Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Mar 5, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #211 of 3,060
The vocals on the IM50 seem to be a touch grittier than the 70. I auditioned both for a while, and that was the biggest point of comparison between the 2 IEMS: Vocal reproduction on the 70 was better. Also, it's been mentioned before, but these certainly aren't basshead IEMS, even though the bass hits hard. Bass decay is a little quick, and after some time I find sub-bass reproduction (which is more important for basshead gear IMO) to be pretty neutral. The great thing though is that the bass does not bleed into the other frequencies, after owning a bunch of bassy IEMs I just wanted something that sounded clear, and while it does look like the IM-02 and up are the clarity champs, the 50 and 70 can't be very far behind.

An IM-02 purchase is definitely on the cards for me, the 70s were a bit of an impulse buy and they were cheaper lol. Don't regret the IM70 purchase one bit though.

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #212 of 3,060
The vocals on the IM50 seem to be a touch grittier than the 70. I auditioned both for a while, and that was the biggest point of comparison between the 2 IEMS: Vocal reproduction on the 70 was better. Also, it's been mentioned before, but these certainly aren't basshead IEMS, even though the bass hits hard. Bass decay is a little quick, and after some time I find sub-bass reproduction (which is more important for basshead gear IMO) to be pretty neutral. The great thing though is that the bass does not bleed into the other frequencies, after owning a bunch of bassy IEMs I just wanted something that sounded clear, and while it does look like the IM-02 and up are the clarity champs, the 50 and 70 can't be very far behind.

An IM-02 purchase is definitely on the cards for me, the 70s were a bit of an impulse buy and they were cheaper lol. Don't regret the IM70 purchase one bit though.

I suppose if you're looking for precision and clarity you may want to try out RE-272 or ER4S too. They're amazing. :)

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #213 of 3,060
Interesting thing about IM50/70 is that everyone hears differently - some say that 50 has more bass, others that 70.

Haha certainly. I'm one of them who finds that IM70 to have a slightly larger bass quantity. But however after some burn in or I should say some usage, the bass on IM50 seemed to be more controlled and tighter which isn't as much in quantity anymore.

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #214 of 3,060
I don't find them all that comfortable right now. Need the right tips. They will be here tomorrow. Ordered the Comply TS500 and T500 to cover all bases. The shipped T500 mediums are too small for my ears. The large silicones are okay but I don't like the feel in my ears. I'd rather have a shallower fit and think the Ts500s will be the perfect answer.

Compared to my Yamaha EPh-100s it is a different ball of wax. The treble on the 70s is less sibilant but a tad less articulate. The bass is diffidently weightier without mucking with the mids. Once I can seat them properly in my ears, I will be better able to evaluate the sound quality.

I'm using Philips silicone tips on my IM70, to me they fit perfectly and also sound great.

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #219 of 3,060
I suppose if you're looking for precision and clarity you may want to try out RE-272 or ER4S too. They're amazing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also ATH-IM02 and ATH-IM03 
wink_face.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #220 of 3,060

Also ATH-IM02 and ATH-IM03 
wink_face.gif

+1000 this

Beats the ck10s, have a pretty sweet signature with some warmth in it, and has a good amount of bass *in fact, a bit more bass than that of the ck10s) and is pretty good in build quality. 
atsmile.gif

Tried to mod them by using a different material than foam, didn't work out..

So much for extra bass for a basshead. 
redface.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #221 of 3,060
I usually listen to my beyerdynamic t1 but I wanted a decent set of iem to use with my phone without spending that much as I've blown too much money thanks to this site so I ordered the im70. I hope its as good as some of you say it is. Is it better than the klipsch s4? My gf has those and they sound decent for the money but I wanted something different.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back