Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Apr 2, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #437 of 3,060
I have just purchased
Audio Technica IM03 and a JDS labs C5D to use with my Note 3 over UAC1

This is my first foray into sound beyond whatever headphones comes with whatever phone I happen to own at the time.  After years of lurking, I'm taking the dive.

Wish me luck, I will give feedback of the experience.  Sorry I wont have any expert opinions or years of history / experience to compare against to give my words any value, but I will at least let you guys know how it goes.

From my research both devices have a lot of merits, but my the actual reasons for choosing this combo are as follows.

The JDS labs C5 Amp has great reviews and is dead quiet.
The Dac is neutral I hope compliments with the IM03  being musical.

The C5D should let me explore what the IM03 is capable of.  My only concern is that they somehow end up not being a good pairing.  I think this is unlikely.  Will have to see :)  Ty for reading!

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #438 of 3,060
has anyone done a comparison between the im02 and a twfk based iem like ue700/dba-02 ?

My IM02s are somewhere in the post office still, they couldn't find them when I went this arvo so I have to go tomorrow :frowning2:
I'm getting these to replace the DB-02II which is far to hot and harsh. I still have them so I'll do a comparison when I get the new ones.

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #439 of 3,060
  I have just purchased
Audio Technica IM03 and a JDS labs C5D to use with my Note 3 over UAC1

This is my first foray into sound beyond whatever headphones comes with whatever phone I happen to own at the time.  After years of lurking, I'm taking the dive.

Wish me luck, I will give feedback of the experience.  Sorry I wont have any expert opinions or years of history / experience to compare against to give my words any value, but I will at least let you guys know how it goes.

From my research both devices have a lot of merits, but my the actual reasons for choosing this combo are as follows.

The JDS labs C5 Amp has great reviews and is dead quiet.
The Dac is neutral I hope compliments with the IM03  being musical.

The C5D should let me explore what the IM03 is capable of.  My only concern is that they somehow end up not being a good pairing.  I think this is unlikely.  Will have to see :)  Ty for reading!

Don't sweat, they will sound excellent. People on here knit pick about tiny subtle differences, especially over pairing IMO. Having good quality gear is FAR more important than pairing. Worry about that down the track when you've caught the disease.

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #440 of 3,060

My IM02s are somewhere in the post office still, they couldn't find them when I went this arvo so I have to go tomorrow :frowning2:
I'm getting these to replace the DB-02II which is far to hot and harsh. I still have them so I'll do a comparison when I get the new ones.

Awesome I look forward to it :)
The UE700 with comply foam tips is actually my favourite IEM of all times, I can have in my ears for hours. 
Even though I know it's not the best sounding, I find myself enjoying it the most for some reason. With the complies I find the treble to be not sibilant at all (it burns with normal silicone ones).
But as most of you know already, it has really bad build quality, the cable keeps breaking where it joins the plug and the cable quality itself is quite trash.
So if the IM02 sounds near/better than I might go for it :)

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #441 of 3,060
So after some wrangling at the post office, I got the IM02s today. I also ordered the smart phone cable but that wasn't in the package, so either it's coming separately or more likely Chuya online screwed up.

I've had brief listen straight from my iPhone. Initial impressions are positive. My canal-phone journey would have ended for good long ago with the ER-4S, but I have narrow ear canals and condition caused by swimming a lot in cold water that makes my canals sensitive, so I can't tolerate deep insertion. Ever since I've been searching for that beautiful ety flatness. My most recent attempts were the RE-400, they are very nice, especially for $100 bucks, easy to fit, warm, smooth and forgiving and not muddy. But they lack a bit in detail and imaging. So I tried the Fischer DBA-02IIs. They have very impressive detail but were far too bright, harsh and metallic sounding.

So from there I've arrived at the IM02. Build quality is pretty standard for AT. The cable is thickish but flexible. The case is standard. This is the first time I've had over-ear-only earphones and my initial impression is that they are a pain, much more difficult to get in and out. 

Sound-wise they seem to be shaping up as what I was looking for. Definitely on the warm side. The bass is deep and clean. But they are still very clear, natural and detailed through the mids and highs, so the overall sound is quite balanced and neutral. I tried a track I use as a sibilance tester. It is poorly mixed with the drums too high in the mix and lots of cymbals. On smooth, darkish phones like the HD-650 or RE-400 the balance on this track is good. On hot, splashy phones, it's unlistenable. On neutral phones the cymbals are too loud but not sibilant and that's wear the IM02 sits.

