Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Mar 11, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #272 of 3,060
  Am considering getting the IM-02 / 03. Which would be the one with a bigger soundstage and has more clarity/detail? Which do you guys prefer?

IMHO, IM02 and IM03 have about the same level of detail, clarity, and soundstage size. But IM03 sounds smoother, and more player friendly.
IM02 when paired right, sounds way beyond it's price tag.  More value for the money.

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #273 of 3,060
  For curiosities sake, how well built is the IM70? I believe I read somewhere that the ATH-M50 was built like a tank. So is it built well, could it be referred to as built like a hummvee or something? =P

Also, for the detachable cables, will the IM01-03 series work for the IM70's? Or do they have different connectors?

Edit: Any IEM's that is around the $100 mark of the IM70 with an over ear wire/clip type figuration. Plus how the Im70 sits, or the Shure 215, kind of low profile?

I stepped on my 70s once lol. I was at the mall, fiddling about with the IEMs trying to get them untangled, with shopping bags in hand, and they just kind of dropped onto the ground. I stepped onto the left unit before I knew what was going on but luckily it was none the worse for wear. This thing is truly built like a tank

taking into account build quality/sound quality, I don't think anything approaches the 50s/70s in the $100ish price bracket.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #274 of 3,060
bought IM03 2months ago. using ipod nano 7g as source. it sound great 
etysmile.gif

now waiting AT-HDC5/1.2 cable arrive.

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #276 of 3,060

IMHO, IM02 and IM03 have about the same level of detail, clarity, and soundstage size. But IM03 sounds smoother, and more player friendly.
IM02 when paired right, sounds way beyond it's price tag.  More value for the money.

Don't remember if I asked you this before, but what do you think about the bass quantity of IM02 vs IM03?  I can imagine that warmer signature of IM03 with less brightens can make even the same amount of bass quantity in both appear as more bass in IM03.  Do you recall by memory how did they compare in terms of bass?

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #279 of 3,060
I've compared the IM02 and IM03 very briefly, the 03 in my opinion is less clear to the level where the clarity became lacking. The salesmen also identified the im01 and im02 to be the better of the bunch. However comparing the 01 and 02, the 02 have greater clarity and detail.

The 02 however, have a rather upfront "in your face" kind of sound, which I worry might cause listening fatigue though clarity and detail is faultless, it is so good that it beats the W4R and 535. The fit isn't exactly very nice either and I expect it to cause wearing fatigue after long period of time for me at least.

I want to get them despite of their weaknesses as their strengths completely overweigh the weaknesses and at a meagre $200... Ask no more just buy it!!! Sadly they just recently ran out of stock here in Singapore and I have to wait till April to get my hands on a pair.

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #280 of 3,060
Soo would the dx50, being bright & kind of analytical, be a good match with the im02?
It has the low impedence going for it at least

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #281 of 3,060

IM03 is way to go for You. If You dont mind size, then Sony XBA-H3 is also exellent buy.

They really sound different, imho. The IM03 has more sparkle, and is more neutral.
the H3 is darker and has a fuller low end.
The IM03 goes deep and punches well, without loosing any of the detail from the high end.
The H3 has detail but not to the same level.
The H3 has more of a fun signature, that works really well with neutral or bright daps, the IM03 works better with daps that are a bit darker.

The IM03 responds really well to amping, have not noticed that with the H3.

For my ears, the physical fit on the IM03 was much easier than the rather clunky H3. Really had a difficult time finding tips that worked for me with the XBA-H3's.

I like both, but they are different.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #282 of 3,060

Don't remember if I asked you this before, but what do you think about the bass quantity of IM02 vs IM03?  I can imagine that warmer signature of IM03 with less brightens can make even the same amount of bass quantity in both appear as more bass in IM03.  Do you recall by memory how did they compare in terms of bass?

From memory, when paired with the matching player / amp, bass volume is about the same. IM02 bass might be a bit more detail, but also dryer.  IM03 bass sounds nicer to me, but not much.  IM02 easily gets too bright when paired with high output impedance player / amp, at that setup, bass also suffer a lot as the treble become too dominant.

I've compared the IM02 and IM03 very briefly, the 03 in my opinion is less clear to the level where the clarity became lacking. 

Depending on the player or amp.  If you tried with AK100, the output impedance of AK100 is rather too high for IM03, and will soften the treble and reduces the clarity.  With good matching player / amp, IM03 detail and clarity shines.  

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #283 of 3,060

They really sound different, imho. The IM03 has more sparkle, and is more neutral.
the H3 is darker and has a fuller low end.
The IM03 goes deep and punches well, without loosing any of the detail from the high end.
The H3 has detail but not to the same level.
The H3 has more of a fun signature, that works really well with neutral or bright daps, the IM03 works better with daps that are a bit darker.

The IM03 responds really well to amping, have not noticed that with the H3.

For my ears, the physical fit on the IM03 was much easier than the rather clunky H3. Really had a difficult time finding tips that worked for me with the XBA-H3's.

I like both, but they are different.

Accurate impression! Thumbs up!

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #285 of 3,060
I actually found it to sound pretty good paired up with FiiO X5 and Galaxy Note 2.

Btw, can't wait to try IM03.  There is a possibility I might be able to get my hands on a pair so I can do comparison between IM02 and IM03.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back