Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Sep 11, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #1,021 of 3,060
I have the IM02, and it's marvellous. Definitely worth to upgrade from the IM70. Drastic increase in detail, clarity, and, most notably, soundstage. If you are sensitive to treble though, you have to be aware that these are incredibly revealing IEMs and moderately hard to pair (according to reviews, maybe I'm just lucky that all of my sources work fairly well). Therefore, if your recording is poor, these might not be the upgrade you are looking for.

Edit: spelling
frown.gif

Hi OlyPanda, thanks for the feedback. I am definitely getting accustomed to the IM70. At the moment I am fighting to get the right fit as they are not as easy to fit as the westones. I am currently trying the comply foam earbuds, I will try the silicone ones again to see the differences.

I am also thinking if it will be worth it to spend the extra money on a headphone I don't use daily. Can you give me an idea of the bass on the IM02, compared to the IM70?

thanks

Sep 11, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #1,022 of 3,060
  Sorry for quoting an old post but I'm interested with the cable. It looks similar to that wonderful braided cable of Piston's which is very pliable and lightweight. So, is it that as flexible as the Piston's? I've been looking for flexible and lightweight cables like Carbo Basso, JVC's FXD80 & FXT90.

However, the picture appears it doesn't have cable cinch, so I wonder if I could make that on my own. I've been using IM03 and IM70 for couple months and I find those are heavy and stiff, reminding me that horrible cable of GR07 MkII. The memory part also fatigues my ears easily and wish it could be rotate-able.

Yes, that cloth braided cable is similar to Pistons cable between remote/connector section.  It's very flexible and soft, goes nicely behind your ear and doesn't really need a cable cinch.  If you want to, I read that some use a small size rubber band to make "chin sliders"
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #1,024 of 3,060
  Ordered the cable. I have high expectation on this.

Make sure to post your impression once you get it.  For $20 you can't go wrong with it
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #1,025 of 3,060
So after listening to music for several hours, I noticed that the left headphone is slightly louder in certain songs. I flipped the headphones to make sure it wasn't me, and it still sounds louder.

What tests can I do to make sure it is an imbalance, before contacting the seller?

Thanks

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #1,027 of 3,060
How is the im02 about comfort and fit?
Is possible to wear it for sleeping?

I know the im50 can't, because is pretty big, but what about the im02?

It sound isolation is good?

IM02 fits somewhat better and more snugly in my ears compared to the IM50. However, for some strange reason I cannot wear it while sleeping. It presses against parts of my ears and causes some discomfort.

Sound isolation is better than IM50 and decent when compared to other closed iems. 

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #1,028 of 3,060
How is the im02 about comfort and fit?
Is possible to wear it for sleeping?

I know the im50 can't, because is pretty big, but what about the im02?

It sound isolation is good?

IM02's shell is smaller and more comfortable. FWIR their isolation is similar but I may be wrong since it was a long time ago when I listened to IM02.

Sep 17, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #1,030 of 3,060
OK. Thanks for the reply @ozkan and @omastic!

The possibility to sleep with it is important to me. I'll be checking the ck99m since it is smaller and have the same drivers from im2 (however is older, and don't have removible cables).

I don't think Ckm99 share the same drivers from IM02. Ckm99 is dynamic and IM02 is balanced armatures. You should check Phonak PFE iems for sleeping.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #1,033 of 3,060
Hey everyone, just received my ATH IM02 today. I'm no audiophile and I'm really bad in describing sound signature, but would be interested in your opinion about this: 

I was using ATH-CKM77 (http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-CKM77-Earbuds-Discontinued/dp/B0046JS1H0). No dedicated audio gear just my Xperia Z Ultra

I can hear  more details on the IM02, but somehow everything seems less engaging, lacks the punch and dark/muffled. Eg: I can hear a note on the piano but can't "feel" the strike/punch coming from it. Is this what IM02's neutral sound is like? 
I feel that I should've opted for a dynamic sounding earphone like IM70, which is probably closer to what CKM77 sounded like. Would really love to hear more details but can't really enjoy the musicality on IM02.

Still burning in (10 hours), will see how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #1,034 of 3,060
  Hey everyone, just received my ATH IM02 today. I'm no audiophile and I'm really bad in describing sound signature, but would be interested in your opinion about this: 

I was using ATH-CKM77 (http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-CKM77-Earbuds-Discontinued/dp/B0046JS1H0). No dedicated audio gear just my Xperia Z Ultra

I can hear  more details on the IM02, but somehow everything seems less engaging, lacks the punch and dark/muffled. Eg: I can hear a note on the piano but can't "feel" the strike/punch coming from it. Is this what IM02's neutral sound is like? 
I feel that I should've opted for a dynamic sounding earphone like IM70, which is probably closer to what CKM77 sounded like. Would really love to hear more details but can't really enjoy the musicality on IM02.

Still burning in (10 hours), will see how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks

Should have purchased the ckr9s instead of the im02s as it has a similar bass quantity to the ckm77s from memory. Its mids are engaging as well.

Or if your budget allowed, the im03s.

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #1,035 of 3,060
There is no objective evidence of burn-in in dynamic headphones, much less in BA drivers. If you have already discarded the possibility of your source being the issue, I suggest you exchange them now because the sound won't get better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back