They're not quite as fast and sparkly as the DBA-02, but the treble is MUCH smoother and less hot. 
I'll post some more impressions when I've had more time with them and given them a try with my iMod and Arrow. In the meantime, some eye-candy...

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #442 of 3,060
So after some wrangling at the post office, I got the IM02s today. I also ordered the smart phone cable but that wasn't in the package, so either it's coming separately or more likely Chuya online screwed up.

I've had brief listen straight from my iPhone. Initial impressions are positive. My canal-phone journey would have ended for good long ago with the ER-4S, but I have narrow ear canals and condition caused by swimming a lot in cold water that makes my canals sensitive, so I can't tolerate deep insertion. Ever since I've been searching for that beautiful ety flatness. My most recent attempts were the RE-400, they are very nice, especially for $100 bucks, easy to fit, warm, smooth and forgiving and not muddy. But they lack a bit in detail and imaging. So I tried the Fischer DBA-02IIs. They have very impressive detail but were far too bright, harsh and metallic sounding.

So from there I've arrived at the IM02. Build quality is pretty standard for AT. The cable is thickish but flexible. The case is standard. This is the first time I've had over-ear-only earphones and my initial impression is that they are a pain, much more difficult to get in and out. 

Sound-wise they seem to be shaping up as what I was looking for. Definitely on the warm side. The bass is deep and clean. But they are still very clear, natural and detailed through the mids and highs, so the overall sound is quite balanced and neutral. I tried a track I use as a sibilance tester. It is poorly mixed with the drums too high in the mix and lots of cymbals. On smooth, darkish phones like the HD-650 or RE-400 the balance on this track is good. On hot, splashy phones, it's unlistenable. On neutral phones the cymbals are too loud but not sibilant and that's wear the IM02 sits.

They're not quite as fast and sparkly as the DBA-02, but the treble is MUCH smoother and less hot. 
I'll post some more impressions when I've had more time with them and given them a try with my iMod and Arrow. In the meantime, some eye-candy...

Looking forward to more of your thoughts on their neutrality and how they stack up to your er4s memories.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #445 of 3,060
can't decide between these and the shure se425, or if I should get a bit more and grab the etymotic ER4PT

how's the durability of these 3 iems? the most durable and the one that will last the longest will get the buy from me...

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #447 of 3,060
Looking forward to more of your thoughts on their neutrality and how they stack up to your er4s memories.

You would think it impossible from AT and Ety could appear in the same sentence with their usual midrange coloration. Even the AD2000X have that basic AT house sound.
I wish I still had the Ety's so I could compare them more closely. The saddest part of the story is I sold them on head-fi years ago and the buyer never got them. So I either got scammed or they got lost in the post and never got paid.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #448 of 3,060

You would think it impossible from AT and Ety could appear in the same sentence with their usual midrange coloration. Even the AD2000X have that basic AT house sound.
I wish I still had the Ety's so I could compare them more closely. The saddest part of the story is I sold them on head-fi years ago and the buyer never got them. So I either got scammed or they got lost in the post and never got paid.

Sorry for your (and that buyer's) losses. :frowning2:

At least you gained a new ally, the im02s.

These guys are badass. The bass is phenomenal, just like the ck10s. The mids are still impressive, despite the lack of a liquid "colored" mid-range.

The highs, while not as sharp or fast as the ck10s, are definitely better than the ck10s as the silibance can be controlled, the highs are also thicker, as is the midrange..

bass included!

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #449 of 3,060
nvm the earlier post, I just a pair of these used off ebay for $170 AUD. (only used for like 1 week)

cant wait to test these out... hope my impulse buy didn't give me a pair of earphones with **** durability... but they look very solid. so im hopeful 

also anyone compared these to RE400? i used to have those so even if they only sound just as good as the re400 ill be very happy if a big step up from the re400s in durability... those things sounded great but broke in 2 weeks.

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #450 of 3,060
  nvm the earlier post, I just a pair of these used off ebay for $170 AUD. (only used for like 1 week)

cant wait to test these out... hope my impulse buy didn't give me a pair of earphones with **** durability... but they look very solid. so im hopeful 

also anyone compared these to RE400? i used to have those so even if they only sound just as good as the re400 ill be very happy if a big step up from the re400s in durability... those things sounded great but broke in 2 weeks.

A pair of earphones made with pipe cleaners and cable ties would be more durable than Hifiman gear! I had one of the very early pairs of RE-400s and the left channel went within a few months. I got a replacement pair which are still going though.

SQ wise the IM02 have more bass than the RE400, that much I know already. But my early impression is that they have a broadly similar sound sig with more detail and extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back