR9 has better sound quality. It's just about what suits your needs. Both are excellent IEMs. 

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #1,630 of 3,060
That's the problem that I have. I have the JDS Labs C5 with an iPod Classic and IM50 and with the bass off it sounds dull and with the bass boost on it's too much. I paired the IM50 with the Topping NX1 and it sounded really darn good. The bass felt natural and even though the NX1 has a smaller soundstage and lesser detail than than the JDS C5 it works better with the IM50 atleast to my ears.

Since im looking too purchase the IM02 I was asking which amp is better paired with it? JDS Labs C5, Sony PHA-1, Sony PHA-2, Sony PHA-1A, or the Fostex HP-P1.

You need to go audition yourself.

Sound signature is very subjective, you may prefer the sound come out from amp A but there maybe equal of people hate it.

For IM02, a safe bet will to get an amp with a output impedance less than 2ohm if you cannot find a place in your area to do auditon.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #1,631 of 3,060

As far as I know C5 uses OPA2227 it can be harsh on highs for such dynamic and precise iems like IM02. The harshness is caused due to lack of details on highs in particular op amp. It sounds fine with any headphones except for those with accentuated details on highs, basically IM02 will reveal all deficiency of 2227 op amp which it struggles with on highs. However, in other 99% cases, C5 amp is a solid option. I would recommend Headstage arrow 5 on AD8620, it over kills OPA2227 in everything, specifically in details, and gives a neutral tonality with fast pace, or UHA-6Sii on OPA627 which can make IM02 smoother. Choice of amp for IM02 needs extra attention. 

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #1,632 of 3,060
As far as I know C5 uses OPA2227 it can be harsh on highs for such dynamic and precise iems like IM02. The harshness is caused due to lack of details on highs in particular op amp. It sounds fine with any headphones except for those with accentuated details on highs, basically IM02 will reveal all deficiency of 2227 op amp which it struggles with on highs. However, in other 99% cases, C5 amp is a solid option. I would recommend Headstage arrow 5 on AD8620, it over kills OPA2227 in everything, specifically in details, and gives a neutral tonality with fast pace, or UHA-6Sii on OPA627 which can make IM02 smoother. Choice of amp for IM02 needs extra attention. 

Thanks, I'll check out Headstage Arrow 5 but what about the Sony PHA-1, Sony PHA-2, Sony PHA-1A, or the Fostex HP-P1? I would like to use an amp/dac in one to use with the iPod Classic and IM02.

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #1,634 of 3,060
So today I finally received the IM50 from Cdjapan, and what a nice surprise! They added a free ATH carrying case to the order.
First impressions is that this is a good headset. And can't wait to see what the lunashops silver plated wire can do to the sound. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back