Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Feb 4, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #1,576 of 3,060
I am looking at the IM03 and am wondering if they're right for me, as I will not be able to try them out nearby.

My playlist consists of J-Pop, J-Rock, pop, and hip-hop.

Example pieces include:

- Aimer - Starringchild
- ROOKiEZ is PUNK'D - Complication (Still Struggle)
- Lady Gaga - Paparazzi
- Lupe Fiasco - The Show Goes On

I like a bit of warmth on the bass such as the bass on the ESW9A. 

I like my midranges a bit forward (ESW9A) but will not come off as nasally or harsh (UM Pro 10).

I am quite sensitive to sibilance, but as long if they're not very intrusive I should be alright.

Basically, if they sound like the ESW9A but with more air, detail, but still retaining the lush and warm sound then I'm sold.

Please lend your opinions!

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #1,577 of 3,060
  I am looking at the IM03 and am wondering if they're right for me, as I will not be able to try them out nearby.

My playlist consists of J-Pop, J-Rock, pop, and hip-hop.

Example pieces include:

- Aimer - Starringchild
- ROOKiEZ is PUNK'D - Complication (Still Struggle)
- Lady Gaga - Paparazzi
- Lupe Fiasco - The Show Goes On

I like a bit of warmth on the bass such as the bass on the ESW9A. 

I like my midranges a bit forward (ESW9A) but will not come off as nasally or harsh (UM Pro 10).

I am quite sensitive to sibilance, but as long if they're not very intrusive I should be alright.

Basically, if they sound like the ESW9A but with more air, detail, but still retaining the lush and warm sound then I'm sold.

Please lend your opinions!

Sounds like you might want the im70, warm sounding with forward mids and a slightly rolled off top end.

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #1,578 of 3,060
IM02 has more forward mid than 03 or 04 and it has less treble extension which is good with some recordings. The bass doesn't hold a candle to IM04. IM02 is not going to be warm. 

I found IM04 to be my favorite. The bass is surreal, detail is amazing, stage is big, there's more weight to vocal and mids, timber and texture is good. IM04 is warm but resolving and impactful with lots of energy, although it can have harsh treble until you pair it with something you like. I paired it with a few different things and didn't particularly enjoy it on DX90 as much as I do paired with O2 and other DAC's. Funny enough, I think it sounds better with high impedance. I listen with high gain on DX90 and found the IM04 isn't as sensitive as others in the IM series. But if you are looking for forward mid then IM04 isn't for you. I'm surprised by the negative comments IM04 has received. I didn't think much of it at first but I wasn't getting a good seal with the comply or medium tips. When I tried the large tips everything came into place. Wonderful sound. I have the AT cable on the way. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #1,579 of 3,060
What I have found is that the IM02 dissects the music, but with the IM04 you enjoy the music.
IM03 is the son or daughter of both if they mated.

Also, the IM04 loves some power, give it some amping and it sings all the better.

Cheers.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #1,584 of 3,060
  What I have found is that the IM02 dissects the music, but with the IM04 you enjoy the music.
IM03 is the son or daughter of both if they mated.

Also, the IM04 loves some power, give it some amping and it sings all the better.

Cheers.

Interesting analogy, but I do agree with you. I like the IM02's relatively clear and detailed sound, but the IM04 is a lot more musical and fun. My wife went for the former, and I chose the latter in a heartbeat.

On the other hand, I didn't care too much for the IM03.

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #1,586 of 3,060
So I'm frankly quite upset with accessoryjack at this point. Ordered the ATH IM70s from them a while back,and got a mail saying they were out of stock and wouldn't get any more ATH IM70s in stock... I will get a refund but this sucks..

Anyways I need to find somewhere else to buy these headphones. I've looked several places for shops that ships to Norway and found no luck..

Only place I could find was eBay, which I would not normally order from. But does this seller look good? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221682362031&alt=web

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #1,587 of 3,060
Does Treoo ship to Norway? Don't see why not...

http://store.treoo.com/main/audio-technica-ath-im70-in-ear-earphone.html

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #1,588 of 3,060
So I'm frankly quite upset with accessoryjack at this point. Ordered the ATH IM70s from them a while back,and got a mail saying they were out of stock and wouldn't get any more ATH IM70s in stock... I will get a refund but this sucks..

Anyways I need to find somewhere else to buy these headphones. I've looked several places for shops that ships to Norway and found no luck..

Only place I could find was eBay, which I would not normally order from. But does this seller look good? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221682362031&alt=web

J-Made on Amazon is quite reputable and has it in stock. I ordered my IM70 from them and the shipping was very fast.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FWGTZWQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DE0IWD29UIX2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back