Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Apr 3, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #451 of 3,060
  Sorry for your (and that buyer's) losses. :frowning2:

At least you gained a new ally, the im02s.

These guys are badass. The bass is phenomenal, just like the ck10s. The mids are still impressive, despite the lack of a liquid "colored" mid-range.

The highs, while not as sharp or fast as the ck10s, are definitely better than the ck10s as the silibance can be controlled, the highs are also thicker, as is the midrange..

bass included!

This is my identical to my impression. I want to cautious because I only just got them but they don't seem to have that AT midrange coloration.

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #452 of 3,060

A pair of earphones made with pipe cleaners and cable ties would be more durable than Hifiman gear! I had one of the very early pairs of RE-400s and the left channel went within a few months. I got a replacement pair which are still going though.

SQ wise the IM02 have more bass than the RE400, that much I know already. But my early impression is that they have a broadly similar sound sig with more detail and extension.

PPPPPPFFTT

A BA beating a dynamic in bass quantity?

200_s.gif

NAH, You must be trippin' dawg!

Edit: Glad you have similar impressions to my quick write up.

I will be able to evaluate it further once I get the ostrys...

And of course, my iem gang in easter (look up the sig if you want to know the iem inventory of mine.)

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #453 of 3,060
  PPPPPPFFTT

A BA beating a dynamic in bass quantity?

NAH, You must be trippin' dawg!

Edit: Glad you have similar impressions to my quick write up.

I will be able to evaluate it further once I get the ostrys...

And of course, my iem gang in easter (look up the sig if you want to know the iem inventory of mine.)

Early impressions, it could just be the bass standing out more because it is tighter and deeper, rather than more quantity. 

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #454 of 3,060

Early impressions, it could just be the bass standing out more because it is tighter and deeper, rather than more quantity. 

I'm just playing, lol.

Enjoy them, hopefully it's not just the impressions, but a good fact that it has a bit more bass quantity than the re400s.

Definitely tight, and deep. Somewhat full, but also wonderful in texture. Pretty quick as well to be honest, quicker than the xba-40s I had. Don't know about the H3s, I didn't compare them yet.

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #456 of 3,060
Some more thoughts on the IM02... really enjoying them. Without owning the ER-4S anymore I don't want to make too close a comparison. But I will say this. The reason why I (and tons of others) loved the ER-4 was that it just sounds right, no coloration, nothing to EQ, loads of detail and everything sounds like it should. With the ER-4 the phones just disappear into the background leaving nothing but the music. So far I feel the same way about the IM02. It has more bass and is warmer than the ER-4 but tonally there's nothing I want to EQ, it just sounds right to me, natural and accurate.

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #458 of 3,060
  sounds really great... 0 coloration sound great, but I like a hint of warmth to for livening up the sound

that's the im02 for you! But if you have no budget, the im03 may be a bit more apparent with the warmth. And, additional bass!

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #459 of 3,060
  that's the im02 for you! But if you have no budget, the im03 may be a bit more apparent with the warmth. And, additional bass!

nah, I like the amount of bass my ad700x and old re400 have, no more bass for me! also like to have not too much warmth, just a bit like re400, on paper etymotic er4pt sounds good with complete neutral sound for true authentic experience, but in practice it can sound pretty dry. just a hint of warmth helps make the sound richer for me without coloring it heavily

Apr 4, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #461 of 3,060
Anyone who has the IM02 compare it to the RE-272?

I have the RE272 but not the IM02. When I've the time I'll make a trip down to audition the IM02 and probably make a short comparison. But in short, RE272 is pretty flat and neutral. Bass is definitely not the emphasis and it's armed with real good separation and accuracy. Able to keep up with extremely fast paced music as well. Really quite a top tier class sound.

Apr 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #462 of 3,060
I have the RE272 but not the IM02. When I've the time I'll make a trip down to audition the IM02 and probably make a short comparison. But in short, RE272 is pretty flat and neutral. Bass is definitely not the emphasis and it's armed with real good separation and accuracy. Able to keep up with extremely fast paced music as well. Really quite a top tier class sound.

How do you find the treble on it? I'm really liking the IM02 but it maybe lacks a little speed and treble extension, but it's so hard to get that without going into sibilance territory.

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #463 of 3,060
  How do you find the treble on it? I'm really liking the IM02 but it maybe lacks a little speed and treble extension, but it's so hard to get that without going into sibilance territory.

I felt as though my RE-400 were quite speedy and crispy on the high and like my AD700X, are you saying the IM02 has slower and smoother high like hd600?

from what I understand the IM04 is very similar to the hd6xx and is basically HD650: The IEM

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #464 of 3,060
Some more thoughts on the IM02 v RE-400... the IM02 is easier to drive! On the whole these two have a broadly similar sound sig. The IM02 is like the big brother, bigger, faster, more extension, more space and more clarity. I think bass wise, the IM02 is not warmer than the RE-400, its bass is better controlled. The RE-400 is a bit smoother sounding and less crisp and clear.

Properly amped, I think I'd retract my earlier call about wanting more treble extension, they are very crisp and clear up top, but still no hint of sibilance. Just listening to the Failure cover of Depeche Mode's enjoy the silence, the vocal on this is very sibilance prone but is no problem. 

The 02 seems to respond well to amping, I'm using a headstage arrow and I think it prefers the highest gain setting.

I'm using the smart phone cable at the moment and haven't noticed any degradation. I also have them cable down at the moment, it's not ideal but might be workable and it saves messing around getting the cable properly behind your ears when you put them on. The isolation however is a bit poor for a canal phone, they leak a bit.

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #465 of 3,060
  I felt as though my RE-400 were quite speedy and crispy on the high and like my AD700X, are you saying the IM02 has slower and smoother high like hd600?

from what I understand the IM04 is very similar to the hd6xx and is basically HD650: The IEM

No, definitely not, it is slightly warm but nice and clear with good speed. It's not as fast or sparkly as the DBA-02. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back